Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default OT The best things in life are free

Trust me, they are not.

Two examples - Metro and the Evening Standard.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/01/2014 19:48, ARW wrote:
Trust me, they are not.

Two examples - Metro and the Evening Standard.

Nah, ES smells sweeter than the Metro...

Working in London getting you down?

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 25 Jan 2014 19:48:33 -0000, "ARW"
wrote:

Trust me, they are not.

Two examples - Metro and the Evening Standard.

Walking in London last year I had so many free newspapers like that
shoved at us that if was possible to carry them home you could have
free heat for the evening in a fireplace.

G.Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Adrian C" wrote in message
On 25/01/2014 19:48, ARW wrote:
Trust me, they are not.

Two examples - Metro and the Evening Standard.

Nah, ES smells sweeter than the Metro...

Working in London getting you down?

No. I am loving it.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
That depends what use you make of them. For fish and chips they have to be
better than paid for ones.
Brian

Londoners cannot do two things.

1. Server proper fish and chips
2. Pull pint of beer.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/01/2014 19:48, ARW wrote:
Trust me, they are not.

Two examples - Metro and the Evening Standard.

Thank you very much - I now have The Flying Lizards swooping and
whirling around in my head...

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 26 Jan 2014 10:10:45 -0000
"ARW" wrote:

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
That depends what use you make of them. For fish and chips they
have to be better than paid for ones.
Brian

Londoners cannot do two things.

1. Server proper fish and chips
2. Pull pint of beer.

You need to come out to the country, such as Suffolk or Norfolk. Where
the fish is landed, and the beer is brewed.

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Trust me, they are not.

Two examples - Metro and the Evening Standard.

They're stopping our delivered free paper which now means I'll have to
visit the tram stop to get a copy of the metro every now and again.
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" wrote:

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
That depends what use you make of them. For fish and chips they
have to be better than paid for ones.
Brian

Londoners cannot do two things.

1. Server proper fish and chips
2. Pull pint of beer.

You need to come out to the country, such as Suffolk or Norfolk. Where
the fish is landed, and the beer is brewed.

beer is still brewed in Chiswick - which is part of London.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" wrote in message
"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
That depends what use you make of them. For fish and chips they have to
be better than paid for ones.
Brian

Londoners cannot do two things.

1. Server proper fish and chips
2. Pull pint of beer.

3. Speak English correctly.
4. Offer directions.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"ARW" wrote:

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
That depends what use you make of them. For fish and chips they
have to be better than paid for ones.
Brian

Londoners cannot do two things.

1. Server proper fish and chips
2. Pull pint of beer.

You need to come out to the country, such as Suffolk or Norfolk. Where
the fish is landed, and the beer is brewed.

I can watch the fish landing at Filey and Barnsley has it's own brewery:-)

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Mr Pounder" wrote in message

"ARW" wrote in message
"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
That depends what use you make of them. For fish and chips they have to
be better than paid for ones.
Brian

Londoners cannot do two things.

1. Server proper fish and chips
2. Pull pint of beer.

3. Speak English correctly.
4. Offer directions.

But they are bloody good at handing out parking tickets. Yes I will appeal
against it.

The bit that surprises me is how some of them treat the homeless bloke that
is sleeping under our scaffolding.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" wrote:

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
That depends what use you make of them. For fish and chips they
have to be better than paid for ones.
Brian

Londoners cannot do two things.

1. Server proper fish and chips
2. Pull pint of beer.

You need to come out to the country, such as Suffolk or Norfolk.
Where the fish is landed, and the beer is brewed.

I can watch the fish landing at Filey and Barnsley has it's own
brewery:-)

But they aren't in London, which was your complaint.

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" wrote in message
"Mr Pounder" wrote in message

"ARW" wrote in message
"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
That depends what use you make of them. For fish and chips they have to
be better than paid for ones.
Brian

Londoners cannot do two things.

