Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default That's the Christmas Cracker sorted

Swapped the insides of the cracker from a cheap toy and crap joke for an
engagement ring and a piece of paper that says "will you marry me?".

10 days to go

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , ARW
writes
Swapped the insides of the cracker from a cheap toy and crap joke for
an engagement ring and a piece of paper that says "will you marry me?".

10 days to go

How are you going to make sure she pulls the correct cracker and then
gets the bigger half?

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , ARW
writes
Swapped the insides of the cracker from a cheap toy and crap joke for an
engagement ring and a piece of paper that says "will you marry me?".

10 days to go

I'm guessing you've also swapped the snap for the guts of 20 party
poppers. Right?
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
In message , ARW
writes
Swapped the insides of the cracker from a cheap toy and crap joke for an
engagement ring and a piece of paper that says "will you marry me?".

10 days to go

How are you going to make sure she pulls the correct cracker and then gets
the bigger half?

I shall offer her the "cracker" should she end up wirh the "smaller half"

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"ARW" wrote in message
"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
In message , ARW
writes
Swapped the insides of the cracker from a cheap toy and crap joke for an
engagement ring and a piece of paper that says "will you marry me?".

10 days to go

How are you going to make sure she pulls the correct cracker and then
gets the bigger half?

I shall offer her the "cracker" should she end up wirh the "smaller half"

a bit went missing from my post!

I shall offer her the "cracker" should she end up with the "smaller half"
then I shall give her the "larger half". All things been equal etc

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 15 Dec 2013 17:15:08 +0000, fred wrote:

In article , ARW
writes
Swapped the insides of the cracker from a cheap toy and crap joke for an
engagement ring and a piece of paper that says "will you marry me?".

10 days to go

I'm guessing you've also swapped the snap for the guts of 20 party
poppers. Right?

It's not just any party cracker,
It's a Marks & Semtex party cracker.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" wrote in message ...

"ARW" wrote in message
"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
In message , ARW
writes
Swapped the insides of the cracker from a cheap toy and crap joke for an
engagement ring and a piece of paper that says "will you marry me?".

10 days to go

How are you going to make sure she pulls the correct cracker and then
gets the bigger half?

I shall offer her the "cracker" should she end up wirh the "smaller half"

a bit went missing from my post!

I shall offer her the "cracker" should she end up with the "smaller half"
then I shall give her the "larger half". All things been equal etc

And what happens if your toothless unmarried Aunt gets the cracker

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 15 Dec 2013 17:51:27 +0000, Andrew Mawson wrote:

Swapped the insides of the cracker from a cheap toy and crap joke for
an engagement ring and a piece of paper that says "will you marry
me?".

And what happens if your toothless unmarried Aunt gets the cracker

A family tradition continues for another generation.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Swapped the insides of the cracker from a cheap toy and crap joke for an
engagement ring and a piece of paper that says "will you marry me?".

Maybe she doesn't want commitment?

Maybe she only wanted her fence fixed?

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

wrote in message
Swapped the insides of the cracker from a cheap toy and crap joke for an
engagement ring and a piece of paper that says "will you marry me?".

Maybe she doesn't want commitment?

Maybe she only wanted her fence fixed?

Maybe I love her.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/15/2013 05:38 PM, ARW wrote:

I shall offer her the "cracker" should she end up with the "smaller
half" then I shall give her the "larger half". All things been equal etc

I'm surprised that in true DIY tradition, you didn't reinforce one end
with sellotape or similar and make a series of perforations at the
other, thereby ensuring she gets the goodies.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" wrote in message
Swapped the insides of the cracker from a cheap toy and crap joke for an
engagement ring and a piece of paper that says "will you marry me?".

10 days to go

Don't do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" wrote in message ...

wrote in message
Swapped the insides of the cracker from a cheap toy and crap joke for an
engagement ring and a piece of paper that says "will you marry me?".

Maybe she doesn't want commitment?

Maybe she only wanted her fence fixed?

