Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default That's the Christmas Cracker sorted

On Sun, 15 Dec 2013 21:51:43 -0000, "bm" wrote:

Once upon a time, a guy asked a beautiful girl 'Will you marry me?'
The girl said, 'NO!'
And the guy lived happily ever after and rode motorcycles and went fishing
and hunting and played golf a lot and drank beer and scotch.
He had tons of money in the bank and left the toilet seat up and farted
whenever he wanted.

This.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 15 Dec 2013 22:07:44 +0000, Tim Streater wrote:

One went to the solicitor (with him) and they discussed back and forth
what sort of legal agreement would give him those rights. After a while
the lawyer said "I'm not trying to push you into it, but why not just
get married? It gives you all those rights you are trying to put into
an agreement". So they did.

That is what getting married is for, at the most basic level.

Pretty much so IMHO, a bit of paper that provides legal defaults that
can be advantageous to both parties. Anything from who gets what
should the marriage break up to who gets what should one or both die
intestate. Then there are the tax avoidance things one can play with
whilst together.

It could also be viewed as a moment at which you say what you feel about
the other person, in front of all your friends and relations.

Can't see what that has to do with it at all, should be pretty
obvious. Religion? Spotted on one of those funny sign sites the other
day "Your beliefs don't make you a better person, your behaviour
does". Though that is very open to interpretation.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote:

"Farmer Giles" wrote

On 15/12/2013 18:03, ARW wrote:

Swapped the insides of the cracker from a cheap toy and crap joke for
an engagement ring and a piece of paper that says "will you marry me?".

A man is not complete until he's married - then he's finished...

I survived my first wedding.

So, this episode is a triumph of hope over experience....;-)

--
Terry Fields

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 15 Dec 2013 17:26:15 -0000, "ARW"
wrote:

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
.. .
In message , ARW
writes
Swapped the insides of the cracker from a cheap toy and crap joke for an
engagement ring and a piece of paper that says "will you marry me?".

10 days to go

How are you going to make sure she pulls the correct cracker and then gets
the bigger half?

I shall offer her the "cracker" should she end up wirh the "smaller half"

Tie a label with string to the ring and put that through the end you
hand her. It'll also stop the ring pinging around the room when the
cracker opens.

:-)
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 15 Dec 2013 18:03:02 -0000, "ARW"
wrote:

wrote in message
Swapped the insides of the cracker from a cheap toy and crap joke for an
engagement ring and a piece of paper that says "will you marry me?".

Maybe she doesn't want commitment?

Maybe she only wanted her fence fixed?

Maybe I love her.

Maybe?
LOL you better be sure!
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 15 Dec 2013 20:28:27 -0000, Sam Plusnet wrote:

... bah that's a one night fling! It's our 40th next Sunday

BTDTGT.

Ruby anniversary... have you bought her any?

And why is the present-giving a one-way process?

My husband has ensured this isn't the case by us getting married on
his birthday. It's our six monthaversairy today!
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 16 Dec 2013 08:41:08 +0000 (UTC), Adrian wrote:

So long as his name's on the birth certificate as the father, he has
legal parental responsibility, regardless of marital status.

http://www.youandyourrights.co.uk/32.asp

Read your own link. Father only has Parental Rights if:

* You are married to the baby's mother

* Your baby was born after December 1st 2003 and you are named as his
or
her father on the birth certificate.

My youngest was born before 2003 but I am named as the father on
their birth certificates. The second point above uses "and" not "or"
so that means I have no Parental Rights.

Further on it wibbles about getting the fathers name added to birth
certificates by re-regestering the birth but doesn't mention anything
about what to do if the birth was before 2003 and the father is named
on the birth certificate.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/12/2013 22:31, ARW wrote:
"GB" wrote in message
On 15/12/2013 18:03, ARW wrote:

Maybe I love her.

Maybe? I think you should firm up on that before popping the question.

She always makes me firm up

Ah, but can she cook?
--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I don't see anything there that would be an advantage for us and, if
other people don't know what we feel for each other after more than 40
years together, getting married won't make much difference.

I agree violently - if your pension arrangements don't need marriage.

Sadly a lot of us are in schemes which don't even have discretion to pay
pensions to an unmarried survivor of a couple, even if they have a very
long history of financial interdependence. And the heterophobic
restriction of civil partnerships to same sex couples didn't help.
--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 16 Dec 2013 09:41:15 +0000, Dave Liquorice wrote:

So long as his name's on the birth certificate as the father, he has
legal parental responsibility, regardless of marital status.

http://www.youandyourrights.co.uk/32.asp

Read your own link. Father only has Parental Rights if:

* You are married to the baby's mother

* Your baby was born after December 1st 2003 and you are named as his or
her father on the birth certificate.

My youngest was born before 2003 but I am named as the father on their
birth certificates. The second point above uses "and" not "or" so that
means I have no Parental Responsibility

You're right - for older kids, it doesn't apply. But for any kids born
since 2003, it does. And, given the context...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/12/2013 09:35, mogga wrote:
On Sun, 15 Dec 2013 17:26:15 -0000, "ARW"
wrote:

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
In message , ARW
writes
Swapped the insides of the cracker from a cheap toy and crap joke for an
engagement ring and a piece of paper that says "will you marry me?".

