Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Changing handed-ness of ceramic disc taps

OK, bath with a wall spout and separate wall mounted ceramic disc taps.

As is normal the hot and cold turn in different directions for off and
one. One normal mixer taps this seems ok, but in this setup it's a
little thing that bugs me as my hands want them to go the same way -
like standard taps.

Before I pull one apart, Is it possible to modify one so that it turns
off the same way? I assume it is achieved either with stops inside the
tap in different places or the ceramic discs being aligned differently?
I've never had to fix one yet, so never taken one apart before

(And yes I know I could just rpelace one of the cartridges, but a few
solution would be nice:-) )
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

chris French wrote:

As is normal the hot and cold turn in different directions for off and
one. One normal mixer taps this seems ok, but in this setup it's a
little thing that bugs me as my hands want them to go the same way -
like standard taps.

Before I pull one apart, Is it possible to modify one so that it turns
off the same way?

Did this for a kitchen tap once (turned an arbitrary LH insert into a
RH.) Can't remember what I did, but suspect the fixed disc was re-fitted
at 90deg to where it started.

Pragmatically, I can't see /any/ manufacturer making different LH & RH
inserts.

--
Scott

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 07 Jan 2014 18:26:12 +0000, Scott M wrote:

Pragmatically, I can't see /any/ manufacturer making different LH & RH
inserts.

Well you can get them. They are needed so that "top away" has the
same action when they are either side of column on a mixer tap. It's
easier to have LH/RH versions available than have plumbers
dismantling things on site.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message o.uk, Dave
Liquorice writes
On Tue, 07 Jan 2014 18:26:12 +0000, Scott M wrote:

Pragmatically, I can't see /any/ manufacturer making different LH & RH
inserts.

Well you can get them. They are needed so that "top away" has the
same action when they are either side of column on a mixer tap. It's
easier to have LH/RH versions available than have plumbers
dismantling things on site.

Well yes the taps come with LH and RH inserts installed and you can buy
such replacements, but I think what Scott was suggesting is (and what I
was getting at I guess) are they just assembled differently in some way
- in his case it seems the ceramic discs aligned differently or are they
inherently different in a non modifiable way.

Waiting to see if anyone else has any experience of this before I take
mine apart
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

chris French wrote:
In message o.uk, Dave
Liquorice writes
On Tue, 07 Jan 2014 18:26:12 +0000, Scott M wrote:

Pragmatically, I can't see /any/ manufacturer making different LH & RH
inserts.

Well you can get them. They are needed so that "top away" has the
same action when they are either side of column on a mixer tap. It's
easier to have LH/RH versions available than have plumbers
dismantling things on site.

Well yes the taps come with LH and RH inserts installed and you can buy
such replacements, but I think what Scott was suggesting is (and what I
was getting at I guess) are they just assembled differently in some way
- in his case it seems the ceramic discs aligned differently or are they
inherently different in a non modifiable way.

Yes, that's what I meant - there'd be no value in making two different
cases. The one I did this to a column mixer tap, FWIW!

--
Scott

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Scott M
writes
chris French wrote:
In message o.uk,
Dave Liquorice writes
On Tue, 07 Jan 2014 18:26:12 +0000, Scott M wrote:

Pragmatically, I can't see /any/ manufacturer making different LH & RH
inserts.

Well you can get them. They are needed so that "top away" has the
same action when they are either side of column on a mixer tap. It's
easier to have LH/RH versions available than have plumbers
dismantling things on site.

Well yes the taps come with LH and RH inserts installed and you can
buy such replacements, but I think what Scott was suggesting is (and
what I was getting at I guess) are they just assembled differently in
some way - in his case it seems the ceramic discs aligned differently
or are they inherently different in a non modifiable way.

Yes, that's what I meant - there'd be no value in making two different
cases. The one I did this to a column mixer tap, FWIW!

Well, had a look inside mine.

There are stops inside the casing of the cartridge, which appear to be
machine in that are aligned differently in the hot and cold cartridges.
The fixed ceramic disc is fixed in one position (well I can turn it 180
degress, but that is no help.). . So no adjustment possible. If I want
to change it then a replacement cartridge will be the only solution.

Wonder how much it annoys me :-)
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 8 January 2014 15:40:22 UTC, chris French wrote:

Well, had a look inside mine.
There are stops inside the casing of the cartridge, which appear to be
machine in that are aligned differently in the hot and cold cartridges.
The fixed ceramic disc is fixed in one position (well I can turn it 180
degress, but that is no help.). . So no adjustment possible. If I want
to change it then a replacement cartridge will be the only solution.

This is not always true. I have a tap where it WAS possible to
reassemble it so as to reverse the operation direction.

If you decide to buy a replacement cartridge beware of the splines.
There seem to be many variations that look almost the same but have
different numbers of splines on the shaft.

