Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Sending video's

Took 3 x videos on my smart phone today, intending to send them to a
building owner.

They are 109, 110 & 131 MB and I can't send them because "The size of
the message you are trying to send exceeds the global size limit
(52000000 bytes) of the server. The message was not sent; reduce the
message size and try again".

How can I reduce the size? Or is there another way?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Took 3 x videos on my smart phone today, intending to send them to a
building owner.

They are 109, 110 & 131 MB and I can't send them because "The size of
the message you are trying to send exceeds the global size limit
(52000000 bytes) of the server. The message was not sent; reduce the
message size and try again".

How can I reduce the size? Or is there another way?

Do you mean you actually tried to email them? I try to avoid sending
emails of more than about half a megabyte.

Use one of the various large file sending services (quite a few are free
for limited use) or a cloud store and send a link.

E.g.

https://www.hightail.com/

Or

https://www.dropbox.com/

If you have not yet got an account with Dropbox (or similar), get one.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 16 Dec 2013 21:41:28 +0000, polygonum wrote:

Took 3 x videos on my smart phone today, intending to send them to a
building owner.

They are 109, 110 & 131 MB and I can't send them because "The size of
the message you are trying to send exceeds the global size limit
(52000000 bytes) of the server. The message was not sent; reduce the
message size and try again".

How can I reduce the size? Or is there another way?

Do you mean you actually tried to email them? I try to avoid sending
emails of more than about half a megabyte.

As a rough rule of thumb, any email under about 10Mb is very likely to
work just fine, anything over will probably fail.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/12/2013 22:59, Adrian wrote:
On Mon, 16 Dec 2013 21:41:28 +0000, polygonum wrote:

Took 3 x videos on my smart phone today, intending to send them to a
building owner.

They are 109, 110 & 131 MB and I can't send them because "The size of
the message you are trying to send exceeds the global size limit
(52000000 bytes) of the server. The message was not sent; reduce the
message size and try again".

How can I reduce the size? Or is there another way?

Do you mean you actually tried to email them? I try to avoid sending
emails of more than about half a megabyte.

As a rough rule of thumb, any email under about 10Mb is very likely to
work just fine, anything over will probably fail.

I see quite a few systems set up with limits at 2 or 5 MB - but the
reason I avoid doing so is more to do with the sizes of email storage
files (e.g. .pst or .ost for Outlook). They grew fast enough anyway so,
out of a sort of politeness, I try to avoid adding more than necessary -
both to my own Sent items and to recipients' stores.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 16 Dec 2013 21:32:11 +0000, The Medway Handyman
wrote:

Took 3 x videos on my smart phone today, intending to send them to a
building owner.

They are 109, 110 & 131 MB and I can't send them because "The size of
the message you are trying to send exceeds the global size limit
(52000000 bytes) of the server. The message was not sent; reduce the
message size and try again".

How can I reduce the size? Or is there another way?

For sharing vids, I either (as mentioned) put them up on Youtube or
use mediafire.com - upload them, make the folder private and send a
link to the intended viewer. 150MB limit per file on free accounts,
iirc.
Also, as mentioned, Handbrake is a fantastically user-friendly fit and
go program for reducing vid sizes but still watchable. Lots of presets
in it for hand-held devices, too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Took 3 x videos on my smart phone today, intending to send them to a
building owner.

If this is something you want to do go into the phone's camera
settings and change the 'recording mode' to 'limit for MMS'. (These
are the terms on Android, others will be similar.)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/12/2013 22:59, Adrian wrote:
On Mon, 16 Dec 2013 21:41:28 +0000, polygonum wrote:

Took 3 x videos on my smart phone today, intending to send them to a
building owner.

They are 109, 110 & 131 MB and I can't send them because "The size of
the message you are trying to send exceeds the global size limit
(52000000 bytes) of the server. The message was not sent; reduce the
message size and try again".

How can I reduce the size? Or is there another way?

Do you mean you actually tried to email them? I try to avoid sending
emails of more than about half a megabyte.

As a rough rule of thumb, any email under about 10Mb is very likely to
work just fine, anything over will probably fail.

My partner can't send 2Mb photos to some of the people on her mailing
list, because their systems reject them. I have to use PIXresizer to
reduce anything she wants to email.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Nightjar
writes
[...]

FWIW, this is what I use for photos:
http://www.rw-designer.com/picture-resize
Despite the heading "Free Batch Photo Resizer", you can just as easily
use it for individual photos.

I use it in the dead-easy drag & drop mode where you drag & drop (or
copy & paste) the filename(s) of the photo(s) you want to resize onto
the filename 'PhotoResizeXXXX.exe' - where you change the original '400'
to 'XXXX' to give you sensible size(s) (50 to 70kB is good for
general-purpose e-mailing). Regardless where you put the exe file, the
resulting new files are produced in the same folder as the source files,
and have the suffix XXXX. The originals are not affected.

I see that the latest version has several additional bells and whistles
you can use, but I prefer simply to do the simple resize, and thereafter
titivate the resulting pictures using one of many imaging programs.
--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Ian Jackson
writes

FWIW, this is what I use for photos:
http://www.rw-designer.com/picture-resize
Despite the heading "Free Batch Photo Resizer", you can just as easily
use it for individual photos.

I use it in the dead-easy drag & drop mode where you drag & drop (or
copy & paste) the filename(s) of the photo(s) you want to resize onto
the filename 'PhotoResizeXXXX.exe' - where you change the original '400'
to 'XXXX' to give you sensible size(s) (50 to 70kB is good for
general-purpose e-mailing). Regardless where you put the exe file, the
resulting new files are produced in the same folder as the source files,
and have the suffix XXXX. The originals are not affected.

I see that the latest version has several additional bells and whistles
you can use, but I prefer simply to do the simple resize, and thereafter
titivate the resulting pictures using one of many imaging programs.

Don't if your proggy does this but one of my go to features on Irfanview
is his set-longest-size-to setting in the batch conversion section so
that you can convert various resolutions in a folder to one size without
concerns of whether the are landscape or portrait.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , fred writes
In article , Ian Jackson
writes

[...]

It's quite some time since I used Irfanview (which is excellent). I
think that Picture Resizer (D&D mode) does indeed set the resolution of
the longest side. It's ages I read the instructions. My favourite
imaging program is FastStone Viewer.
--
Ian

Sending texts from a PC mark UK diy 22 November 20th 12 08:28 PM
sending video around house sm_jamieson UK diy 6 January 12th 11 01:31 PM
sending emails [email protected] Home Ownership 2 March 14th 09 03:31 PM
Sending stereo signals [email protected] Electronics 1 November 26th 05 11:10 AM
Sending 32KG underlay fred UK diy 0 March 8th 05 02:07 PM