Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Building Materials

Hi All,

Does anyone know where I can get drywayll, etc. cheaper than the Home
Depot? Not that it's very expensive, but any money saved is a bonus.
Stuff like drywall, 2x4, 2x3, concrete, etc?

I live near worcester, ma.

Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair
RayV

how about 84 Lumber in West Springfield?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"Mike Plate" wrote in message
ups.com...
If there was, you better belive they would be bigger then The Home
Depot!
You aren't going to find any place that is selling 1/2in 4x8 drywall
cheaper then the $9.48 or whatever HD sells for now.

Bull ****

Posted to alt.home.repair
Mike Plate

Could you elaborate on your insightful comment? If there is a place I
could get drywall cheaper then $9.50 a sheet I would love to know.
Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Allison

Mike Plate wrote:
Could you elaborate on your insightful comment? If there is a place I
could get drywall cheaper then $9.50 a sheet I would love to know.
Thanks

You probably can't get it for cheaper than that. I always get
whatever drywall I need from my drywall contractor. He
usually does all my drywall jobs, but if I need drywall
without his crews, I get it much cheaper than that from him.
I just bought 126 sheets of 5/8" x 4' x 16' from him. I paid
11.00 a sheet for it, but that was stocked in each room.

He gets his from a drywall supplier by the name of Builders
Gypsum.

http://www.buildersgypsum.com/round.htm

I used to buy from them, but recently they have restricted
sales to existing customers. Drywall orders must be placed
3-4 weeks in advance due to shortages of drywall. But yes, it
can be had for much cheaper than Home Depot, just not by everyone.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"Mike Plate" wrote in message
ups.com...
Could you elaborate on your insightful comment? If there is a place I
could get drywall cheaper then $9.50 a sheet I would love to know.
Thanks

Yes, there are some building supply houses that can compete with and beat HD
on a lot of items. Granted, HD is cheap on many items, but your comments
that others would be big if they sold cheaper is just plain wrong. Some
local stores can meet or beat HD on many items.

Posted to alt.home.repair
lp13-30

What is going on with drywall anyway? A couple of weeks ago it was $7.19
at both HD and Lowes. Last time I looked a few days ago it was $7.91.
Shortages due to rebuilding New Orleans? Housing boom? combination of
both? BTW, those prices were for 4X8 1/2" in San Antonio.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"lp13-30" wrote in message
What is going on with drywall anyway? A couple of weeks ago it was $7.19
at both HD and Lowes. Last time I looked a few days ago it was $7.91.
Shortages due to rebuilding New Orleans? Housing boom? combination of
both? BTW, those prices were for 4X8 1/2" in San Antonio.

That plus the cost of fuel. drywall is heavy stuff and freight fuel
surcharges are in the 20% range right now.

Posted to alt.home.repair
tim1198

Often times, you can call the building supply places in your hometown
and get things like trim, roofing materials, and sometimes drywall for
cheaper.

But generally, HD is very competitive because of the scale and buying
power. And their return policy is good.

tim1198