John
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/01/2014 20:34, chris French wrote:
In message o.uk, Dave
Liquorice writes
On Tue, 07 Jan 2014 18:26:12 +0000, Scott M wrote:

Pragmatically, I can't see /any/ manufacturer making different LH & RH
inserts.

Well you can get them. They are needed so that "top away" has the
same action when they are either side of column on a mixer tap. It's
easier to have LH/RH versions available than have plumbers
dismantling things on site.

Well yes the taps come with LH and RH inserts installed and you can buy
such replacements, but I think what Scott was suggesting is (and what I
was getting at I guess) are they just assembled differently in some way
- in his case it seems the ceramic discs aligned differently or are they
inherently different in a non modifiable way.

Waiting to see if anyone else has any experience of this before I take
mine apart

My local plumbers merchant said that hot & cold inserts are identical -
apart from the "handing". Thats the only reason they are colour coded.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John

Is it easier to learn to live with it - after all everone elses that you
encounter will be in the normal opposite arrangement that you dislike.

--

DerbyBorn
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/01/2014 15:40, chris French wrote:
If I want to change it then a replacement cartridge will be the only
solution.

Last time I descaled one I put it back together wrong, and it came out
wrong handed.

Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to The Medway Handyman, YorkshireDave wrote:
Fact is there are some 2000 variations of cartridges in use in taps. Some
manufacturers are fixed in handedness and some are not. You have NO WAY of
knowing until you strip it down.

That's why we have invented TapMedic. A universal ceramic disc tap or shower
cartridge. Have a nose here www.tapmedic.co.uk. It will fix 96% of separate
hot and cold cartridges in use today more easily, more speedily and cheaper
than anything else available. Oh, it's also made up to a quality in Sheffield
not down to a price in China...

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy/...ps-947757-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/09/16 00:44, YorkshireDave wrote:
replying to The Medway Handyman, YorkshireDave wrote:
Fact is there are some 2000 variations of cartridges in use in taps. Some
manufacturers are fixed in handedness and some are not. You have NO WAY of
knowing until you strip it down.

That's why we have invented TapMedic. A universal ceramic disc tap or
shower
cartridge. Have a nose here www.tapmedic.co.uk. It will fix 96% of separate
hot and cold cartridges in use today more easily, more speedily and cheaper
than anything else available. Oh, it's also made up to a quality in
Sheffield
not down to a price in China...

The true purpose of homeowners hub becomes apparent. To propagate spam
and snake oil products.

--
"If you dont read the news paper, you are un-informed. If you read the
news paper, you are mis-informed."

Mark Twain
Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to The Natural Philosopher, YorkshireDave wrote:
Says the person wearing the Emperor's new clothes. Look it up if you are
nothing more than irrationally aspirational...

For your information, not that facts would ever be allowed to cloud your
paradigms, my principal intent was an attempt to help people then, of course,
promote.

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy/...ps-947757-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to The Natural Philosopher, YorkshireDave wrote:
Says the person wearing the Emperor's new clothes who has yet to post anything
constructive in nearly 10 years. You really are nothing more than irrationally
aspirational...

For your information, yes I get it that for you facts would never be allowed
to cloud your paradigms, my principal intent was an attempt to help people
then, of course, promote.

I cannot but help notice how you hide yourself away. I'll wager you don't have
mirrors in your cave either.

Get out more Mr Troll.

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy/...ps-947757-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/09/16 03:26, YorkshireDave wrote:
replying to The Natural Philosopher, YorkshireDave wrote:
Says the person wearing the Emperor's new clothes who has yet to post
anything
constructive in nearly 10 years. You really are nothing more than
irrationally
aspirational...

For your information, yes I get it that for you facts would never be
allowed
to cloud your paradigms, my principal intent was an attempt to help people
then, of course, promote.

I cannot but help notice how you hide yourself away. I'll wager you
don't have
mirrors in your cave either.
Get out more Mr Troll.

I have been her for over 16 years. I didn't see you around.

Johnny come lately on the commercial 'home owners hub'

Profiting out of a technology they don't own and didn't create.

I dont suppose you even know what 'usenet' is?

its shoes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

YorkshireDave m wrote:
snip ad

Please read. http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/about.html

Tim
--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to The Natural Philosopher, YorkshireDave wrote:
Ahhh isn't that cute of you.
If you wish to try the 'who can pee highest' as a measure of your cognative
superiority then you need to go back to Janet.
Just so you understand the mind you are attempting to bully, I made my first
purchase using the internet, pre www, in 1990. Oh, and I built from scratch in
kit form, soldering every component, then programmed it in assembly language,
a UK101. Recall that was late 1970s or very early 80s.
That you have 'lurked' here for that long praying on young victims is an
indication of your pathological need for continual validation.
Please reply soon, this amuses me greatly.

