Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT The best things in life are free

On 27/01/14 13:59, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Sun, 26 Jan 2014 10:10:45 +0000, ARW wrote:

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
That depends what use you make of them. For fish and chips they have to
be better than paid for ones.
Brian

Londoners cannot do two things.

1. Server proper fish and chips

Moving to the Midlands, I really miss rock salmon. No one's ever heard of
it

Ask for dogfish instead.

Certainly 'darn sarth' rock salmon has always been on the menu at least
till fairly recently.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
That depends what use you make of them. For fish and chips they have to
be better than paid for ones.
Brian

Londoners cannot do two things.

1. Server proper fish and chips

Moving to the Midlands, I really miss rock salmon. No one's ever heard of
it

Monkfish now I think

Nope. different again.

"Rock salmon, also called rock eel, flake, and huss, is a dish popular
in England.

The dish can be one of many species of small shark, including the spiny
dogfish (Squalus acanthias) or the bull huss (Scyliorhinus stellaris).

Rock salmon is consumed in many European countries. However, the spiny
dogfish is now an endangered species due to overfishing, and is classed
as Vulnerable on the IUCN Red List[1] and the North East Atlantic
population as Critically Endangered.[2]"

(wiki)

So probably it is simply not being fished any more.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jethro_uk wrote:
Moving to the Midlands, I really miss rock salmon. No one's ever heard of
it

Thought it was a generic term for any fish that wasn't wasn't cod. ;-)

Not where I've bought it. It's species of shark, with one cartilaginous
"bone", also known as Huss, Rock Cod or just plain Rock.

http://www.sharktrust.org/en/rock_salmon

It seems that it is now illegal to sell EU caught Rock Salmon, which
explains the shortage.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jethro_uk wrote:
Moving to the Midlands, I really miss rock salmon. No one's ever heard of
it

Thought it was a generic term for any fish that wasn't wasn't cod. ;-)

Nope, not that either. small sharks usually dogfish

Typical white fish of the common or garde variety are cod, hake, halibut
and haddock from memory.

Plus the flatfish family.

The rock salmon is the sharky stuff like dogfish.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
That depends what use you make of them. For fish and chips they have to
be better than paid for ones.
Brian

Londoners cannot do two things.

1. Server proper fish and chips

Moving to the Midlands, I really miss rock salmon. No one's ever heard of
it

Ask for dogfish instead.

Certainly 'darn sarth' rock salmon has always been on the menu at least
till fairly recently.

I'm not sure what you consider to be quite recently, but I recall having
to explain to my father that rock salmon was now called huss and he died
last century.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
That depends what use you make of them. For fish and chips they have
to be better than paid for ones.
Brian

Londoners cannot do two things.

1. Server proper fish and chips

Moving to the Midlands, I really miss rock salmon. No one's ever heard
of it

Ask for dogfish instead.

To a chorus of "You what ?"

Certainly 'darn sarth' rock salmon has always been on the menu at least
till fairly recently.

reading this thread, I can see.

One creeping tendency I've noticed, particularly in supermarket meals, is
"fish" being used as an ingredient, which is a sure-fire guarantee that
what you are getting is *not* cod.

It's taken nearly 15 years, but I have finally got SWMBO to try fish
other than cod. To her amazement (and regret) she realises she quite
likes them. So bass, bream, swordfish, trout, salmon, tilapia, lemon
sole, dover sole are all on the menu.

Those ere the best of the white fish.

Add turbot, hake haddock and halibut there as well. Hake IIRC is a bit
coarse but haddock is as creamy as cod is. Lovely fish.,

We do interesting* things with fresh sardines

*dont be rude.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2014-01-27, Jethro_uk wrote:

One creeping tendency I've noticed, particularly in supermarket meals, is
"fish" being used as an ingredient, which is a sure-fire guarantee that
what you are getting is *not* cod.

Never been in a chippie in Scotland? That's what they sell; "fish".

