Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Franc Zabkar Franc Zabkar is offline

Default HDMI problem on RP JVC

On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 00:00:03 GMT, jordo put
finger to keyboard and composed:

I have a JVC rear projection tv that I bought second hand a little over a
year ago. It works fine except for the HDMI input. When I plug it into my
cable box and switch to the digital input, it can't detect anything (and
says it's gonna turn off in 9 minutes if nothing is connected before then
). However, if I plug in my computer via a dvi/hdmi cable, the tv still
doesn't detect a connection, but the computer recognizes the tv for the
model number that it is.

To recognise the TV, the computer only needs to be able to read the
TV's EDID EEPROM via the DDC pins in the cable (pins 6,7,14,15):

http://pinouts.ru/VideoCables/hdmi_d...e_pinout.shtml

I have managed to read a powered-down monitor's EDID EEPROM using my
device programmer. I made a VGA DB15-to-DIP8 adapter cable and told
the programmer that it was connected to an Atmel AT24C21 serial EEPROM
which has a "DDC1/ DDC2 Interface Compliant for Monitor
Identification".

You can find the EDID in the registry at the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Enum\MONITOR

If you export that key to a .reg file, you will see the EDID EEPROM
data. Analysing the EDID will tell you what scan rates the TV
supports. FWIW, if you post your EDID here, I may be able to analyse
the data for you.

BTW, if you want someone to help you, it would help them if you would
indicate the TV's model number.

- Franc Zabkar