1. Server proper fish and chips
2. Pull pint of beer.

3. Speak English correctly.
4. Offer directions.

But they are bloody good at handing out parking tickets. Yes I will appeal
against it.

The bit that surprises me is how some of them treat the homeless bloke
that is sleeping under our scaffolding.

You don't stand a chance.
I once got nicked for driving through the Congestion Charge area without
paying. I honestly did not know what to do.
I appealed explaining my stupidity and that I had set satnav to avoid "toll
charges". Eventually I got a 3 page letter back from them telling me to ****
off.
I have always hated everything about London.
How is the homeless bloke treated?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"ARW" wrote:

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
That depends what use you make of them. For fish and chips they
have to be better than paid for ones.
Brian

Londoners cannot do two things.

1. Server proper fish and chips
2. Pull pint of beer.

You need to come out to the country, such as Suffolk or Norfolk.
Where the fish is landed, and the beer is brewed.

I can watch the fish landing at Filey and Barnsley has it's own
brewery:-)

But they aren't in London, which was your complaint.

There is always Billingsgate for the smell of fish.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Mr Pounder" wrote in message

"ARW" wrote in message
"Mr Pounder" wrote in message

"ARW" wrote in message
"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
That depends what use you make of them. For fish and chips they have
to be better than paid for ones.
Brian

Londoners cannot do two things.

1. Server proper fish and chips
2. Pull pint of beer.

3. Speak English correctly.
4. Offer directions.

But they are bloody good at handing out parking tickets. Yes I will
appeal against it.

The bit that surprises me is how some of them treat the homeless bloke
that is sleeping under our scaffolding.

You don't stand a chance.

********. I successully appealed against the last one and I will successully
appeal against this one.

I once got nicked for driving through the Congestion Charge area without
paying. I honestly did not know what to do.
I appealed explaining my stupidity and that I had set satnav to avoid
"toll charges". Eventually I got a 3 page letter back from them telling me
to **** off.
I have always hated everything about London.

How is the homeless bloke treated?

Amazingly well. Strangers walking past often ask how he is, ask if he needs
anything and offer him breakfast/tea etc.

And if he is asleep then it is not uncommon to see people passing by just
leave food by his side.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 26 Jan 2014 12:50:26 +0000, ARW wrote:

I can watch the fish landing at Filey and Barnsley has it's own
brewery:-)

But the oldest brewery in Englad is just 10 miles up the road from here.
And they have at least one pub in London...Smithfield.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" wrote in message ...

"Mr Pounder" wrote in message

"ARW" wrote in message
"Mr Pounder" wrote in message

"ARW" wrote in message
"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
[...]

How does that compare to your more usual surroundings?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/01/2014 13:22, ARW wrote:
"Mr Pounder" wrote in message

"ARW" wrote in message
"Mr Pounder" wrote in message

"ARW" wrote in message
"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
[...]

You'll probably find that plot on Rightmove. Good location, a snip at
half a million.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Richard" wrote in message
"ARW" wrote in message ...

"Mr Pounder" wrote in message

"ARW" wrote in message
"Mr Pounder" wrote in message

"ARW" wrote in message
"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
[...]

In my usual surroundings there are fewer visible homeless people (there is
still the hidden homeless problem), less parking tickets, and there is still
a reasonable chance of getting someone to pull a pint of beer without
****ing it up.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/01/2014 13:03, Mr Pounder wrote:
"ARW" wrote in message
"Mr Pounder" wrote in message

"ARW" wrote in message
"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
[...]

With a freedom pass I can be there for nothing in 20 minutes, but I can
never find a reason to do so. I hate the bloody place
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" wrote in message
"Mr Pounder" wrote in message

"ARW" wrote in message
"Mr Pounder" wrote in message

"ARW" wrote in message
"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
That depends what use you make of them. For fish and chips they have
to be better than paid for ones.
Brian

Londoners cannot do two things.

1. Server proper fish and chips
2. Pull pint of beer.

3. Speak English correctly.
4. Offer directions.

But they are bloody good at handing out parking tickets. Yes I will
appeal against it.

