Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Max HDMI length.

On Tuesday 17 December 2013 12:44 Andrew Gabriel wrote in uk.d-i-y:

In article ,
"Dave Plowman (News)" writes:
At the moment I have a SCART cable running from the PVR in the sitting
room to the TV in the kitchen, via a DA. Allows you to watch recorded
things in the kitchen etc.

The kitchen TV is on its last legs and I'm thinking I may have to update
things to HDMI. It would need a cable of about 16 metres length. Is this
ok? There appear to be passive splitters for a few quid - are they any
good? Pukka DAs seem to range from about 20 -350 quid. ;-)

Last monitor I bought has what looks like an HDMI connector in the
picture if you don't look closely, but is actually a Display Port
connector, which won't quite mate with HDMI. Fortunately, it was
the DVI connection I mostly needed, although HDMI would have been
useful for a raspberry pi connection. (I only found this out about
a year after buying the monitor, when I tried to connect a raspberry
pi to it.)

You can get HDMI-DisplayPort adaptors very cheaply - my laptop needs one.