Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default HDMI problem on RP JVC

I have a JVC rear projection tv that I bought second hand a little over a
year ago. It works fine except for the HDMI input. When I plug it into my
cable box and switch to the digital input, it can't detect anything (and
says it's gonna turn off in 9 minutes if nothing is connected before then
). However, if I plug in my computer via a dvi/hdmi cable, the tv still
doesn't detect a connection, but the computer recognizes the tv for the
model number that it is. There is no setting in the tv that can affect the
input, from what I can find (and I went over all the menus multiple times).

Any ideas on what might be causing this? If it's an electrical problem, is
it worth my time to get an electronic technician to fix it?

Jordan
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article 7I8ik.1480$nu6.909@edtnps83,
jordo wrote:
I have a JVC rear projection tv that I bought second hand a little over
a year ago. It works fine except for the HDMI input. When I plug it
into my cable box and switch to the digital input, it can't detect
anything (and says it's gonna turn off in 9 minutes if nothing is
connected before then
). However, if I plug in my computer via a dvi/hdmi cable, the tv
:still
doesn't detect a connection, but the computer recognizes the tv for the
model number that it is. There is no setting in the tv that can affect
the input, from what I can find (and I went over all the menus multiple
times).

Any ideas on what might be causing this? If it's an electrical problem,
is it worth my time to get an electronic technician to fix it?

Dunno if it's any help, but my Sagem DLP detects any of the many inputs
coming alive and switches out of standby - except the digital one which in
this case is a DVI type.

--
*A day without sunshine is like... night.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

jordo wrote:
[...]

I've checked all of my inputs while the HDMI is plugged in, but it
doesn't show up anywhere. I was reading on some forums that the HDMI
can be disabled by various things and that it can be re-enabled by doing
a "system" check in the service menu (and it gives the steps to do
that). However, I cannot find the steps to get INTO the service menu!
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article HJiik.1560$%b7.1345@edtnps82,
jordo wrote:
I've checked all of my inputs while the HDMI is plugged in, but it
doesn't show up anywhere. I was reading on some forums that the HDMI
can be disabled by various things and that it can be re-enabled by doing
a "system" check in the service menu (and it gives the steps to do
that). However, I cannot find the steps to get INTO the service menu!

Wonder if it's tied in to a component input which could be either
component or RGB? My sat receiver is like that. Select RGB and you loose
the upscaling, etc.

--
*It is wrong to ever split an infinitive *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 00:00:03 GMT, jordo wrote:

I have a JVC rear projection tv that I bought second hand a little over a
year ago. It works fine except for the HDMI input. When I plug it into my
cable box and switch to the digital input, it can't detect anything (and
says it's gonna turn off in 9 minutes if nothing is connected before then
). However, if I plug in my computer via a dvi/hdmi cable, the tv still
doesn't detect a connection, but the computer recognizes the tv for the
model number that it is. There is no setting in the tv that can affect the
input, from what I can find (and I went over all the menus multiple times).

Any ideas on what might be causing this? If it's an electrical problem, is
it worth my time to get an electronic technician to fix it?

Jordan

Has the TV ever been serviced? I've heard that some Pioneer TVs are
booby trapped so that if the set it plugged in with the back cover
removed, it disables the HDMI input. They are worried that you might
be trying to steal Hollywood movies.
Andy Cuffe

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I said Pioneer, but I meant to say JVC. Both companies have made
booby trapped sets.
Andy Cuffe

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 00:00:03 +0000, jordo wrote:

I have a JVC rear projection tv that I bought second hand a little over a
year ago. It works fine except for the HDMI input. When I plug it into
my cable box and switch to the digital input, it can't detect anything
(and says it's gonna turn off in 9 minutes if nothing is connected before
then
). However, if I plug in my computer via a dvi/hdmi cable, the tv
still
doesn't detect a connection, but the computer recognizes the tv for the
model number that it is. There is no setting in the tv that can affect
the input, from what I can find (and I went over all the menus multiple
times).

Any ideas on what might be causing this? If it's an electrical problem,
is it worth my time to get an electronic technician to fix it?

Jordan

Does the output of the cable box match the resolution capabilities of the
tv? If the box is set to 1080p and the tv won't do over 1080i then it may
give you these symptoms. This is probably not the case but was worth
mentioning.

No stupid. If that was the case then the T.V. would say "Incompatible Input
Signal" or some **** like that.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

For whatever you are feeding to the HDMI port on your projection TV set,
make sure that its resolution setting is within the range of the set. If it
is out of range, the set will act as if there was no response.

I have also seen a failed HDMI port on some equipment react in a similar way
that you are describing. But, first investigate properly before coming to
any conclusions.

--

JANA
_____

"jordo" wrote in message
I have a JVC rear projection tv that I bought second hand a little over a
year ago. It works fine except for the HDMI input. When I plug it into my
cable box and switch to the digital input, it can't detect anything (and
says it's gonna turn off in 9 minutes if nothing is connected before then
). However, if I plug in my computer via a dvi/hdmi cable, the tv still
doesn't detect a connection, but the computer recognizes the tv for the
model number that it is. There is no setting in the tv that can affect the
input, from what I can find (and I went over all the menus multiple times).

