Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT The best things in life are free

Bloody close to the hospital I shall be working at one day next week.

The National in Queen Square? If so please treat them extra well:
they're the only one of 4 London hospitals I've dealt with in the past
year which hasn't cocked up in one way or another.

Or the RLH for Integrated Medicine? If so bear in mind it used to be
called the Royal London Homeopathic Hospital, so their canteen's idea of
fish and chips might be a plate which had fish and chips on it before it
was put through the dishwasher 3 times
--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Richard" wrote in message
"Mr Pounder" wrote in message ...

"Nightjar" wrote in message
news
On 26/01/2014 11:36, Mr Pounder wrote:
"ARW" wrote in message
"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
That depends what use you make of them. For fish and chips they have
be better than paid for ones.
Brian

Londoners cannot do two things.

1. Server proper fish and chips
2. Pull pint of beer.

3. Speak English correctly.
4. Offer directions.

There is a good chance that anybody you ask for directions in central
London is a stranger there themselves.

I once called into a taxi office and asked the nice Asian man to point me
in the right direction for Hackney. He had absolutely no idea.
Turns out I was 4 miles away.
Pathetic.
I once pulled up at a bus stop to ask directions. Every single person
turned their back on me.
Lovely people.

****. You *really* are that widely known?

I am legend.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/01/2014 15:35, Mr Pounder wrote:
"Nightjar" wrote in message
On 26/01/2014 13:03, Mr Pounder wrote:
I once got nicked for driving through the Congestion Charge area without
paying. I honestly did not know what to do.

It is quite simple. You think 'Oh bugger I didn't mean to come this way',
then pay online later the same day.

I did not know that you could do that...

I only found out after I had driven through the zone by mistake.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 26 Jan 2014 17:11:06 +0000, Nightjar wrote:

I once got nicked for driving through the Congestion Charge area
without paying. I honestly did not know what to do.

I only found out after I had driven through the zone by mistake.

Of the many things you could say about CC zone signage, "subtle" and
"hidden" is not high on the list.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Streater" wrote in message
.. .
In article , Mr Pounder
wrote:

"Richard" wrote in message

"ARW" wrote in message
"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
That depends what use you make of them. For fish and chips they
have to
be better than paid for ones.
Brian

Londoners cannot do two things.

1. Server proper fish and chips
2. Pull pint of beer.

3. Speak English correctly.
4. Offer directions.

There is a good chance that anybody you ask for directions in central
London is a stranger there themselves.

I once called into a taxi office and asked the nice Asian man to point
me in the right direction for Hackney. He had absolutely no idea.
Turns out I was 4 miles away.
Pathetic.
I once pulled up at a bus stop to ask directions. Every single person
turned their back on me.
Lovely people.

****. You *really* are that widely known?

I am legend.

You mean you don't exist?

I'm in my fourth reincarnation.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/01/2014 11:24, charles wrote:
In article ,
Davey wrote:
On Sun, 26 Jan 2014 10:10:45 -0000
"ARW" wrote:

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
That depends what use you make of them. For fish and chips they
have to be better than paid for ones.
Brian

Londoners cannot do two things.

1. Server proper fish and chips
2. Pull pint of beer.

It depends where you go, I've had good fish and chips here, as well as
good pints. I've also had truly awful fish suppers and beer, just as bad
as some of the worst in Yorkshire and Lancashire.

You need to come out to the country, such as Suffolk or Norfolk. Where
the fish is landed, and the beer is brewed.

beer is still brewed in Chiswick - which is part of London.

And on the borders of Clapham:-

http://www.sambrooksbrewery.co.uk/

Sadly, Young's are no longer in Wandsworth.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/01/2014 16:44, Mr Pounder wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
They probably couldn't understand your northern accent. Or speech
impediment as we call it.

They were all black and turned away from me before I opened my mouth.
Did you know that the southern accent is known as the worst in the world?

*Which* Southern accent? There are many of them.

I've also heard the Brummie accent called the worst in the world, with
about as much justification, and with the same generality.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/01/2014 17:22, Adrian wrote:
On Sun, 26 Jan 2014 17:11:06 +0000, Nightjar wrote:

I once got nicked for driving through the Congestion Charge area
without paying. I honestly did not know what to do.

I only found out after I had driven through the zone by mistake.

Of the many things you could say about CC zone signage, "subtle" and
"hidden" is not high on the list.