Maybe I love her.

....ah ... that's NICE

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" wrote:
wrote in message
Swapped the insides of the cracker from a cheap toy and crap joke for an
engagement ring and a piece of paper that says "will you marry me?".

Maybe she doesn't want commitment?

Maybe she only wanted her fence fixed?

Maybe I love her.

Awwwww.... ;-)

Looking forward to the updates.

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"bm" wrote:
"ARW" wrote in message
Swapped the insides of the cracker from a cheap toy and crap joke for an
engagement ring and a piece of paper that says "will you marry me?".

10 days to go

Don't do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do it!!! Been married 28 years. No regrets

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/12/2013 18:52, Tim+ wrote:
"bm" wrote:
"ARW" wrote in message
Swapped the insides of the cracker from a cheap toy and crap joke for an
engagement ring and a piece of paper that says "will you marry me?".

10 days to go

Don't do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do it!!! Been married 28 years. No regrets

Divorced 10 - even less regrets.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message

rnal-september.org, Tim+ writes
"ARW" wrote:
wrote in message
Swapped the insides of the cracker from a cheap toy and crap joke for an
engagement ring and a piece of paper that says "will you marry me?".

Maybe she doesn't want commitment?

Maybe she only wanted her fence fixed?

Maybe I love her.

Awwwww.... ;-)

Looking forward to the updates.

Tim

Can -i-y expect invites to the wedding?

--
Bill

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 15 Dec 2013 19:42:35 +0000, Fredxxx wrote:

Swapped the insides of the cracker from a cheap toy and crap joke for
an engagement ring and a piece of paper that says "will you marry
me?".

10 days to go

Don't do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do it!!! Been married 28 years. No regrets

Divorced 10 - even less regrets.

Been living with 'erself for 16yrs, unmarried. Zero regrets.

Would you be getting married for yourselves, or for other people? Do you
need a piece of paper to somehow prove the relationship?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

He has probably superglued it to a known end.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
In message , ARW
writes
Swapped the insides of the cracker from a cheap toy and crap joke for an
engagement ring and a piece of paper that says "will you marry me?".

10 days to go

How are you going to make sure she pulls the correct cracker and then gets
the bigger half?

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 15/12/2013 18:03, ARW wrote:

Maybe I love her.

Maybe? I think you should firm up on that before popping the question.

If she's discerning enough to say yes, just remember not to treat her
like your apprentices.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim+" wrote in message

"bm" wrote:
"ARW" wrote in message
Swapped the insides of the cracker from a cheap toy and crap joke for an
engagement ring and a piece of paper that says "will you marry me?".

10 days to go

Don't do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do it!!! Been married 28 years. No regrets

Tim

.... bah that's a one night fling! It's our 40th next Sunday

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Looking forward to the updates.

And the video!

--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/12/2013 5:04 PM, ARW wrote:
Swapped the insides of the cracker from a cheap toy and crap joke for an
engagement ring and a piece of paper that says "will you marry me?".

10 days to go

"I am" is the shortest English Sentence. "I do" gets you the longest.

--
Bob - Tetbury, Gloucestershire, UK

Two silk worms had a race. They ended up in a tie.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/12/2013 18:03, ARW wrote:
wrote in message
Swapped the insides of the cracker from a cheap toy and crap joke for an
engagement ring and a piece of paper that says "will you marry me?".

Maybe she doesn't want commitment?

Maybe she only wanted her fence fixed?

Maybe I love her.

It will be the end of you:

A man is not complete until he's married - then he's finished...

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Farmer Giles" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 15/12/2013 18:03, ARW wrote:
wrote in message
Swapped the insides of the cracker from a cheap toy and crap joke for
an
engagement ring and a piece of paper that says "will you marry me?".

Maybe she doesn't want commitment?

Maybe she only wanted her fence fixed?

Maybe I love her.

It will be the end of you:

A man is not complete until he's married - then he's finished...