It's taken nearly 15 years, but I have finally got SWMBO to try fish
other than cod. To her amazement (and regret) she realises she quite
likes them. So bass, bream, swordfish, trout, salmon, tilapia,

Yuck. Why would you want to eat mud flavoured bones?

you wouldn't which is why those particular fish are worth eating

'Mud flavoured bones' can only be carp... along with andouillette* one
of the more disgusting things you can eat.

*tastes like arseholes from which the **** hasn't been removed which is
because that is what it mostly is..

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
That depends what use you make of them. For fish and chips they
have to
be better than paid for ones.
Brian

Londoners cannot do two things.

1. Server proper fish and chips

Moving to the Midlands, I really miss rock salmon. No one's ever
heard of
it

Ask for dogfish instead.

Certainly 'darn sarth' rock salmon has always been on the menu at least
till fairly recently.

I'm not sure what you consider to be quite recently, but I recall having
to explain to my father that rock salmon was now called huss and he died
last century.

certainly saw it on the menu in the 90's

I cant recall having seen it since.

Colin Bignell

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , John Williamson
writes
On 27/01/2014 14:01, Jethro_uk wrote:
Sure you're not confusing them with yam yams ?

*I'm* not, but others do. I also wonder how many on here know who "yam
yams" are without looking it up?

Me for 1.

I also confess to feeling insulted at being called a cockney by some
Liverpudlian electricians. I was born and brought up more than 25 miles
from Bow bells but we did have a lot of East Enders move here in a
*London overspill* housing scheme.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 27 Jan 2014 17:41:36 +0000, Jethro_uk wrote:

Moving to the Midlands, I really miss rock salmon. No one's ever
heard of it

Ask for dogfish instead.

Certainly 'darn sarth' rock salmon has always been on the menu at
least till fairly recently.

I'm not sure what you consider to be quite recently, but I recall
having to explain to my father that rock salmon was now called huss and
he died last century.

When I lived in London, some chippies had it as "Huss" others as "Rock
Salmon."

Huss was on the fish stall in our local market (Welsh borders) a couple
of weeks ago.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 27 Jan 2014 17:39:38 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

'Mud flavoured bones' can only be carp... along with andouillette* one
of the more disgusting things you can eat.

*tastes like arseholes from which the **** hasn't been removed which is
because that is what it mostly is..

The French apparently have a saying that politics is like andouillette.
They're both at their best when they have a strong smell of ****.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2014-01-27, Jethro_uk wrote:

One creeping tendency I've noticed, particularly in supermarket meals,
is
"fish" being used as an ingredient, which is a sure-fire guarantee that
what you are getting is *not* cod.

Never been in a chippie in Scotland? That's what they sell; "fish".

It's taken nearly 15 years, but I have finally got SWMBO to try fish
other than cod. To her amazement (and regret) she realises she quite
likes them. So bass, bream, swordfish, trout, salmon, tilapia,

Yuck. Why would you want to eat mud flavoured bones?

you wouldn't which is why those particular fish are worth eating

'Mud flavoured bones' can only be carp... along with andouillette* one of
the more disgusting things you can eat.

*tastes like arseholes from which the **** hasn't been removed which is
because that is what it mostly is..

Having tasted neither, I will take your word for that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
That depends what use you make of them. For fish and chips they have
to be better than paid for ones.
Brian

Londoners cannot do two things.

1. Server proper fish and chips

Moving to the Midlands, I really miss rock salmon. No one's ever heard
of it

Ask for dogfish instead.

Certainly 'darn sarth' rock salmon has always been on the menu at least
till fairly recently.

I'm not sure what you consider to be quite recently, but I recall having
to explain to my father that rock salmon was now called huss and he died
last century.

Colin Bignell

When I lived in London, some chippies had it as "Huss" others as "Rock
Salmon."