The zone hadn't existed the previous time I had driven that route
through London. By the time I remembered it, it was too late to find an
alternative and still get where I was going on time.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Mr Pounder wrote:

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article , Mr Pounder
wrote:
I once got nicked for driving through the Congestion Charge area
without paying. I honestly did not know what to do.

Pay it like everyone else has to?

I did not know how.

I'd love to say I don't know how to pay my income tax - and get away
without paying.

I appealed explaining my stupidity and that I had set satnav to avoid
"toll charges". Eventually I got a 3 page letter back from them
telling me to **** off.

Perhaps you'd have done better to look for the congestion charge signs
rather than relying on a sat nav. Do you drive through red lights too?

No, I do not drive through red lights.

But you managed to miss the congestion charge signs?

Do you always ask stupid questions?

Only in reply to stupid posts.

--
*Rehab is for quitters

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Richard" wrote in message

"ARW" wrote in message
"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
[...]

When are you coming back as a sophisticated southerner?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/01/2014 18:59, Nightjar wrote:
On 26/01/2014 17:22, Adrian wrote:
On Sun, 26 Jan 2014 17:11:06 +0000, Nightjar wrote:

I once got nicked for driving through the Congestion Charge area
without paying. I honestly did not know what to do.

I only found out after I had driven through the zone by mistake.

Of the many things you could say about CC zone signage, "subtle" and
"hidden" is not high on the list.

The zone hadn't existed the previous time I had driven that route
through London. By the time I remembered it, it was too late to find an
alternative and still get where I was going on time.

Colin Bignell

So if you drive through it then you need to phone up and pay.
If you pay they don't issue a ticket.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , ARW
o.uk scribeth thus
"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
That depends what use you make of them. For fish and chips they have to be
better than paid for ones.
Brian

Londoners cannot do two things.

1. Server proper fish and chips

2. Pull pint of beer.

There was a pub down in Fulham I used to go to years ago, the barman
there was amazing you could give him an order to around 15 drinks he'd
remember the lot and could tell you the price the moment you'd finished
giving him the order no one caught him out;!...

And the beer was superb, Fullers London pride ..

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Davey
scribeth thus
"ARW" wrote:

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
That depends what use you make of them. For fish and chips they
have to be better than paid for ones.
Brian

Londoners cannot do two things.

1. Server proper fish and chips
2. Pull pint of beer.

You need to come out to the country, such as Suffolk or Norfolk. Where
the fish is landed, and the beer is brewed.

Could tell you a tale of some ale consumed right across the road from
the Adnams Southwold brewery and the prat consuming was daft enough to
go swimming afterwards;!..

Mind you some of us were listening to the trains with an ear to the
rails for a silly bet after some pints of Theakstons old Peculier but
this was many many years ago now;!..

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Dave Plowman (News)
scribeth thus
In article ,
Mr Pounder wrote:
I once got nicked for driving through the Congestion Charge area without
paying. I honestly did not know what to do.

Pay it like everyone else has to?

I appealed explaining my stupidity and that I had set satnav to avoid
"toll charges". Eventually I got a 3 page letter back from them telling
me to **** off.

Perhaps you'd have done better to look for the congestion charge signs
rather than relying on a sat nav. Do you drive through red lights too?

I missed one out near Willesden some while ago, just needed to turn
around so swung of into this side road, drove to the next possible place
to turn around so in and out of the CZ within less than 30 seconds
didn't even see the sign, bloody great Van in the way .. appealed but no
joy;(...

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , John Williamson
scribeth thus
On 26/01/2014 16:44, Mr Pounder wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
They probably couldn't understand your northern accent. Or speech
impediment as we call it.

They were all black and turned away from me before I opened my mouth.
Did you know that the southern accent is known as the worst in the world?

*Which* Southern accent? There are many of them.

I've also heard the Brummie accent called the worst in the world, with
about as much justification, and with the same generality.

Awww .. it's neat!, hope theres another series of Peaky Blinders before
long, liked that characters in that...

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

And the beer was superb, Fullers London pride ..

Tried the the tour of the Fuller's brewery in Chiswick? The brewery is
nothing special but the tastings at the end can be very good value (so
long as you are not driving of course).

--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/01/2014 20:03, dennis@home wrote:
On 26/01/2014 18:59, Nightjar wrote:
On 26/01/2014 17:22, Adrian wrote:
On Sun, 26 Jan 2014 17:11:06 +0000, Nightjar wrote:

I once got nicked for driving through the Congestion Charge area
without paying. I honestly did not know what to do.

I only found out after I had driven through the zone by mistake.