I survived my first wedding.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/12/2013 18:03, ARW wrote:
wrote in message
Swapped the insides of the cracker from a cheap toy and crap joke
for an
engagement ring and a piece of paper that says "will you marry me?".

Maybe she doesn't want commitment?

Maybe she only wanted her fence fixed?

Maybe I love her.

It will be the end of you:

A man is not complete until he's married - then he's finished...

I survived my first wedding.

And I've been happily married for almost 40 years, so my little jest was
clearly not based on experience!

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Fredxxx" wrote in message
On 15/12/2013 18:52, Tim+ wrote:
"bm" wrote:
"ARW" wrote in message
Swapped the insides of the cracker from a cheap toy and crap joke for
an
engagement ring and a piece of paper that says "will you marry me?".

10 days to go

Don't do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do it!!! Been married 28 years. No regrets

Divorced 10 - even less regrets.

Once upon a time, a guy asked a beautiful girl 'Will you marry me?'
The girl said, 'NO!'
And the guy lived happily ever after and rode motorcycles and went fishing
and hunting and played golf a lot and drank beer and scotch.
He had tons of money in the bank and left the toilet seat up and farted
whenever he wanted.

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"GB" wrote in message
On 15/12/2013 18:03, ARW wrote:

Maybe I love her.

Maybe? I think you should firm up on that before popping the question.

She always makes me firm up

If she's discerning enough to say yes, just remember not to treat her like
your apprentices.

She will need some training

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 15/12/2013 22:31, ARW wrote:
"GB" wrote in message
On 15/12/2013 18:03, ARW wrote:

Maybe I love her.

Maybe? I think you should firm up on that before popping the question.

She always makes me firm up

As far as I am aware, that doesn't take much.

Anyway, good luck and congratulations. I hope it goes well.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/12/2013 20:08, Andrew Mawson wrote:
"Tim+" wrote in message

"bm" wrote:
"ARW" wrote in message
Swapped the insides of the cracker from a cheap toy and crap joke
for an
engagement ring and a piece of paper that says "will you marry me?".

10 days to go

Don't do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do it!!! Been married 28 years. No regrets

Tim

... bah that's a one night fling! It's our 40th next Sunday

If it is a competition it was our 55th in September.

--
Old Codger
e-mail use reply to field

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Streater wrote:
That is what getting married is for, at the most basic level. It could
also be viewed as a moment at which you say what you feel about the
other person, in front of all your friends and relations.

People can do that on Facebook now.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/12/2013 22:07, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Adrian
wrote:

On Sun, 15 Dec 2013 19:42:35 +0000, Fredxxx wrote:

Swapped the insides of the cracker from a cheap toy and crap joke

for
an engagement ring and a piece of paper that says "will you marry
me?".

10 days to go

Don't do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do it!!! Been married 28 years. No regrets

Divorced 10 - even less regrets.

Been living with 'erself for 16yrs, unmarried. Zero regrets.

Would you be getting married for yourselves, or for other people? Do
you need a piece of paper to somehow prove the relationship?

She needs the bit of paper as protection. If you live together and she
pays into the mortgage pot (but he owns the house), he can kick her out
and she gets *nothing*.

Conversely, if they live together and have kids, if she kicks *him*
out, he has no parental rights.

I have 3 nieces (all sisters, as it happened), who all got married once
they understood that there is no such thing as a "common-law spouse".
One went to the solicitor (with him) and they discussed back and forth
what sort of legal agreement would give him those rights. After a while
the lawyer said "I'm not trying to push you into it, but why not just
get married? It gives you all those rights you are trying to put into
an agreement". So they did.

That is what getting married is for, at the most basic level. It could
also be viewed as a moment at which you say what you feel about the
other person, in front of all your friends and relations.

I don't see anything there that would be an advantage for us and, if
other people don't know what we feel for each other after more than 40
years together, getting married won't make much difference.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Sun, 15 Dec 2013 19:42:35 +0000, Fredxxx wrote:

Swapped the insides of the cracker from a cheap toy and crap joke

for
an engagement ring and a piece of paper that says "will you marry
me?".

