Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Max HDMI length.

At the moment I have a SCART cable running from the PVR in the sitting
room to the TV in the kitchen, via a DA. Allows you to watch recorded
things in the kitchen etc.

The kitchen TV is on its last legs and I'm thinking I may have to update
things to HDMI. It would need a cable of about 16 metres length. Is this
ok? There appear to be passive splitters for a few quid - are they any
good? Pukka DAs seem to range from about 20 -350 quid. ;-)

--
*I'm planning to be spontaneous tomorrow *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

At the moment I have a SCART cable running from the PVR in the sitting
room to the TV in the kitchen, via a DA. Allows you to watch recorded
things in the kitchen etc.

The kitchen TV is on its last legs and I'm thinking I may have to update
things to HDMI. It would need a cable of about 16 metres length. Is this
ok? There appear to be passive splitters for a few quid - are they any
good? Pukka DAs seem to range from about 20 -350 quid. ;-)

15 metres is pushing the limits
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI

Not all HDMI cables are equal - but price is no indication of quality.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"alan" wrote in message
At the moment I have a SCART cable running from the PVR in the sitting
room to the TV in the kitchen, via a DA. Allows you to watch recorded
things in the kitchen etc.

The kitchen TV is on its last legs and I'm thinking I may have to update
things to HDMI. It would need a cable of about 16 metres length. Is this
ok? There appear to be passive splitters for a few quid - are they any
good? Pukka DAs seem to range from about 20 -350 quid. ;-)

15 metres is pushing the limits
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI

I've got one 20 metre HDMI cable (study PC to living room TV) which seems
fine - picture always locks when selected as fast as signals with shorter
length cables. This 20M cable came from 7 day shop, for what it's worth.

I've noticed that as HDMI cables get longer they also get thicker -
sequentially for the lengths I have of 2, 7, and 20M. It's unlikely that the
currents involved are great enough to require larger conductors, so I
presume that the internal core insulation has to be thicker on longer cables
to keep the capacitance and inductance within limits.

No experience of HDMI DA's though...

Charles F

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/12/2013 01:03, alan wrote:
At the moment I have a SCART cable running from the PVR in the sitting
room to the TV in the kitchen, via a DA. Allows you to watch recorded
things in the kitchen etc.

The kitchen TV is on its last legs and I'm thinking I may have to update
things to HDMI. It would need a cable of about 16 metres length. Is this
ok? There appear to be passive splitters for a few quid - are they any
good? Pukka DAs seem to range from about 20 -350 quid. ;-)

15 metres is pushing the limits
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI

Not all HDMI cables are equal - but price is no indication of quality.

I have used DVI over about 20m and that's the same signals as HDMI.
I can't see why HDMI wouldn't also work over that distance as long as
its a good cable.
IIRC the cable came from cable universe but it was a while ago.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
At the moment I have a SCART cable running from the PVR in the sitting
room to the TV in the kitchen, via a DA. Allows you to watch recorded
things in the kitchen etc.

The kitchen TV is on its last legs and I'm thinking I may have to update
things to HDMI. It would need a cable of about 16 metres length. Is this
ok? There appear to be passive splitters for a few quid - are they any
good? Pukka DAs seem to range from about 20 -350 quid. ;-)

--
*I'm planning to be spontaneous tomorrow *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

The HDMI cable includes power supply so you can buy one that incliudes a
tiny amplifier so increasing the distance you can transmit. Digital
signalso no degradation.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI#Extenders

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 17 Dec 2013 00:22:21 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

At the moment I have a SCART cable running from the PVR in the sitting
room to the TV in the kitchen, via a DA. Allows you to watch recorded
things in the kitchen etc.

The kitchen TV is on its last legs and I'm thinking I may have to update
things to HDMI. It would need a cable of about 16 metres length. Is this
ok? There appear to be passive splitters for a few quid - are they any
good? Pukka DAs seem to range from about 20 -350 quid. ;-)

CPC have HDMI over Cat 5e/6 apaptors for £15.62 until 10th January

Stock code AV1997102

2 cables needed, but they claim 30m operation

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Dave Plowman (News)" writes:
At the moment I have a SCART cable running from the PVR in the sitting
room to the TV in the kitchen, via a DA. Allows you to watch recorded
things in the kitchen etc.