The bit that surprises me is how some of them treat the homeless bloke
that is sleeping under our scaffolding.

You don't stand a chance.

********. I successully appealed against the last one and I will
successully appeal against this one.

Do you have a decent defense?

I once got nicked for driving through the Congestion Charge area without
paying. I honestly did not know what to do.
I appealed explaining my stupidity and that I had set satnav to avoid
"toll charges". Eventually I got a 3 page letter back from them telling
me to **** off.
I have always hated everything about London.

How is the homeless bloke treated?

Amazingly well. Strangers walking past often ask how he is, ask if he
needs anything and offer him breakfast/tea etc.

And if he is asleep then it is not uncommon to see people passing by just
leave food by his side.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Mr Pounder" wrote in message
You don't stand a chance.

********. I successully appealed against the last one and I will
successully appeal against this one.

Do you have a decent defense?

Yes.

I had paid for the parking online and I have the receipt/email showing that
I had paid before the ticket was issued.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
ARW wrote:
"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
That depends what use you make of them. For fish and chips they have
to be better than paid for ones. Brian

Londoners cannot do two things.

1. Server proper fish and chips

2. Pull pint of beer.

Have you tried a decent Fullers or Youngs pub?

--
*Of course I'm against sin; I'm against anything that I'm too old to enjoy.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" wrote in message ...

"Richard" wrote in message
"ARW" wrote in message ...

"Mr Pounder" wrote in message

"ARW" wrote in message
"Mr Pounder" wrote in message

"ARW" wrote in message
"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
[...]

Don't worry. The modern world will catch up with you eventually

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/01/2014 13:03, Mr Pounder wrote:
I once got nicked for driving through the Congestion Charge area without
paying. I honestly did not know what to do.

It is quite simple. You think 'Oh bugger I didn't mean to come this
way', then pay online later the same day.

I appealed explaining my stupidity and that I had set satnav to avoid "toll
charges". Eventually I got a 3 page letter back from them telling me to ****
off...

As you should expect. If that wasn't the standard reply, everybody would
be trying to weasel out of paying with hard luck claims of one sort or
another.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/01/2014 11:36, Mr Pounder wrote:
"ARW" wrote in message
"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
That depends what use you make of them. For fish and chips they have to
be better than paid for ones.
Brian

Londoners cannot do two things.

1. Server proper fish and chips
2. Pull pint of beer.

3. Speak English correctly.
4. Offer directions.

There is a good chance that anybody you ask for directions in central
London is a stranger there themselves.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 26 Jan 2014 11:24:28 +0000, charles wrote:

Londoners cannot do two things.

1. Server proper fish and chips 2. Pull pint of beer.

You need to come out to the country, such as Suffolk or Norfolk. Where
the fish is landed, and the beer is brewed.

beer is still brewed in Chiswick - which is part of London.

Fullers might be the only large brewery still in London, since Youngs
closed the Wandsworth site, but there's plenty of good small brewers, too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Nightjar" wrote in message
On 26/01/2014 13:03, Mr Pounder wrote:
I once got nicked for driving through the Congestion Charge area without
paying. I honestly did not know what to do.

It is quite simple. You think 'Oh bugger I didn't mean to come this way',
then pay online later the same day.

I did not know that you could do that.

****
off...

As you should expect. If that wasn't the standard reply, everybody would
be trying to weasel out of paying with hard luck claims of one sort or
another.

I did expect that, but there was no harm trying.
I live over 200 miles away from London, but that made no difference to them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Mr Pounder wrote:
I once got nicked for driving through the Congestion Charge area without
paying. I honestly did not know what to do.

Pay it like everyone else has to?

I appealed explaining my stupidity and that I had set satnav to avoid
"toll charges". Eventually I got a 3 page letter back from them telling
me to **** off.

Perhaps you'd have done better to look for the congestion charge signs
rather than relying on a sat nav. Do you drive through red lights too?

