Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Charity shop/good cause that wants building materials?

I'm just about finished on a self-build, and have some left-over building materials.

Previously I've used Freecycle, but that's become rather inundated with - shall we say - the "rather grasping".

So I'm looking either for a good-cause that has a direct use, or a charity-store that will either sell stuff, or re-gift stuff to some deserving cause.

Suggestions?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
I'm just about finished on a self-build, and have some left-over building
materials.

Previously I've used Freecycle, but that's become rather inundated with -
shall we say - the "rather grasping".

So I'm looking either for a good-cause that has a direct use, or a
charity-store that will either sell stuff, or re-gift stuff to some
deserving cause.

Suggestions?

If it's not too heavy, local car boot sale?
Better to wait for fine weather.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
" writes
I'm just about finished on a self-build, and have some left-over
building materials.

Previously I've used Freecycle, but that's become rather inundated with
- shall we say - the "rather grasping".

So I'm looking either for a good-cause that has a direct use, or a
charity-store that will either sell stuff, or re-gift stuff to some
deserving cause.

Suggestions?

Good causes are unlikely to travel vast distances to collect something
for free as it could end up cheaper buying locally. It might help if
you gave a rough idea as to where you are, and the sort of stuff you've
got (wood, plaster, sand ...).

Adrian
--
To Reply :
replace "diy" with "news" and reverse the domain

If you are reading this from a web interface eg DIY Banter,
DIY Forum or Google Groups, please be aware this is NOT a forum, and
you are merely using a web portal to a USENET group. Many people block
posters coming from web portals due to perceieved SPAM or inaneness.
For a better method of access, please see:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Also there might be some local self build groups who do this sort of thing
already. I heard some mentioned on the radio, but was not really paying
attention at the time.

Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Adrian" wrote in message
In message ,
" writes
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I set up, and used to run, the local Freecycle group.

I wouldn't rule out freecycle for items that I know will attract only mostly genuine people.

But certain items attract dozens of nuisance emails, and unreliable people, that if they turn up at all - they then turn up late with unsuitable vehicles, begging for anything and everything, string, rope, tape, bags, other building materials that are nothing to do with them, borrow tools, fix-my-crappy-roofrack etc.

And/or followed by endless "waah - why didn't I get XYZ?".

What I'm looking to do here is to make a donation of useful/valuable stuff to a worthy cause - with the least hassle.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, January 5, 2014 10:39:43 AM UTC, wrote:

I set up, and used to run, the local Freecycle group.
I wouldn't rule out freecycle for items that I know will attract only mostly genuine people.
But certain items attract dozens of nuisance emails, and unreliable people, that if they turn up at all - they then turn up late with unsuitable vehicles, begging for anything and everything, string, rope, tape, bags, other building materials that are nothing to do with them, borrow tools, fix-my-crappy-roofrack etc.
And/or followed by endless "waah - why didn't I get XYZ?".
What I'm looking to do here is to make a donation of useful/valuable stuff to a worthy cause - with the least hassle.

An easy solution to that IME is to include a condition in the offer that they need to respond to in their reply. One simple option is to say responses without a desired collection day & time will go to the back of the queue.

Anyone with a time wasting reply gets spambinned - but not genuine questions.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
[...]

I just make it clear that they collect at my convenience, and beyond helping
to put it in their car they get no assistance from me at all

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Roger Mills" wrote in message
On 05/01/2014 09:12, tim...... wrote:

That's not my experience. When I've done that, the grabbers still reply
along the lines of "I'll have that" without bothering to read the
conditions.

I got kicked off my local freegle group after getting fed up of the people
with auto responders that sent a 'that's just what i need, please can i have
it' reply to almost all posts the second they went live,
of course most of the people who do that just want free stuff to sell on
eBay or at car boots. so don't even bother to set up a mail rule to respond
to certain words in the ads.

I offered a few things like '**** on a stick' 'contents of a septic tank'
and 'second hand jam rags' and sure enough i got about 12 replies asking for
them (and a few from real people pointing out how disgusting i was, and it
was those that got me kicked off)

most replies were of the 'i'll have that, when can i collect' type, but one
was a real sob story line of 'i've been wanting to buy one of those for
years, but could never save up the money due to all my money going on my
disabled son, please please please can i have the one you are offering, it
would make me so happy if i could finally own one after all these years of
waiting'
she'd been waiting years for all of the items i posted of course.