The kitchen TV is on its last legs and I'm thinking I may have to update
things to HDMI. It would need a cable of about 16 metres length. Is this
ok? There appear to be passive splitters for a few quid - are they any
good? Pukka DAs seem to range from about 20 -350 quid. ;-)

Last monitor I bought has what looks like an HDMI connector in the
picture if you don't look closely, but is actually a Display Port
connector, which won't quite mate with HDMI. Fortunately, it was
the DVI connection I mostly needed, although HDMI would have been
useful for a raspberry pi connection. (I only found this out about
a year after buying the monitor, when I tried to connect a raspberry
pi to it.)

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

At the moment I have a SCART cable running from the PVR in the sitting
room to the TV in the kitchen, via a DA. Allows you to watch recorded
things in the kitchen etc.

The kitchen TV is on its last legs and I'm thinking I may have to update
things to HDMI. It would need a cable of about 16 metres length. Is this
ok? There appear to be passive splitters for a few quid - are they any
good? Pukka DAs seem to range from about 20 -350 quid. ;-)

HDMI has various data rates according to the resolution.

I would suspect a piece of string would work at 576i, but when it comes
to 1080p I suspect many cables will fail over any distance.

The quality of HDMI cables is extremely variable.

Although not cheap, the Cat5e/Cat6 - HDMI extenders generally at least
quote a performance. At least Ethernet cables are made to a specification.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/HDMI-Extende.../dp/B00760ROUG

You just need the Cat5e/6 cable, connectors and a set of pliers!!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

At the moment I have a SCART cable running from the PVR in the sitting
room to the TV in the kitchen, via a DA. Allows you to watch recorded
things in the kitchen etc.

The kitchen TV is on its last legs and I'm thinking I may have to update
things to HDMI. It would need a cable of about 16 metres length. Is this
ok? There appear to be passive splitters for a few quid - are they any
good? Pukka DAs seem to range from about 20 -350 quid. ;-)

CPC have HDMI over Cat 5e/6 apaptors for £15.62 until 10th January

Stock code AV1997102

2 cables needed, but they claim 30m operation

That sounds like a good idea as I have plenty of Cat5 cable. Just hope
it's suitable. ;-)

Don't suppose you know if a passive splitter would be ok?

--
*Preserve wildlife - Go pickle a squirrel*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday 17 December 2013 12:44 Andrew Gabriel wrote in uk.d-i-y:

In article ,
"Dave Plowman (News)" writes:
[...]

You can get HDMI-DisplayPort adaptors very cheaply - my laptop needs one.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 17 Dec 2013 13:48:26 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Don't suppose you know if a passive splitter would be ok?

For the HDMI? I don't think so, it's a sort of client/server system
and the connected devices talk to each other to work out the best
they have in common. There are also control signals for things like
power down, volume etc.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 17 Dec 2013 13:48:26 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

wrote:

At the moment I have a SCART cable running from the PVR in the sitting
room to the TV in the kitchen, via a DA. Allows you to watch recorded
things in the kitchen etc.

The kitchen TV is on its last legs and I'm thinking I may have to update
things to HDMI. It would need a cable of about 16 metres length. Is this
ok? There appear to be passive splitters for a few quid - are they any
good? Pukka DAs seem to range from about 20 -350 quid. ;-)

CPC have HDMI over Cat 5e/6 apaptors for £15.62 until 10th January

Stock code AV1997102

2 cables needed, but they claim 30m operation

That sounds like a good idea as I have plenty of Cat5 cable. Just hope
it's suitable. ;-)

Don't suppose you know if a passive splitter would be ok?

No idea, all mine are just plain HDMI cables and I just had a recent CPC offer
leaflet close to hand.