10 days to go

Don't do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do it!!! Been married 28 years. No regrets

Divorced 10 - even less regrets.

Been living with 'erself for 16yrs, unmarried. Zero regrets.

Would you be getting married for yourselves, or for other people? Do
you need a piece of paper to somehow prove the relationship?

She needs the bit of paper as protection. If you live together and she
pays into the mortgage pot (but he owns the house), he can kick her out
and she gets *nothing*.

I think that is not true, if she can show she contributes she gets a
share, married or not.

Conversely, if they live together and have kids, if she kicks *him*
out, he has no parental rights.

He can apply for rights, he may not get them.
The same as someone divorced.

I have 3 nieces (all sisters, as it happened), who all got married once
they understood that there is no such thing as a "common-law spouse".
One went to the solicitor (with him) and they discussed back and forth
what sort of legal agreement would give him those rights. After a while
the lawyer said "I'm not trying to push you into it, but why not just
get married? It gives you all those rights you are trying to put into
an agreement". So they did.

That is what getting married is for, at the most basic level. It could
also be viewed as a moment at which you say what you feel about the
other person, in front of all your friends and relations.

That's the legal contract, some would argue there are religious reasons.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 15 Dec 2013 22:07:44 +0000, Tim Streater wrote:

Been living with 'erself for 16yrs, unmarried. Zero regrets.

Would you be getting married for yourselves, or for other people? Do
you need a piece of paper to somehow prove the relationship?

She needs the bit of paper as protection. If you live together and she
pays into the mortgage pot (but he owns the house), he can kick her out
and she gets *nothing*.

So put the house in joint names.

That is what getting married is for, at the most basic level.

Preparation for the relationship falling apart? Umm, great.

It could also be viewed as a moment at which you say what you feel
about the other person, in front of all your friends and relations.

All our friends and family know exactly what we think of each other
already...

Anyway, how does that apply to marriages like those of some friends, who
had a grand total of three guests present, not including any of their
family?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 16 Dec 2013 07:58:31 +0000, dennis@home wrote:

Conversely, if they live together and have kids, if she kicks *him*
out, he has no parental rights.

He can apply for rights, he may not get them.
The same as someone divorced.

So long as his name's on the birth certificate as the father, he has
legal parental responsibility, regardless of marital status.

http://www.youandyourrights.co.uk/32.asp
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" wrote in message
Swapped the insides of the cracker from a cheap toy and crap joke for an
engagement ring and a piece of paper that says "will you marry me?".

10 days to go

--
Adam

Well congratulations.
(Assuming all goes as expected)
When/where's the **** up?
You haven't put her in the club have you?

After all the things you told me!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I find that if you dig your thumbnail in tightly on your side whilst
pulling, invariably the other person gets the present.

Good Luck, Hope the proposal is accepted.

"Bob Henson" wrote in message
On 15/12/2013 5:04 PM, ARW wrote:
Swapped the insides of the cracker from a cheap toy and crap joke for an
engagement ring and a piece of paper that says "will you marry me?".

10 days to go

"I am" is the shortest English Sentence. "I do" gets you the longest.

--
Bob - Tetbury, Gloucestershire, UK

Two silk worms had a race. They ended up in a tie.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 15 Dec 2013 18:03:02 -0000, "ARW"
wrote:

Maybe she only wanted her fence fixed?

Maybe I love her.

I suppose it had to happen sometime.
In the long run, it's not cheaper than coke and hookers, though.

That really is Christmas sorted ARW UK diy 1 December 1st 13 09:36 PM
Nut Cracker [email protected] Woodworking 7 November 25th 12 06:20 AM
cracker house M O Woodturning 16 November 23rd 05 02:09 PM
cracker house M O Woodworking 2 October 21st 05 02:18 AM
nut cracker [email protected] Metalworking 3 October 17th 05 12:53 AM