Of the many things you could say about CC zone signage, "subtle" and
"hidden" is not high on the list.

The zone hadn't existed the previous time I had driven that route
through London. By the time I remembered it, it was too late to find an
alternative and still get where I was going on time.

Colin Bignell

So if you drive through it then you need to phone up and pay.
If you pay they don't issue a ticket.

I paid online.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Robin
scribeth thus
And the beer was superb, Fullers London pride ..

Tried the the tour of the Fuller's brewery in Chiswick? The brewery is
nothing special but the tastings at the end can be very good value (so
long as you are not driving of course).

Noted .. on the liste;!...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/01/14 21:13, Nightjar wrote:
On 26/01/2014 20:03, dennis@home wrote:
On 26/01/2014 18:59, Nightjar wrote:
On 26/01/2014 17:22, Adrian wrote:
On Sun, 26 Jan 2014 17:11:06 +0000, Nightjar wrote:

I once got nicked for driving through the Congestion Charge area
without paying. I honestly did not know what to do.

I only found out after I had driven through the zone by mistake.

Of the many things you could say about CC zone signage, "subtle" and
"hidden" is not high on the list.

The zone hadn't existed the previous time I had driven that route
through London. By the time I remembered it, it was too late to find an
alternative and still get where I was going on time.

Colin Bignell

So if you drive through it then you need to phone up and pay.
If you pay they don't issue a ticket.

I paid online.

Colin Bignell

I drove through it and nothing happened....

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
I once got nicked for driving through the Congestion Charge area
without paying. I honestly did not know what to do.

Pay it like everyone else has to?

I did not know how.

I'd love to say I don't know how to pay my income tax - and get away
without paying.

Don't be silly.

I appealed explaining my stupidity and that I had set satnav to avoid
"toll charges". Eventually I got a 3 page letter back from them
telling me to **** off.

Perhaps you'd have done better to look for the congestion charge signs
rather than relying on a sat nav. Do you drive through red lights too?

No, I do not drive through red lights.

But you managed to miss the congestion charge signs?

Do you always ask stupid questions?

Only in reply to stupid posts.

Thus you admit to replying to what you consider to be stupid people.
Why do you do this stupid thing?

--
*Rehab is for quitters

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Richard" wrote in message

"ARW" wrote in message
"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
[...]

I have control over my reincarnations.
The words "sophisticated" and "southerner" do not compute.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message news
On 26/01/2014 17:49, Mr Pounder wrote:

When are you coming back as a sophisticated southerner?

like wot you are fatso

still at least pounder can get on a bike

he didnt marry one

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Robin wrote:
Bloody close to the hospital I shall be working at one day next week.

The National in Queen Square? If so please treat them extra well:
they're the only one of 4 London hospitals I've dealt with in the past
year which hasn't cocked up in one way or another.

Or the RLH for Integrated Medicine? If so bear in mind it used to be
called the Royal London Homeopathic Hospital, so their canteen's idea
of fish and chips might be a plate which had fish and chips on it
before it was put through the dishwasher 3 times

I was meaning the chippie south of the river. And what is wrong with south
of the river. I loved East Dulwich

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Mr Pounder wrote:
"ARW" wrote in message
"Mr Pounder" wrote in message
You don't stand a chance.

********. I successully appealed against the last one and I will
successully appeal against this one.

Do you have a decent defense?

Yes.

I had paid for the parking online and I have the receipt/email
showing that I had paid before the ticket was issued.

Good luck.

I would not bother to pay it even if they rejected my appeal.

--

Adam

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/01/2014 15:41, Mr Pounder wrote:
I once called into a taxi office and asked the nice Asian man to point me in
the right direction for Hackney. He had absolutely no idea.
Turns out I was 4 miles away.
Pathetic....

I lived about that far from Hackney when I lived in London, but I
couldn't have told you even the vaguely right direction to head. To me,
London was a collection of small areas I knew quite well on foot,
connected by the Underground or, if they were really close, by bus. The
relationship of one area to another was irrelevant.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 26 Jan 2014 20:25:19 +0000
tony sayer wrote:

In article , Davey
scribeth thus
"ARW" wrote:

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
That depends what use you make of them. For fish and chips they
have to be better than paid for ones.
Brian

Londoners cannot do two things.

1. Server proper fish and chips
2. Pull pint of beer.

You need to come out to the country, such as Suffolk or Norfolk.
Where the fish is landed, and the beer is brewed.

Could tell you a tale of some ale consumed right across the road from
the Adnams Southwold brewery and the prat consuming was daft enough to
go swimming afterwards;!..

Mind you some of us were listening to the trains with an ear to the
rails for a silly bet after some pints of Theakstons old Peculier but
this was many many years ago now;!..

Quite likely! I happen to be a shareholder in Adnams, so I know the
place (Hic). The Lord Nelson is the place to go, just down the road,
and there is a wonderful Museum in the Seamans' Mission next door. The
Harbour Inn out at the harbour (!) can be ok for food, but to me,
thinks too much of itself.
If you find rails to listen to in Southwold, then you need to join the
SR Trust:
http://www.southwoldrailway.co.uk/

Once upon a time, one of the Hotels behind Adnams (The Swan?) had
beer that came right through the wall direct from the Brewery.

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I was meaning the chippie south of the river.

Sorry, my mistake.

And what is wrong with south of the river. I loved East Dulwich

Nothing at all. I've lived both sides. But there are differences, and
lots of foreigners hate going South as there are so few underground
lines - and so few Starbucks

--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 27 Jan 2014 09:32:14 -0000
"Robin" wrote:

- and so few Starbucks

A good reason to go and visit, then.

--
Davey.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Robin wrote:
I was meaning the chippie south of the river.

Sorry, my mistake.

And what is wrong with south of the river. I loved East Dulwich

Nothing at all. I've lived both sides. But there are differences, and
lots of foreigners hate going South as there are so few underground
lines - and so few Starbucks

South has an extensive overground network - a far more pleasant way of
travelling than underground.

Is Starbucks any different from the thousands of other coffee shops?

--
*I went to school to become a wit, only got halfway through.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Robin wrote:
I was meaning the chippie south of the river.

Sorry, my mistake.

And what is wrong with south of the river. I loved East Dulwich

Nothing at all. I've lived both sides. But there are differences, and
lots of foreigners hate going South as there are so few underground
lines - and so few Starbucks

South has an extensive overground network - a far more pleasant way of
travelling than underground.

Not quite so pleasant late at night though

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
That depends what use you make of them. For fish and chips they have to
be better than paid for ones.
Brian

Londoners cannot do two things.

1. Server proper fish and chips

Moving to the Midlands, I really miss rock salmon. No one's ever heard of
it

Monkfish now I think
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
stuart noble wrote:
South has an extensive overground network - a far more pleasant way of
travelling than underground.

Not quite so pleasant late at night though

Can't say I've noticed a difference. Not that I often use PT late at night
these days.

--
*Red meat is not bad for you. Fuzzy green meat is bad for you.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jethro_uk wrote:
Moving to the Midlands, I really miss rock salmon. No one's ever heard of
it

Thought it was a generic term for any fish that wasn't wasn't cod. ;-)

--
*When the going gets tough, the tough take a coffee break *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Moving to the Midlands, I really miss rock salmon. No one's ever
heard of it

Shssssssshhhhh! Please don't tell everyone. I've always worked on the
basis the price'll be lower so long as they don't know about it North of
Watford

--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Monkfish now I think

Or Monkfish tails in place of scampi?
--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
That depends what use you make of them. For fish and chips they have to
be better than paid for ones.
Brian

Londoners cannot do two things.

1. Server proper fish and chips

Moving to the Midlands, I really miss rock salmon. No one's ever heard of
it

I concur with that entirely. Been here so long I had almost forgotten
it existed. On the other hand, there's a huge difference in the size of
a portion of chips.....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/01/2014 14:01, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Sun, 26 Jan 2014 18:12:50 +0000, John Williamson wrote:

On 26/01/2014 16:44, Mr Pounder wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
They probably couldn't understand your northern accent. Or speech
impediment as we call it.

They were all black and turned away from me before I opened my mouth.
Did you know that the southern accent is known as the worst in the
world?

*Which* Southern accent? There are many of them.

I've also heard the Brummie accent called the worst in the world, with
about as much justification, and with the same generality.

Sure you're not confusing them with yam yams ?

*I'm* not, but others do. I also wonder how many on here know who "yam
yams" are without looking it up?

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
That depends what use you make of them. For fish and chips they have to
be better than paid for ones.
Brian

Londoners cannot do two things.

1. Server proper fish and chips

Moving to the Midlands, I really miss rock salmon. No one's ever heard of
it

It's getting to be as common as hens' teeth down here, too. The only
place I've seen it for sale lately is a rather nice chippy in Beaconsfield.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.