ISTR that, as it is not salmon, it became an offence to describe it as
such. I suspect, from my recollection of having to explain this to my
father, it was probably The Food Labelling Regulations 1996 that were
responsible.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Davey
scribeth thus
On Sun, 26 Jan 2014 20:25:19 +0000
tony sayer wrote:

In article , Davey
scribeth thus
"ARW" wrote:

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
That depends what use you make of them. For fish and chips they
have to be better than paid for ones.
Brian

Londoners cannot do two things.

1. Server proper fish and chips
2. Pull pint of beer.

You need to come out to the country, such as Suffolk or Norfolk.
Where the fish is landed, and the beer is brewed.

Could tell you a tale of some ale consumed right across the road from
the Adnams Southwold brewery and the prat consuming was daft enough to
go swimming afterwards;!..

Mind you some of us were listening to the trains with an ear to the
rails for a silly bet after some pints of Theakstons old Peculier but
this was many many years ago now;!..

Quite likely! I happen to be a shareholder in Adnams, so I know the
place (Hic). The Lord Nelson is the place to go, just down the road,
and there is a wonderful Museum in the Seamans' Mission next door. The
Harbour Inn out at the harbour (!) can be ok for food, but to me,
thinks too much of itself.

Haven't been there for years now but must 'ere long..

If you find rails to listen to in Southwold, then you need to join the
SR Trust:
http://www.southwoldrailway.co.uk/

Sweet;!, hope they get planning permission for their building bloody
councils..

Once upon a time, one of the Hotels behind Adnams (The Swan?) had
beer that came right through the wall direct from the Brewery.

Yes I did wonder if that was true .. or not;!..

Lovely little town like Wells in Norfolk.. who needs to go further
afield:?..
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 27 Jan 2014 19:19:46 +0000, Richard wrote:

'Mud flavoured bones' can only be carp... along with andouillette* one
of the more disgusting things you can eat.

*tastes like arseholes from which the **** hasn't been removed which is
because that is what it mostly is..

Having tasted neither, I will take your word for that.

Everybody should taste andouillette once in their life.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Adrian" wrote in message ...

On Mon, 27 Jan 2014 19:19:46 +0000, Richard wrote:

'Mud flavoured bones' can only be carp... along with andouillette* one
of the more disgusting things you can eat.

*tastes like arseholes from which the **** hasn't been removed which is
because that is what it mostly is..

Having tasted neither, I will take your word for that.

Everybody should taste andouillette once in their life.

OK. Send as much as they can consume to all the starving people first.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2014-01-27, Jethro_uk wrote:

One creeping tendency I've noticed, particularly in supermarket
meals, is
"fish" being used as an ingredient, which is a sure-fire guarantee that
what you are getting is *not* cod.

Never been in a chippie in Scotland? That's what they sell; "fish".

It's taken nearly 15 years, but I have finally got SWMBO to try fish
other than cod. To her amazement (and regret) she realises she quite
likes them. So bass, bream, swordfish, trout, salmon, tilapia,

Yuck. Why would you want to eat mud flavoured bones?

you wouldn't which is why those particular fish are worth eating

'Mud flavoured bones' can only be carp... along with andouillette* one
of the more disgusting things you can eat.

*tastes like arseholes from which the **** hasn't been removed which is
because that is what it mostly is..

Pike has to be the muddiest tasting fish ever.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ISTR that, as it is not salmon, it became an offence to describe it as
such. I suspect, from my recollection of having to explain this to my
father, it was probably The Food Labelling Regulations 1996 that were
responsible.

If so I'm glad to say there seems not to be much enforcement of that in
London. Chippies round here ain't online but posher places even have it
on menus online eg
http://www.seashellrestaurant.co.uk/mains
http://www.menuspring.com/restaurant...-london-uk-880
http://www.seafresh-dining.com/menu.html

--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Is Starbucks any different from the thousands of other coffee shops?

Yes - their coffee is not very nice at all. IMHO. Might be better with
milk of some sort but I always drink black coffee these days.

