Bilbo Baggins

Default noisy gas meter

At the weekend we had a new heating and hot water system installed. We went
the way of Unvented Mains Pressure and had a new Potterton boiler and a
Megaflow system.

We are really delighted with the performance (instant power showers) and the
quietness of it but since the work was done I have noticed a strange noise
coming from the gas meter.

When the gas is flowing the meter makes a burbling noise (rather like
bubbling water). Everything works fine otherwise and it could be that the
meter has always done this.

Am I being paranoid?

KW

BillR

Bilbo Baggins wrote:
At the weekend we had a new heating and hot water system installed.
We went the way of Unvented Mains Pressure and had a new Potterton
boiler and a Megaflow system.

We are really delighted with the performance (instant power showers)
and the quietness of it but since the work was done I have noticed a
strange noise coming from the gas meter.

When the gas is flowing the meter makes a burbling noise (rather like
bubbling water). Everything works fine otherwise and it could be
that the meter has always done this.

Am I being paranoid?

Mine has always done this.
It probably due to fact that the new setup is taking far more gas, making it
more noticeable :-)

tarquinlinbin

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 22:29:27 +0100, "Bilbo Baggins"
wrote:

At the weekend we had a new heating and hot water system installed. We went
the way of Unvented Mains Pressure and had a new Potterton boiler and a
Megaflow system.

We are really delighted with the performance (instant power showers) and the
quietness of it but since the work was done I have noticed a strange noise
coming from the gas meter.

When the gas is flowing the meter makes a burbling noise (rather like
bubbling water). Everything works fine otherwise and it could be that the
meter has always done this.

Am I being paranoid?

Phone Transco free of chrage on 0800111999 to come and check it....

Ed Sirett

Bilbo Baggins wrote:

At the weekend we had a new heating and hot water system installed. We went
the way of Unvented Mains Pressure and had a new Potterton boiler and a
Megaflow system.

We are really delighted with the performance (instant power showers) and the
quietness of it but since the work was done I have noticed a strange noise
coming from the gas meter.

When the gas is flowing the meter makes a burbling noise (rather like
bubbling water). Everything works fine otherwise and it could be that the
meter has always done this.

Am I being paranoid?

From a safety point, yes.

The meter will probably make wheezing noises when passing 2 m^3/hr or
more (about 20kW).
The mater may well be seriously under or overcharging you though.
Also the meter outlet pressure may be fluctuating unacceptably (although
they gas installer should have spotted that --- um?)

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk