Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Goodmans Module 80 - SOLVED !!!!

On Thu, 6 Feb 2014 18:12:58 +0000
tony sayer wrote:

but last week we were changed a "handling fee" for stuff that was
ordered up on the web which was a nuisance more then much else, we
just added it to our customers bill

You too! But you could pass the cost on, I couldn't. See what I mean
about "how many others have been caught out by this"?

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Davey
scribeth thus
On Thu, 6 Feb 2014 18:12:58 +0000
tony sayer wrote:

but last week we were changed a "handling fee" for stuff that was
ordered up on the web which was a nuisance more then much else, we
just added it to our customers bill

You too! But you could pass the cost on, I couldn't. See what I mean
about "how many others have been caught out by this"?

Well this was an order below 20 quid so that rarely happens...

They ought perhaps make it a bit clearer..

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 6 Feb 2014 21:19:12 +0000
tony sayer wrote:

In article , Davey
scribeth thus
On Thu, 6 Feb 2014 18:12:58 +0000
tony sayer wrote:

but last week we were changed a "handling fee" for stuff that was
ordered up on the web which was a nuisance more then much else, we
just added it to our customers bill

You too! But you could pass the cost on, I couldn't. See what I mean
about "how many others have been caught out by this"?

Well this was an order below 20 quid so that rarely happens...

They ought perhaps make it a bit clearer..

How about if a bunch more people complain? I already have, with no
result. Over to you folks.......

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 4 Feb 2014 12:11:18 +0000
Davey wrote:

snip

Soon I'll be able to play my freshly rebuilt Pioneer PL-12D deck
through the Goodmans!

Nearly there, but not quite.

I fitted all the new caps, with the exception of the two C69s, which
are too difficult to get at without a complete dismantling of the
board's wires etc. Two caps unchanged, out of 20 or more. If I
ultimately have to change them, then I will do so.
Replaced the damaged resistor.
Checked that the cassette player would play through both channels,
Balance and Volume controls worked, etc.
Re-assembled everything, including outer casing. Repeated cassette
player check.
Brought FM aerial down to workbench from usual location, plugged into
socket.
Selected FM, no sound except for a very faint cross-talk, when at full
volume, from the cassette player. No FM, though. The Tuning lights
appear to respond, so the failure is somewhere after them.
Oh dear. Back to the diagram and interior of the Module 80. When I get
more time.
Grrr.

One day.......

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 10 Feb 2014 12:50:10 +0000
Davey wrote:

On Tue, 4 Feb 2014 12:11:18 +0000
Davey wrote:

[...]

I fixed that ok, it was just a broken wire. But I then dragged the
record deck down, and plugged that in, and there is only one channel
getting through the system. More debugging.

--
Davey.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/02/14 11:49, Davey wrote:
On Mon, 10 Feb 2014 12:50:10 +0000
Davey wrote:

On Tue, 4 Feb 2014 12:11:18 +0000
Davey wrote:

[...]

That was the track you broke earlier.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 11 Feb 2014 12:22:13 +0000
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

On 11/02/14 11:49, Davey wrote:
On Mon, 10 Feb 2014 12:50:10 +0000
Davey wrote:

On Tue, 4 Feb 2014 12:11:18 +0000
Davey wrote:

[...]

Maybe, maybe not, although I agree it seems the most likely. I replaced
the broken resistor, and reconnected everything, including connecting
the two channels' shields together at the point where they join the
adjacent resistors, which became separated while removing the old
broken resistor.
I have to get back there, but I saw on the schematic, an electrolytic
cap. C62 right close to the resistors. I think, (to be checked), that
these are two tiny red caps., that look more like ceramic ones; but one
has a black spot on its side, which is not matched by the other. Could
this be:
1. An electrolytic;
2. A defective electrolytic;
3. The cause of the problem?

And also, as part of troubleshooting, would it be safe or dangerous
to components to use a DMM continuity checker (ohm-meter) to check
continuous electrical path from the socket to the R60 resistors? I would
hate to do that, only to find that I have blown a transistor
downstream. How else can I trace where there is, or is not, a signal in
the chain? Once it gets past the selector switches, the signal is full
stereo, as shown in Aux. and Tape and FM modes. Back to the very
original Subject title, "Oscilloscope"?

Thanks for any help.

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Goodmans Module 80 - Re- SOLVED !!!!

On 11/02/14 11:49, Davey wrote:
On Mon, 10 Feb 2014 12:50:10 +0000
Davey wrote:

On Tue, 4 Feb 2014 12:11:18 +0000
Davey wrote:

[...]

It's OK! This problem was a dirty socket at the back of the unit. Like
everything else, it's been in storage for 30-odd years, and after a few
in-out actions of the plug, it seems to have cleaned up the connectors.
Now it all works !!!!!!!!!

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/02/14 11:49, Davey wrote:
On Mon, 10 Feb 2014 12:50:10 +0000
Davey wrote:

On Tue, 4 Feb 2014 12:11:18 +0000
Davey wrote:

[...]

And with all new caps, for at least another 30 years.

Now to make a raspberry pi based MP3 player/internet radio and shoehorn
it in...

I made a whole 'music centre' for me mum and put it inside an old oak
coffer (17th century) to it could all come out again. Still got the coffer..

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 11 Feb 2014 16:25:33 +0000
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

And with all new caps, for at least another 30 years.

All but the two I mentioned earlier, that are too hard to get at. If I
need to later, so be it, but I'm only doing them if I need to!

I think I'll take a break. I've got some (plastic) steam engine kits on
the way.....

--
Davey.

Oscilloscope hardhackers Electronics Repair 9 January 19th 07 05:28 PM
Oscilloscope help oscllitr Electronics 2 March 27th 06 06:04 AM
More oscilloscope help please Ned Eric R Snow Metalworking 8 October 6th 05 11:45 AM
TEK-465 oscilloscope CH1 or 2 BNC Sidney Electronics Repair 0 December 1st 04 11:36 AM
Oscilloscope, How TO? James Lerch Electronics Repair 6 July 31st 04 05:11 AM