Any ideas on what might be causing this? If it's an electrical problem, is
it worth my time to get an electronic technician to fix it?

Jordan

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 00:00:03 GMT, jordo put
finger to keyboard and composed:

I have a JVC rear projection tv that I bought second hand a little over a
year ago. It works fine except for the HDMI input. When I plug it into my
cable box and switch to the digital input, it can't detect anything (and
says it's gonna turn off in 9 minutes if nothing is connected before then
). However, if I plug in my computer via a dvi/hdmi cable, the tv still
doesn't detect a connection, but the computer recognizes the tv for the
model number that it is.

To recognise the TV, the computer only needs to be able to read the
TV's EDID EEPROM via the DDC pins in the cable (pins 6,7,14,15):

http://pinouts.ru/VideoCables/hdmi_d...e_pinout.shtml

I have managed to read a powered-down monitor's EDID EEPROM using my
device programmer. I made a VGA DB15-to-DIP8 adapter cable and told
the programmer that it was connected to an Atmel AT24C21 serial EEPROM
which has a "DDC1/ DDC2 Interface Compliant for Monitor
Identification".

You can find the EDID in the registry at the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Enum\MONITOR

If you export that key to a .reg file, you will see the EDID EEPROM
data. Analysing the EDID will tell you what scan rates the TV
supports. FWIW, if you post your EDID here, I may be able to analyse
the data for you.

BTW, if you want someone to help you, it would help them if you would
indicate the TV's model number.

- Franc Zabkar

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Franc Zabkar wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the info, Franc. I'll hook up the computer again to the tv
to get the registry info for you. The TV is a JVC AV8P575.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 00:55:44 GMT, jordo put
finger to keyboard and composed:

I'll hook up the computer again to the tv
to get the registry info for you. The TV is a JVC AV8P575.

Page 68 of the user manual ...

http://resources.jvc.com/Resources/0...5/YA091ien.pdf

.... states that ...

"The Digital-In [HDMI] terminal is not compatible with picture signals
of a personal computer."

I'd try a HDMI equipped DVD player.

In any case it still might be interesting to see what the EDID EEPROM
contains.

BTW, I believe your model is AV48P575, not AV8P575.

- Franc Zabkar
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Franc Zabkar wrote:
On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 00:55:44 GMT, jordo put
finger to keyboard and composed:

I'll hook up the computer again to the tv
to get the registry info for you. The TV is a JVC AV8P575.

Page 68 of the user manual ...

http://resources.jvc.com/Resources/0...5/YA091ien.pdf

... states that ...

"The Digital-In [HDMI] terminal is not compatible with picture signals
of a personal computer."

I'd try a HDMI equipped DVD player.

In any case it still might be interesting to see what the EDID EEPROM
contains.

BTW, I believe your model is AV48P575, not AV8P575.

- Franc Zabkar

Hi Franc,

Yes, my model is the 48" version. My keyboard is on the way out and
sometimes keys don't work..

I knew that it wasnt supposed to hook up via PC, but it was the only
other option I had. I have also tried to hook up my cable box, but no
success.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 11:29:13 +0000, jordo wrote:

Franc Zabkar wrote:
On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 00:55:44 GMT, jordo put finger
to keyboard and composed:

[...]

What "cable box" and what operating system on the "cable box" ?

More than likely a Scientific Atlanta running SARA you dumb sack of ****.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Franc Zabkar wrote:
[...]

Eastlink HD box. Model number Motorola DCT6416 III

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 00:55:44 GMT, jordo put
finger to keyboard and composed:

I'll hook up the computer again to the tv
to get the registry info for you.

By way of example, here are the EDIDs for my LG 32LC7D TV:
http://www.users.on.net/~fzabkar/EDID/

The phoenix.exe utility analyses the EDID .dat files. Switch off
read-only mode for a better view of the data.

Phoenix.exe sometimes hangs on my Win98SE box. I don't know if this
problem occurs in other Windows versions.

- Franc Zabkar
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 17:10:36 GMT, jordo wrote:

Meat Plow wrote:

Eastlink HD box. Model number Motorola DCT6416 III

It's possible that the cable company has HDMI disabled for some
reason. It's also possible there is a HDCP compatibility problem
between the cable box and the TV. Even in my own home, I've had
several situations where a particular HDMI source just wouldn't work
with a certain display. HDCP is well known for having bugs.
Andy Cuffe

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Meat Plow wrote:

Eastlink HD box. Model number Motorola DCT6416 III

It's possible that the cable company has HDMI disabled for some
reason. It's also possible there is a HDCP compatibility problem
between the cable box and the TV. Even in my own home, I've had
several situations where a particular HDMI source just wouldn't work
with a certain display. HDCP is well known for having bugs.
Andy Cuffe

When the technician first came to hook up the box, he attempted to hook
it up via HDMI and called back to the main place to make sure HDMI was
enabled on the box. When it wouldn't work, we just went with component
which worked right away...
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Franc Zabkar wrote:
[...]

