Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Mobile phone screen repair

So anyway, I've stripped my phone down to its individual bits and got the
new screen and digitiser ready to replace the old shattered one, and
right at the start I have a query. It's recommended to use 1mm wide
double-sided tape to secure the inner and outer screens to each other and
the substrate beneath, but this is extremely fiddly and there's not
really any chance to reposition accurately once tack has taken hold (and
accurate placement is critical!!). Has anyone had to do this and is there
a viable alternative to tape?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Silicone?

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 24 Dec 2013 08:12:36 -0800, Jim K wrote:

Silicone?

Jim K

Well it's a better idea than anything I've come up with! The problem
would be how to apply it, though. You're talking a max. 1mm bead of the
stuff (worse yet - half-mil allowing for squish during reassembly) so
ideally one would need a hypodermic syringe to lay it down - and I think
the viscosity would make that impossible?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cursitor Doom wrote:
So anyway, I've stripped my phone down to its individual bits and got the
new screen and digitiser ready to replace the old shattered one, and
right at the start I have a query. It's recommended to use 1mm wide
double-sided tape to secure the inner and outer screens to each other and
the substrate beneath, but this is extremely fiddly and there's not
really any chance to reposition accurately once tack has taken hold (and
accurate placement is critical!!). Has anyone had to do this and is there
a viable alternative to tape?

A clue as to the handset would help you know! Not all phones are the same.

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 24 Dec 2013 19:42:29 +0000, Tim+ wrote:

A clue as to the handset would help you know! Not all phones are the
same.

I believe in this respect all smartphones are pretty much the same. The
one I have in mind is a Samsung Wave II S8530 if that means anything to
anyone!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Slightly OT, but I have just managed to replace a 10year old Sanyo
phone power/data connector with a mini usb socket for charging. Don't
need data as it has bluetooth. I initially tried with a micro usb
socket, but found it too frail when installed. I think using micro usb
for charging is a very dubious exercise and I understand some units are
failing within the first year..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Capitol" wrote in message
o.uk...

Slightly OT, but I have just managed to replace a 10year old Sanyo phone
power/data connector with a mini usb socket for charging. Don't need data
as it has bluetooth. I initially tried with a micro usb socket, but found
it too frail when installed. I think using micro usb for charging is a
very dubious exercise and I understand some units are failing within the
first year..

I replaced the screen on a Samsung Mini earlier this year. The
removal/replacement instructions for that were - use hairdryer to warm
screen, and push gently out of the plastic frame. I did this, and found
that were was enough sticky left on the frame to fit the new screen without
any further adhesive. The mini is all in layers, and once put back together
all the components are held tightly anyway. You may find yours is the same -
how sticky is the frame now you have it in bits?
Charles F

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 25 Dec 2013 08:43:55 +0000, Charles F wrote:

"Capitol" wrote in message
o.uk...

[...]

Never occurred to me, to be honest, Charles. I'm afraid I scraped all the
old tape off as per all the tutorials I'd seen on youtube!

Do you remember the connector for the digitiser/screen? This is a narrow
6 pin thin film cable that connects together these two components
together. It's the first connection you have to make on reassembly. I
can't see how the film's contact area is secured to its corresponding
interface! Is it simply the case that it relies on pressure from behind
to hold it in place? There's a sticky pad as well to assist, but that's
half an inch away behind the digitizer chip. Your construction sounds
exactly like mine, so I'm guessing that when the layers are reassembled,
the film connector will have sufficient pressure behind it to hold it in
position? There's a couple of good hi-res shots of the connector in
question about half way down this page here (you'll have to paste the
whole 3 lines into the url window most probably 'cos the hyphens may
confuse things otherwise). You can see the connector I refer to towards
the bottom left of the chip in the first large picture. Hopefully it will
jog your memory:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Black-LCD-...Digitizer-For-
Samsung-S8530-Wave-II-2-/390666094726?
pt=UK_Replacement_Parts_Tools&hash=item5af5838886
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Capitol
scribeth thus

Slightly OT, but I have just managed to replace a 10year old Sanyo
phone power/data connector with a mini usb socket for charging. Don't
need data as it has bluetooth. I initially tried with a micro usb
socket, but found it too frail when installed. I think using micro usb
for charging is a very dubious exercise and I understand some units are
failing within the first year..

My daughter has managed to "fix" her smartphone many times with bits off
e-bay theres usually a vid of how to take it apart on U tube
somewhere...
--
Tony Sayer