Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tom Tom is offline

Default Building materials continued......

Thanks for all you help in my previous post, after ringing around i found
the local builders merchant to be very cheap and helpful. One other
question i do have is should i run light/socket cables in conduit within the
stud walls? As they would be in direct contact with the insulation could
they get to warm and start a fire??

Thanks
Tom

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tom wrote:
Thanks for all you help in my previous post, after ringing around i found
the local builders merchant to be very cheap and helpful. One other
question i do have is should i run light/socket cables in conduit within the
stud walls?

I didn't and te BCO never batted an eyelid. They are double insulated
already.

As they would be in direct contact with the insulation could
they get to warm and start a fire??

Hmm. They are fused at the consumer unit to 6A, and should never get
warm enough to do anything.

Rockwool is itself pretty fireproof, as is celotex. Its only polystyrene
that is bad news and that won't pass in a wall.

And in any case its unlikely that the cable would be fully enclosed in
insulation..you tend to run it inside, our outside, or clipped to a
stud, and that helps heat loss considerably.

Thanks
Tom

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tom Tom is offline

Tom wrote:
[...]

Thanks very much for your help, it will save me a great deal of time!!!
Let construction commence this weekend!!

Tom

Posted to uk.d-i-y

One other question i do have is should i run light/socket cables in
conduit within the stud walls?

There are three main ways of running cables within a stud partition (there
are other silly ones).

1. More than 5cm deep from the wall surface.
2. In metal conduit
3. Within the permitted zones (along the top and sides of the wall, or in
line with visible electric fittings).

As they would be in direct contact with the insulation could they get to
warm and start a fire??

You may need to derate the cable, by up to 50%. See the tables. You might
need thicker cable than normal.

Christian.