Does that set them apart from the others? Well I hate the crockery but
at a services I'd rather have a Costa - always seems to be a high
caffeine brew (which is good). Elsewhere I'd rather have a cup from
Caffθ Nero.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

'Mud flavoured bones' can only be carp... along with andouillette* one
of the more disgusting things you can eat.

*tastes like arseholes from which the **** hasn't been removed which is
because that is what it mostly is..

Absolutely 100% agreed - they are one of the few things that I really,
really tried to eat for the sake of someone else. Succeeded and then
wished I hadn't. That taste plagued me in the same sort of way as an
ear-worm does in the world of audio. And you have damned well just
brought it back.

--
Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

On 27/01/14 09:32, Robin wrote:
I was meaning the chippie south of the river.

Sorry, my mistake.

And what is wrong with south of the river. I loved East Dulwich

Nothing at all. I've lived both sides. But there are differences, and
lots of foreigners hate going South as there are so few underground
lines - and so few Starbucks

My mother always said 'If you are from North of the River you can never
be happy south of it. It's true, I get lost south of the river. I once
drove from Greenwich intenting to go over London Bridge, I ended up in
Wandsworth and finally reached civilised parts via Putney bridge.

--
djc
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
djc wrote:
My mother always said 'If you are from North of the River you can never
be happy south of it. It's true, I get lost south of the river. I once
drove from Greenwich intenting to go over London Bridge, I ended up in
Wandsworth and finally reached civilised parts via Putney bridge.

Sounds like you were following the South Circular - never a good idea. ;-)

--
*Support bacteria - they're the only culture some people have *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/01/2014 23:22, ARW wrote:
Robin wrote:
Bloody close to the hospital I shall be working at one day next week.

The National in Queen Square? If so please treat them extra well:
they're the only one of 4 London hospitals I've dealt with in the past
year which hasn't cocked up in one way or another.

Or the RLH for Integrated Medicine? If so bear in mind it used to be
called the Royal London Homeopathic Hospital, so their canteen's idea
of fish and chips might be a plate which had fish and chips on it
before it was put through the dishwasher 3 times

I was meaning the chippie south of the river. And what is wrong with south
of the river. ...

London was built north of the river. In the mental map of anybody born
in North London, north of Watford and south of the river are marked
'here be dragons'.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/01/14 09:30, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Nightjar
wrote:

On 26/01/2014 23:22, ARW wrote:
Robin wrote:
Bloody close to the hospital I shall be working at one day next week.

The National in Queen Square? If so please treat them extra well:
they're the only one of 4 London hospitals I've dealt with in the past
year which hasn't cocked up in one way or another.

Or the RLH for Integrated Medicine? If so bear in mind it used to be
called the Royal London Homeopathic Hospital, so their canteen's idea
of fish and chips might be a plate which had fish and chips on it
before it was put through the dishwasher 3 times

I was meaning the chippie south of the river. And what is wrong with

south
of the river. ...

London was built north of the river. In the mental map of anybody born
in North London, north of Watford and south of the river are marked
'here be dragons'.

Are Highgate and Islington (and other areas full of socialists) north
of the river? That might explain a lot.

Yes.

Places you may have hear d of south of the driver would be
Peckham..Battersea..Dulwich..kent..;-)

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/01/2014 09:30, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Nightjar
wrote:

On 26/01/2014 23:22, ARW wrote:
Robin wrote:
[...]

I doubt you will find many socialists as members of the Highgate Golf
Club. Mind you, I see that Highgate School has stopped taking boarders.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 26/01/2014 23:22, ARW wrote:
Robin wrote:
[...]

There is, of course, this Old Boy:

http://golondon.about.com/od/londonp.../Karl-Marx.htm

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

In article ,
djc wrote:
My mother always said 'If you are from North of the River you can never
be happy south of it. It's true, I get lost south of the river. I once
drove from Greenwich intenting to go over London Bridge, I ended up in
Wandsworth and finally reached civilised parts via Putney bridge.

