Default UK Building Products Search Engine

Buildingtrade.org.uk is launching a new search engine specifically for
the building trade in the UK - Building Search :

http://www.buildingtrade.org.uk/cgi-...ldingSearch.py

It currently searches around a million pages, *only* returning results
relevant to the UK building trade.

You can read more about it at :
http://www.buildingtrade.org.uk/arti...ng_search.html

The number of pages it indexes is growing almost daily.

You should use Building Search if you're looking for :

* Manufacturers of building products
* Suppliers of building materials
* Distributors and resellers
* Directories of companies
* Advice on building regulations
* Product details and specifications

The areas covered include :

* Heavyside building materials
* Lightside fittings and fixtures
* Painting and Decorating Products
* Computer software
* Design and consultancy services
* Insurance
* Site plant and equipment
* Advice and government sites
* Trade organisations and official bodies
* Plus lots, lots more....

This is still a *beta quality* service, which means we're working on
increasing it's speed and efficiency.

Charlie

On 3 Nov 2005 07:54:31 -0800, wrote:

Buildingtrade.org.uk is launching a new search engine specifically for
the building trade in the UK - Building Search :

http://www.buildingtrade.org.uk/cgi-...ldingSearch.py

It currently searches around a million pages, *only* returning results
relevant to the UK building trade.

er.. I don't think it does. I'd *really* take a look at improving the
results,a lot of them are not at all relevant either to the query or
the building trade.

A couple of examples: searching for 'Concrete cambridge' gave
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/talking_point/3266673.stm
'dry rot norfolk' gave
http://www.kellysearch.com/qz-product-11239.html

Other searches gave formatting errors, the results are presented as a
long unranked list not in blocks of 10 or 20, you're spidering
irrelevant indexes such as Kellysearch.. I could go on.

Not impressed I'm afraid. sorry to be critical but search is one of
the things I know a bit about:
www.lemurconsulting.com

Charlie wrote:
On 3 Nov 2005 07:54:31 -0800, wrote:

Buildingtrade.org.uk is launching a new search engine specifically for
the building trade in the UK - Building Search :

http://www.buildingtrade.org.uk/cgi-...ldingSearch.py

It currently searches around a million pages, *only* returning results
relevant to the UK building trade.

er.. I don't think it does. I'd *really* take a look at improving the
results,a lot of them are not at all relevant either to the query or
the building trade.

A couple of examples: searching for 'Concrete cambridge' gave
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/talking_point/3266673.stm

Hmm.... well we haven't got it perfect.
But 'ugly buildings' aren't relevant to the construction industry ?

'dry rot norfolk' gave
http://www.kellysearch.com/qz-product-11239.html

Which is a page of building maintenance contractors.....

Other searches gave formatting errors, the results are presented as a

Formatting errors ? I'd like to sort those. Can you give me an example
? (Private mail if you want).

long unranked list not in blocks of 10 or 20, you're spidering
irrelevant indexes such as Kellysearch.. I could go on.

I don't think kellysearch is irrelevant - although it's very wide, they
have a lot of very useful information. (I don't own any shares in
them). We don't actually claim 100% accuracy - despite the spin - but
both searches you used as examples yield genuinely useful results.

Anyway, thanks for your input. We've got a lot more work to do - and
improving relevancy will be a big part of that.

Mike