A passive splitter might cause problems with HDCP (protected content) BICBW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , The Other Mike
wrote:
On Tue, 17 Dec 2013 13:48:26 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Yes I suppose so. Which makes you wonder why they are sold. I'll have to
lash out for an active one, then.

--
*Funny, I don't remember being absent minded.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article o.uk,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Tue, 17 Dec 2013 13:48:26 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Don't suppose you know if a passive splitter would be ok?

For the HDMI? I don't think so, it's a sort of client/server system
and the connected devices talk to each other to work out the best
they have in common. There are also control signals for things like
power down, volume etc.

There are certainly HDMI DAs around. Which must presumably remove some of
those functions?

--
*Husband and cat lost -- reward for cat

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 17 Dec 2013 18:19:39 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Don't suppose you know if a passive splitter would be ok?

For the HDMI? I don't think so, it's a sort of client/server

system
and the connected devices talk to each other to work out the best
they have in common. There are also control signals for things

like
power down, volume etc.

There are certainly HDMI DAs around. Which must presumably remove some
of those functions?

Donno, it's all a bit clever if you ask me. Mind you it seems pretty
well thought out as "clever" systems go and more or less just works
as one would expect. I don't know if the control side is a bus or
something more akin to an ethernet LAN.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" writes:
[...]

An HDMI to DVI converter costs pennies - HDMI is a superset of DVI, so
ignoring HDCP content and audio, HDMI and DVI are directly compatible
and simply need an adapter for the connectors. The only catch is whether
your monitor can sync with the HDMI signal - one of mine (NEC multisync)
does for my RPi, but the other (Sony) doesn't.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" writes:
[...]

Yes, the adaptors are really meant to work the other way around from
what I would need.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

At the moment I have a SCART cable running from the PVR in the sitting
room to the TV in the kitchen, via a DA. Allows you to watch recorded
things in the kitchen etc.

The kitchen TV is on its last legs and I'm thinking I may have to update
things to HDMI. It would need a cable of about 16 metres length. Is this
ok? There appear to be passive splitters for a few quid - are they any
good? Pukka DAs seem to range from about 20 -350 quid. ;-)

CPC have HDMI over Cat 5e/6 apaptors for £15.62 until 10th January

Stock code AV1997102

2 cables needed, but they claim 30m operation

I ordered these up with some other bits and they've arrived. Is it
possible to fit a plug to CAT5 cable - or will I have to use the more
normal outlets and ready made leads to go from the CAT5 to adaptor?

--
*If a mute swears, does his mother wash his hands with soap?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/12/2013 22:19, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

An HDMI to DVI converter costs pennies - HDMI is a superset of DVI, so
ignoring HDCP content and audio, HDMI and DVI are directly compatible
and simply need an adapter for the connectors. The only catch is whether
your monitor can sync with the HDMI signal - one of mine (NEC multisync)
does for my RPi, but the other (Sony) doesn't.

Yes, the adaptors are really meant to work the other way around from
what I would need.

HDMI to DVI cables work both ways.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I ordered these up with some other bits and they've arrived. Is it
possible to fit a plug to CAT5 cable - or will I have to use the more
normal outlets and ready made leads to go from the CAT5 to adaptor?

You can crimp plugs onto cat5 cable but you need different plugs for
stranded cable and solid cable.

You can't really use IDC sockets with stranded cable if you want
reliable connections.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 20 Dec 2013 11:24:13 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Is it possible to fit a plug to CAT5 cable ...

Yes but ...

Ideally you need the right plug for the cable. Ones for soild core
(installation) have an offset three pronged fork arrangement of the
insulation piercing contact. Ones for stranded (patch) are just a row
of aligned points. Inpractice on something that isn't going to
plugged/unplugged, waggled about, pushed and pulled it probably
doesn't matter that much.

Pushing each of the eight contact blades into the wires and latching
the cable grip might be tricky without the proper crimp tool.
Toolsatan have one for £8.14.

--
Cheers
Dave.