Sounds like you were following the South Circular - never a good idea. ;-)

Don't think so, but then how would I know! I think the trouble is
somewhere on the approach to the bridges there are signs to various
northerly destinations and I follow whichever one seems to offer the
most direct route back to safe ground; which seems to result in
following a daisy chain of bridge approaches.
I have similar problems whenever I drive back from Dover, outgoing I get
to the Blackwall Tunnel and follow the signs to Dover, returning I get
to the M25 and thereafter it's rather random whether end up crossing
anywhere between there and Waterloo bridge

--
djc
Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

On 28/01/14 09:25, Nightjar wrote:
On 26/01/2014 23:22, ARW wrote:

I was meaning the chippie south of the river. And what is wrong with
south
of the river. ...

London was built north of the river. In the mental map of anybody born
in North London, north of Watford and south of the river are marked
'here be dragons'.

how very true.

In my case I think anywhere N. of Euston Road is foreign territory.

--
djc
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
djc wrote:
Sounds like you were following the South Circular - never a good idea. ;-)

Don't think so, but then how would I know! I think the trouble is
somewhere on the approach to the bridges there are signs to various
northerly destinations and I follow whichever one seems to offer the
most direct route back to safe ground; which seems to result in
following a daisy chain of bridge approaches.
I have similar problems whenever I drive back from Dover, outgoing I get
to the Blackwall Tunnel and follow the signs to Dover, returning I get
to the M25 and thereafter it's rather random whether end up crossing
anywhere between there and Waterloo bridge

Be great in this computer age if someone invented a small device that
would fit in a car and navigate for you. ;-)

--
*If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 28 Jan 2014 23:41:07 +0000 (GMT)
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

In article ,
djc wrote:
Sounds like you were following the South Circular - never a good
idea. ;-)

Don't think so, but then how would I know! I think the trouble is
somewhere on the approach to the bridges there are signs to various
northerly destinations and I follow whichever one seems to offer
the most direct route back to safe ground; which seems to result in
following a daisy chain of bridge approaches.
I have similar problems whenever I drive back from Dover, outgoing
I get to the Blackwall Tunnel and follow the signs to Dover,
returning I get to the M25 and thereafter it's rather random
whether end up crossing anywhere between there and Waterloo bridge

Be great in this computer age if someone invented a small device that
would fit in a car and navigate for you. ;-)

"Nothing good will ever come of such a thing". Besides, it would
bankrupt map-makers.

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/01/2014 00:13, Davey wrote:
On Tue, 28 Jan 2014 23:41:07 +0000 (GMT)
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

In article ,
djc wrote:
[...]

"Take 4th exit" means nothing on some of those Kent roundabouts. Often
you can't see anything at all apart from the trucks on either side
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
stuart noble wrote:
Be great in this computer age if someone invented a small device that
would fit in a car and navigate for you. ;-)

"Nothing good will ever come of such a thing". Besides, it would
bankrupt map-makers.

"Take 4th exit" means nothing on some of those Kent roundabouts. Often
you can't see anything at all apart from the trucks on either side

So how do you know which exit to take if you can't see it - even without a
satnav? ;-)

--
*Why is the word abbreviation so long?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
stuart noble wrote:
Be great in this computer age if someone invented a small device that
would fit in a car and navigate for you. ;-)

"Nothing good will ever come of such a thing". Besides, it would
bankrupt map-makers.

"Take 4th exit" means nothing on some of those Kent roundabouts. Often
you can't see anything at all apart from the trucks on either side

So how do you know which exit to take if you can't see it - even without a
satnav? ;-)

Russian roulette. Trouble is, you could end up in Sheppey
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 29 Jan 2014 14:00:54 +0000
stuart noble wrote:

In article ,
stuart noble wrote:
Be great in this computer age if someone invented a small device
that would fit in a car and navigate for you. ;-)

"Nothing good will ever come of such a thing". Besides, it would
bankrupt map-makers.