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy/...ps-947757-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 30 Sep 2016 12:14:01 +0000, YorkshireDave wrote:

replying to The Natural Philosopher, YorkshireDave wrote:
Ahhh isn't that cute of you. If you wish to try the 'who can pee
highest'
as a measure of your cognative superiority then you need to go back to
Janet. Just so you understand the mind you are attempting to bully, I
made my first purchase using the internet, pre www, in 1990. Oh, and I
built from scratch in kit form, soldering every component, then
programmed it in assembly language, a UK101. Recall that was late 1970s
or very early 80s.
That you have 'lurked' here for that long praying on young victims is an
indication of your pathological need for continual validation.

I don't think he is religious.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

YorkshireDave m wrote:
replying to The Natural Philosopher, YorkshireDave wrote:
Ahhh isn't that cute of you.
If you wish to try the 'who can pee highest' as a measure of your cognative
superiority then you need to go back to Janet.
Just so you understand the mind you are attempting to bully, I made my first
purchase using the internet, pre www, in 1990. Oh, and I built from scratch in
kit form, soldering every component, then programmed it in assembly language,
a UK101. Recall that was late 1970s or very early 80s.
That you have 'lurked' here for that long praying on young victims is an
indication of your pathological need for continual validation.
Please reply soon, this amuses me greatly.

TNP knows how to quote and how to use a newsreader. Come back to us when
you've learned these simple tasks.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/09/2016 03:26, YorkshireDave wrote:
replying to The Natural Philosopher, YorkshireDave wrote:
Says the person wearing the Emperor's new clothes. Look it up if you are
nothing more than irrationally aspirational...

At least he has the grace to include some of the text of the post he is
replying to.

Unless you want to be equally flamed may I suggest you quote the
relevant text you're replying to.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/09/2016 13:14, YorkshireDave wrote:
replying to The Natural Philosopher, YorkshireDave wrote:
Ahhh isn't that cute of you. If you wish to try the 'who can pee
highest' as a measure of your cognative
superiority then you need to go back to Janet. Just so you understand
the mind you are attempting to bully, I made my first
purchase using the internet, pre www, in 1990. Oh, and I built from
scratch in
kit form, soldering every component, then programmed it in assembly
language, a UK101. Recall that was late 1970s or very early 80s.
That you have 'lurked' here for that long praying on young victims is an
indication of your pathological need for continual validation.
Please reply soon, this amuses me greatly.

What are you replying to?

All I see is abuse connected with a website you're posting from.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Tim+, YorkshireDave wrote:
TNP knows how to quote and how to use a newsreader. Come back to us when

you've learned these simple tasks.
Tim

Tim.
Your heart warming welcome leaves me overcome with emotion.
YD

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy/...ps-947757-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/09/16 13:14, YorkshireDave wrote:
replying to The Natural Philosopher, YorkshireDave wrote:
Ahhh isn't that cute of you. If you wish to try the 'who can pee
highest' as a measure of your cognative
superiority then you need to go back to Janet. Just so you understand
the mind you are attempting to bully, I made my first
purchase using the internet, pre www, in 1990. Oh, and I built from
scratch in
kit form, soldering every component, then programmed it in assembly
language, a UK101. Recall that was late 1970s or very early 80s.
That you have 'lurked' here for that long praying on young victims is an
indication of your pathological need for continual validation.
Please reply soon, this amuses me greatly.

What a prime **** AND arsehole you are to be sure.

*plonk*

windows of my apartment. (I live on the twenty-first floor.) "

Alan Sokal
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/09/16 14:14, YorkshireDave wrote:
replying to Tim+, YorkshireDave wrote:
TNP knows how to quote and how to use a newsreader. Come back to us when

you've learned these simple tasks.
Tim

Tim. Your heart warming welcome leaves me overcome with emotion.
YD

FOAD.

You bring nothing of any value.

windows of my apartment. (I live on the twenty-first floor.) "

Alan Sokal
Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to YorkshireDave, Andy diyplumb wrote:
I just dismantled a cheap pair of cartridges. The ceramic discs and the
spindles are the same. the differences are in the body, the quarter turn
stops are offset 90 degrees to make them H or C.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...ps-947757-.htm

Dripping ceramic disc taps. Ret.[_5_] UK diy 51 April 1st 19 09:47 PM
Changing bath taps? Gareth[_5_] UK diy 3 September 23rd 11 06:54 PM
Ceramic disk tap - where to get replacement ceramic disc or repair otherwise? [email protected] UK diy 14 August 13th 09 09:19 AM
1/4 turn ceramic disc basin taps SilverWrinkly UK diy 6 December 4th 06 08:24 AM
Taps: changing the tops over. F UK diy 22 September 13th 06 12:20 AM