Hi again Franc,

I don't have a registry key called Enum under HKLM...I'm using Vista,
btw...that probably would've helped, eh?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 23:29:55 GMT, jordo wrote:

Franc Zabkar wrote:
[...]

I hope you are aware that JVC booby-traped the DVI modue in this set to avoid
tampering. If you remove the back without taking precautions say bye to your digital
input. See: http://www.iwaynet.net/~nesda/Jan04/Jan0413.html

Steve

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Franc Zabkar wrote:
[...]

Yeah, I've read that. I haven't taken the back off, but I bought it
second-hand, so it could have been serviced in the past. However, there
is a way to reset the HDMI module from within the service menu (you do a
self-check, then turn off the tv from within the menu and unplug for 30
seconds, according to a few forums I've read). However, I don't know
how to get into this service menu.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Franc Zabkar wrote:
[...]

Thats not what I was told by JVC, but if you think it will fix it give it a try;

SERVICE MENU setting
a) Press [SLEEP TIMER] key and, while the indication of
SLEEP TIMER 0 MIN is being displayed, press
[DISPLAY] key and [VIDEO STATUS] key on the
remote control unit (Fig.2) simultaneously.
b) The SERVICE MENU screen of Fig.1 is displayed.
c) Verify what to set in the SERVICE MENU, and set
whatever is necessary

Be very careful NOT to change any settings if you don't want to create a
boat ancor.

Steve
Steve Tomaszewski N2PTJ
6 North Hill Dr
Ballston Lake, NY 12019
518-877-5528
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Franc Zabkar wrote:
[...]

A great idea just popped in my brain:

How's about you tell him what settings NOT to change if he doesn't want to
create a boat anchor.

Steve
Steve Tomaszewski N2PTJ
6 North Hill Dr
Ballston Lake, NY 12019
518-877-5528

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
[...]

Tell me what cable box outputs a 1080p signal, dim bulb? Nobody broadcasts
in 1080p, you can only get it from a Blu-Ray disc, stupid.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Franc Zabkar wrote:
[...]

A great idea just popped in my brain 2:

y don't u stop being such a big fat meanie that nobody likes so somebody can
like u u big fat meanie

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 11:29:13 GMT, jordo put

Franc Zabkar wrote:
[...]

Have you tried setting your PC's resolution to 640 x 480 and
experimenting with different refresh rates, eg 60Hz ???

Can you at least get into the "digital-in" option of your Initial
Setup menu? If so, then according to page 47 of your user manual, this
would confirm that your TV is receiving a HDMI 480p picture signal at
the Digital-In terminal.

- Franc Zabkar
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 23:29:55 GMT, jordo put
finger to keyboard and composed:

I don't have a registry key called Enum under HKLM...I'm using Vista,

I'd just search the registry for "EDID" or "monitor". The data have to
be there somewhere, unless Vista decodes the EDID, stores the
supported scan rates and resolutions, and then discards the raw data.

- Franc Zabkar
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 22:04:47 -0400, Steve nowhere.com put finger to
keyboard and composed:

Thats not what I was told by JVC, but if you think it will fix it give it a try;

SERVICE MENU setting
a) Press [SLEEP TIMER] key and, while the indication of
SLEEP TIMER 0 MIN is being displayed, press
[DISPLAY] key and [VIDEO STATUS] key on the
remote control unit (Fig.2) simultaneously.
b) The SERVICE MENU screen of Fig.1 is displayed.
c) Verify what to set in the SERVICE MENU, and set
whatever is necessary

Be very careful NOT to change any settings if you don't want to create a
boat ancor.

Steve
Steve Tomaszewski N2PTJ
6 North Hill Dr
Ballston Lake, NY 12019
518-877-5528

Do you have a circuit diagram of the HDCP/HDMI module?

- Franc Zabkar
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 20:42:20 -0700, Ashleigh Cope wrote:

A great idea just popped in my brain 2:

y don't u stop being such a big fat meanie that nobody likes so somebody
can like u u big fat meanie

Why are you replying to your Curtis Brown sock? Have you lost your mind or
just bored because nobody else replies except to slap you around?

BORING

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Franc Zabkar wrote:
[...]

The "Digital-In" option is greyed out, but the "digital-in audio" and
"center ch input" options are available...

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 13:01:01 -0700, Stacey Chuffo wrote:

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 20:42:20 -0700, Ashleigh Cope wrote:

A great idea just popped in my brain 2:

y don't u stop being such a big fat meanie that nobody likes so
somebody can like u u big fat meanie

Why are you replying to your Curtis Brown sock? Have you lost your mind
or just bored because nobody else replies except to slap you around?

BORING

You've got a real problem needing all these socks to talk to each other.
Of course I knew you were ****ing nuts when you bragged about your
gigantic 32" tv, your massive pool stick, a 10 dollar bottle of beer and
your copy of Windows Vista.

What the **** are you smoking? Show me where I bragged about my "gigantic
32" TV", or where I own a pool stick. I wouldn't spend 10 dollars on a
bottle of beer and I haven't bragged about Windows Vista, as a matter of
fact, I think it sucks.