"Take 4th exit" means nothing on some of those Kent roundabouts.
Often you can't see anything at all apart from the trucks on
either side

So how do you know which exit to take if you can't see it - even
without a satnav? ;-)

Russian roulette. Trouble is, you could end up in Sheppey

The bullet might be better....

--
Davey.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote:

I was meaning the chippie south of the river. And what is wrong with south
of the river. I loved East Dulwich

Whilst you are in the Smoke, I would recommend buying a ticket for
Jeeves and Wooster(farce, bit like UKdiy!) at the Duke of York theatre.
We went today and thought that performances from all the actors was
better than anything we've seen for a great many years. Laughed for 2 hours!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/01/2014 13:59, Jethro_uk wrote:
Moving to the Midlands, I really miss rock salmon. No one's ever heard of
it

Once in France I had a dish described as "Saumonette" (~= little salmon).

I didn't like it much.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

In article ,
djc wrote:
Sounds like you were following the South Circular - never a good idea. ;-)

Don't think so, but then how would I know! I think the trouble is
somewhere on the approach to the bridges there are signs to various
northerly destinations and I follow whichever one seems to offer the
most direct route back to safe ground; which seems to result in
following a daisy chain of bridge approaches.
I have similar problems whenever I drive back from Dover, outgoing I get
to the Blackwall Tunnel and follow the signs to Dover, returning I get
to the M25 and thereafter it's rather random whether end up crossing
anywhere between there and Waterloo bridge

Be great in this computer age if someone invented a small device that
would fit in a car and navigate for you. ;-)

I have what appears to be the worlds worst GPS, it has sent me across
fields and along river beds. I have worked with computers for over 40
years, I hate the things.

--
djc
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/01/2014 22:47, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 27/01/2014 13:59, Jethro_uk wrote:
Moving to the Midlands, I really miss rock salmon. No one's ever heard of
it

Once in France I had a dish described as "Saumonette" (~= little salmon).

I didn't like it much.

Andy

Had to look that up!

Saumonette

Common name or
Vernacular name ambiguous
The term "dogfish" applies in French several taxa distinct.

Dogfish Scyliorhinus canicula small
Small dogfish
Scyliorhinus canicula
Taxa

Several species of super-order of Euselachii

Scyliorhinus canicula
Squalus acanthias
Several species of the genus Mustelus

The term dogfish is a trade name used in French for several species of
small sharks , the little foxes , the dogfish and Γ©missolles . These
sharks take this name once headed, gutted and skinned. They are among
the most consumed shark France with taupe shark .

This term refers to salmon , noble fish. The term "shark" was considered
somewhat seller, this fish has a reputation as a man-eater. It is the
same for the term " sea level "for porbeagle.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Jethro_uk wrote:
On Mon, 27 Jan 2014 15:49:47 +0000, John Williamson wrote:

On 27/01/2014 14:01, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Sun, 26 Jan 2014 18:12:50 +0000, John Williamson wrote:

On 26/01/2014 16:44, Mr Pounder wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote in
message ...
They probably couldn't understand your northern accent. Or
speech impediment as we call it.

They were all black and turned away from me before I opened my
mouth. Did you know that the southern accent is known as the
worst in the world?

*Which* Southern accent? There are many of them.

I've also heard the Brummie accent called the worst in the world,
with about as much justification, and with the same generality.

Sure you're not confusing them with yam yams ?

*I'm* not, but others do. I also wonder how many on here know who
"yam yams" are without looking it up?

To be fair, before moving to Brum, I was none the wiser. Which really
seemed to upset a former colleague who got very upset when I said
anyone from London would consider him a Brummie (he actually came
from Studley). He went on a rant about how could we possibly confuse
his dulcet tones with a Brummies.

But it's true. Londoners can probably pick out Brummie, Scouse,
Geordie, Manchester, Yorkshire, and West Country.

But of course they all have different local accents - I can tell the
difference between people from Barnsley, Sheffield or Leeds - to non
Yorkshire people it's just a Yorkshire accent.

--

Adam

---