Then i posted an 'ad' with a list of the people who had sent mails claiming
they wanted the items, warning others on the list what those people were
doing,
a few people replied saying they had only figured out people did this kind
of thing after the same person had been to their house to get items about 5
times! most didn't even know you could set up email auto responders,

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/01/2014 09:12, tim...... wrote:

That's not my experience. When I've done that, the grabbers still reply
along the lines of "I'll have that" without bothering to read the
conditions.

I got kicked off my local freegle group after getting fed up of the
people with auto responders that sent a 'that's just what i need, please
can i have it' reply to almost all posts the second they went live,

[Snip]

Luckily, we don't seem to have this sort of person on our local group, but
we do have some "I need" people. Someone once posted "wanted a 3 bedroom
house" and got kicked off, but so many people complained, he was
re-instated.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
I'm just about finished on a self-build, and have some left-over building materials.

Build a brick barbecue.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y
jkn jkn is offline

Some towns have a wood recycling facility that might take some of this, and maybe advise on the disposal of the rest... eg:

http://www.woodrecycling.org.uk/

Though when I disposed of a load of wood from my late Father's garage some years ago, I still had to pay them for the removal ;-(.

I third the support of Emmaus, an excellent organisation.

Cheers
Jon N
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 4 January 2014 16:44:56 UTC, wrote:
I'm just about finished on a self-build...

Various clarifications:
I have a van and can transport moderate distances.
There's an Emmaus near-ish me (Cambridge) - I'll phone an ask - although building materials are not on their list of accepted stuff.
Boot sale doesn't appeal - I'm time-poor, and would prefer to give to a good cause rather than sell.
Stuff includes quite a bit of celotex, joinery timber, new-ish ikea kitchen units, and some large gothic-arched sealed glazing units.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 4 Jan 2014 12:57:29 -0800 (PST), wrote:

... and some large gothic-arched sealed glazing units.

Oooo...

... near-ish me (Cambridge) ...

Ahhhh, but they wouldn't be the right curve for our opening anyway.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
" writes
On Saturday, 4 January 2014 16:44:56 UTC, wrote:
I'm just about finished on a self-build...

Various clarifications:
I have a van and can transport moderate distances.
There's an Emmaus near-ish me (Cambridge) - I'll phone an ask -
although building materials are not on their list of accepted stuff.
Boot sale doesn't appeal - I'm time-poor, and would prefer to give to a
good cause rather than sell.
Stuff includes quite a bit of celotex, joinery timber, new-ish ikea
kitchen units, and some large gothic-arched sealed glazing units.

Duuno about general stuff. There is a paint recycling place near
Cambridge somewhere.
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Saturday, 4 January 2014 16:44:56 UTC, wrote:
I'm just about finished on a self-build...

Various clarifications:
I have a van and can transport moderate distances.
There's an Emmaus near-ish me (Cambridge) - I'll phone an ask - although building materials are not on their list of accepted stuff.
Boot sale doesn't appeal - I'm time-poor, and would prefer to give to a good cause rather than sell.
Stuff includes quite a bit of celotex, joinery timber, new-ish ikea kitchen units, and some large gothic-arched sealed glazing units.

Got a scout group near by?
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, January 4, 2014 4:44:56 PM UTC, wrote:
I'm just about finished on a self-build, and have some left-over building materials.

Previously I've used Freecycle, but that's become rather inundated with - shall we say - the "rather grasping".

So I'm looking either for a good-cause that has a direct use, or a charity-store that will either sell stuff, or re-gift stuff to some deserving cause.

Suggestions?

You could have a look at http://www.recipro-uk.com/community_projects

Seems to do the sort of thing you're looking for, but I don't know how easy it is to match what you've got with people who need it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

You could have a look at http://www.recipro-uk.com/community_projects

Excellent resource! Thanks for that, exactly the sort of thing I was looking for.

Japan/Building Materials Bill[_37_] Woodworking 17 March 22nd 11 07:45 PM
uPVC building materials? The Wanderer[_2_] UK diy 2 March 21st 10 07:28 AM
Building materials continued...... Tom UK diy 3 August 25th 06 02:20 PM
Building materials Tom UK diy 7 August 24th 06 09:45 PM
Building Materials [email protected] Home Repair 9 May 2nd 06 05:04 PM