Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default installing a stud frame on a concrete floor for a partition wall.....

I am installing a stud partition wall in a room that is ground floor and
has a concrete floor.

First part of the job is obviously to screw the 2.0 metre long 4 inch
by 2 inch floor rail down to the concrete floor before doing the ceiling
rail and the 5 vertical rails.

There is an existing DPM under the concrete floor.

How deep can I drill the concrete floor for rawlplugs without
accidentally puncturing the existing buried DPM and causing a damp floor?

House was built in 1986 if that helps with the building regs at the time.

Or am I resigned to using "sticks like swearword" or "No More Nails" to
bond the wood rail to the concrete floor? *big grin*

Regards,

Stephen.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday 17 December 2013 00:23 Stephen wrote in uk.d-i-y:

I am installing a stud partition wall in a room that is ground floor and
has a concrete floor.

First part of the job is obviously to screw the 2.0 metre long 4 inch
by 2 inch floor rail down to the concrete floor before doing the ceiling
rail and the 5 vertical rails.

There is an existing DPM under the concrete floor.

How deep can I drill the concrete floor for rawlplugs without
accidentally puncturing the existing buried DPM and causing a damp floor?

House was built in 1986 if that helps with the building regs at the time.

Or am I resigned to using "sticks like swearword" or "No More Nails" to
bond the wood rail to the concrete floor? *big grin*

Regards,

Stephen.

I would not worry about a hole the size of a plug+screw. It's a DPM not
"tanking" as might be used in a celler. The amount of moisture that could
escape around a screw is so next to bugger all that it will easily be
dispersed when it gets to the top.

But if you are worried, modern DPMs will be under the concrete so you should
have 4-5" easily.

Older DPMs were bitumen sometimes between the concrete and screed and you
might have 0.75-1.5" of "safe" depth.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Stephen" wrote in message
I am installing a stud partition wall in a room that is ground floor and
has a concrete floor.

First part of the job is obviously to screw the 2.0 metre long 4 inch by
2 inch floor rail down to the concrete floor before doing the ceiling rail
and the 5 vertical rails.

There is an existing DPM under the concrete floor.

How deep can I drill the concrete floor for rawlplugs without accidentally
puncturing the existing buried DPM and causing a damp floor?

House was built in 1986 if that helps with the building regs at the time.

Or am I resigned to using "sticks like swearword" or "No More Nails" to
bond the wood rail to the concrete floor? *big grin*

Concrete floors are normally 100mm thick min. plus there will be 50mm of
(foam) insulation below that.
So your DPM is 150mm below the surface.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/12/2013 00:23, Stephen wrote:
I am installing a stud partition wall in a room that is ground floor and
has a concrete floor.

First part of the job is obviously to screw the 2.0 metre long 4 inch
by 2 inch floor rail down to the concrete floor before doing the ceiling
rail and the 5 vertical rails.

Choose a screw that penetrates into concrete by 50-65mm .... fully safe
then .... if you use a number of these, should give you good fixing.

Could always put a bed of construction adhesive underneath and then
screw .... safe & solid that way.

BTW - could use tap con as well .. save bother of plugs and lining up holes.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/12/2013 11:56, Rick Hughes wrote:
On 17/12/2013 00:23, Stephen wrote:
I am installing a stud partition wall in a room that is ground floor and
has a concrete floor.

First part of the job is obviously to screw the 2.0 metre long 4 inch
by 2 inch floor rail down to the concrete floor before doing the ceiling
rail and the 5 vertical rails.

Choose a screw that penetrates into concrete by 50-65mm .... fully safe
then .... if you use a number of these, should give you good fixing.

Could always put a bed of construction adhesive underneath and then
screw .... safe & solid that way.

BTW - could use tap con as well .. save bother of plugs and lining up
holes.

Would fame fixing screws be a better bet? And be a better grip in concrete?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/12/2013 07:48, harryagain wrote:

Concrete floors are normally 100mm thick min. plus there will be 50mm of
(foam) insulation below that.

Foam insulation in 1986? I doubt it!

There may well be 100mm of concrete and 50mm of screed though, so no
need to worry too much.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/12/2013 00:23, Stephen wrote:
I am installing a stud partition wall in a room that is ground floor and
has a concrete floor.

First part of the job is obviously to screw the 2.0 metre long 4 inch
by 2 inch floor rail down to the concrete floor before doing the ceiling
rail and the 5 vertical rails.

There is an existing DPM under the concrete floor.

How deep can I drill the concrete floor for rawlplugs without
accidentally puncturing the existing buried DPM and causing a damp floor?

A penetration of a inch or so should be ample - all you are doing it
stopping it slide about, its not like its going to get any "pull" on it.

In fact, I would usually part fix the foot rail with a couple of masonry
nails not driven fully home. Build the wall, and then when you are done
you have the option of freeing the base of the wall and moving it about
if required with a lump hammer. Drive the nails home once you are
content its in the right place and vertical.

--
Cheers,

John.