--
*If a turtle doesn't have a shell, is he homeless or naked?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

news
"ARW" wrote in message
"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
That depends what use you make of them. For fish and chips they have to
be better than paid for ones.
Brian

Londoners cannot do two things.

1. Server proper fish and chips
2. Pull pint of beer.

3. Speak English correctly.
4. Offer directions.

There is a good chance that anybody you ask for directions in central
London is a stranger there themselves.

I once called into a taxi office and asked the nice Asian man to point me in
the right direction for Hackney. He had absolutely no idea.
Turns out I was 4 miles away.
Pathetic.
I once pulled up at a bus stop to ask directions. Every single person turned
their back on me.
Lovely people.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mr Pounder" wrote in message ...

"Nightjar" wrote in message
[...]

It did make a difference. They profited.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

news
"ARW" wrote in message
"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
That depends what use you make of them. For fish and chips they have to
be better than paid for ones.
Brian

Londoners cannot do two things.

1. Server proper fish and chips
2. Pull pint of beer.

3. Speak English correctly.
4. Offer directions.

There is a good chance that anybody you ask for directions in central
London is a stranger there themselves.

I once called into a taxi office and asked the nice Asian man to point me in
the right direction for Hackney. He had absolutely no idea.
Turns out I was 4 miles away.
Pathetic.
I once pulled up at a bus stop to ask directions. Every single person turned
their back on me.

They probably couldn't understand your northern accent. Or speech
impediment as we call it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mr Pounder" wrote in message ...

news
"ARW" wrote in message
"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
That depends what use you make of them. For fish and chips they have
be better than paid for ones.
Brian

Londoners cannot do two things.

1. Server proper fish and chips
2. Pull pint of beer.

3. Speak English correctly.
4. Offer directions.

There is a good chance that anybody you ask for directions in central
London is a stranger there themselves.

I once called into a taxi office and asked the nice Asian man to point me
in the right direction for Hackney. He had absolutely no idea.
Turns out I was 4 miles away.
Pathetic.
I once pulled up at a bus stop to ask directions. Every single person
turned their back on me.
Lovely people.

****. You *really* are that widely known?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

1. Server proper fish and chips

It's bloody hard to find them fried in dripping in London. You could
try Fryer's Delight at 19 Theobald's Road, WC1X 8SL. Depending where
you are in Oxford Street it's a hop on the Central Line to Holborn or a
55 bus. A bit variable though in my experience.

And while I don't think they cook in dripping, there's Masters at 191
Waterloo Road which used to be easy to spot 'cos of the number of black
cabs parked up while the cabbies refueled. Does mean going sarf ov the
river tho

--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Robin" wrote in message
1. Server proper fish and chips

It's bloody hard to find them fried in dripping in London. You could try
Fryer's Delight at 19 Theobald's Road, WC1X 8SL. Depending where you are
in Oxford Street it's a hop on the Central Line to Holborn or a 55 bus. A
bit variable though in my experience.

And while I don't think they cook in dripping, there's Masters at 191
Waterloo Road which used to be easy to spot 'cos of the number of black
cabs parked up while the cabbies refueled. Does mean going sarf ov the
river tho

Bloody close to the hospital I shall be working at one day next week.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Mr Pounder wrote:
I once got nicked for driving through the Congestion Charge area without
paying. I honestly did not know what to do.

Pay it like everyone else has to?

I did not know how.

I appealed explaining my stupidity and that I had set satnav to avoid
"toll charges". Eventually I got a 3 page letter back from them telling
me to **** off.

Perhaps you'd have done better to look for the congestion charge signs
rather than relying on a sat nav. Do you drive through red lights too?

No, I do not drive through red lights.
Do you always ask stupid questions?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
On 26/01/2014 15:41, Mr Pounder wrote:
news
"ARW" wrote in message
"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
[...]

They were all black and turned away from me before I opened my mouth.
Did you know that the southern accent is known as the worst in the world?