10 days to go

How are you going to make sure she pulls the correct cracker and then gets
the bigger half?

I shall offer her the "cracker" should she end up wirh the "smaller half"

Tie a label with string to the ring and put that through the end you
hand her. It'll also stop the ring pinging around the room when the
cracker opens.

:-)

I find this idea of buying a ring then offering it when asking somewhat
odd. When I got engaged, many decades ago, we went out to choose a ring
after she said yes. It meant that she got a design she liked and that
the ring was the right size.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Further on it wibbles about getting the fathers name added to birth
certificates by re-regestering the birth but doesn't mention anything
about what to do if the birth was before 2003 and the father is named
on the birth certificate.

You are of course right. And as is often the case, one of the better
sources for law are the Government's site as, even these days, many
civil servants try to cover all the angles on basic stuff (where there's
no need to be economical with the truth).
https://www.gov.uk/parental-rights-r...responsibility
has:

"An unmarried father can only get legal responsibility for his child in
1 of 3 ways:

a.. jointly registering the birth of the child with the mother (from 1
December 2003)
b.. getting a parental responsibility agreement with the mother
c.. getting a parental responsibility order from a court"

--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 16 Dec 2013 09:49:02 +0000, Nightjar
wrote:

:-)

I find this idea of buying a ring then offering it when asking somewhat
odd. When I got engaged, many decades ago, we went out to choose a ring
after she said yes. It meant that she got a design she liked and that
the ring was the right size.

Colin Bignell

I can sort of see the point in that if no opinion or ring size is
known.
I like the look of princess cut diamonds so that was an easy one.
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 16 Dec 2013 09:43:59 -0000, Robin wrote:

I don't see anything there that would be an advantage for us and,

if
other people don't know what we feel for each other after more

than 40
years together, getting married won't make much difference.

I agree violently - if your pension arrangements don't need marriage.

Sadly a lot of us are in schemes which don't even have discretion to pay
pensions to an unmarried survivor of a couple, even if they have a very
long history of financial interdependence.

Happily the schemes I am in will pay my partner as a named benificery
should I pop off be fore she does.

And the heterophobic restriction of civil partnerships to same sex
couples didn't help.

I guess the anti-heterophobic argument is that diffent sex couples
can get married... Presumablly there are some differences between
"marriage" and "civil partnership" other than anything based on sex
or belief system. If there isn't why bother with civil partnerships?
Everyone can get "married".

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 16 Dec 2013 09:47:30 +0000 (UTC), Adrian wrote:

So long as his name's on the birth certificate as the father, he

has
legal parental responsibility, regardless of marital status.

My youngest was born before 2003 but I am named as the father on

their
birth certificates. The second point above uses "and" not "or" so

that
means I have no Parental Responsibility

You're right - for older kids, it doesn't apply. But for any kids born
since 2003, it does. And, given the context...

Just clarifying the orginal sweeping statement that simply being
named on the childs birth certificate is enough for a father to have
parental rights.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

You're right - for older kids, it doesn't apply. But for any kids born
since 2003, it does. And, given the context...

the point is still relevant since any unmarried mother can register a
birth without giving the name of the father. See eg
https://www.gov.uk/register-birth/wh...gister-a-birth
--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Nightjar
writes
On 16/12/2013 09:35, mogga wrote:
On Sun, 15 Dec 2013 17:26:15 -0000, "ARW"
wrote:

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
In message , ARW
writes
Swapped the insides of the cracker from a cheap toy and crap joke for an
engagement ring and a piece of paper that says "will you marry me?".

10 days to go

How are you going to make sure she pulls the correct cracker and then gets
the bigger half?

I shall offer her the "cracker" should she end up wirh the "smaller half"

Tie a label with string to the ring and put that through the end you
hand her. It'll also stop the ring pinging around the room when the
cracker opens.

:-)

I find this idea of buying a ring then offering it when asking somewhat
odd. When I got engaged, many decades ago, we went out to choose a ring
after she said yes. It meant that she got a design she liked and that
the ring was the right size.

My wife bought bought the ring and gave it to me to give to her :-)
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/12/2013 09:43, Robin wrote:
I don't see anything there that would be an advantage for us and, if
other people don't know what we feel for each other after more than 40
years together, getting married won't make much difference.

I agree violently - if your pension arrangements don't need marriage.

We have always been financially independent. However, had it been
important, most of my pension comes from a small, self managed pension
scheme, which could have been set up with both of us as beneficiaries.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I find this idea of buying a ring then offering it when asking somewhat
odd. When I got engaged, many decades ago, we went out to choose a ring
after she said yes. It meant that she got a design she liked and that
the ring was the right size.

I can sort of see the point in that if no opinion or ring size is
known.
I like the look of princess cut diamonds so that was an easy one.

Had it been left to me, I would probably have gone for a brilliant cut
solitaire, but would have looked for an unusual design of ring. My
fiancée chose a seven stone cluster, six oval cut like petals around a
central brilliant cut, on a very simple gold ring.

With my current partner, I can buy jewellery, perfume or clothes and
know exactly what she will like, but that has taken 40 years of
practice. Shoes and handbags I have yet to fathom.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"chris French" wrote in message
In message , Nightjar
writes
On 16/12/2013 09:35, mogga wrote:
On Sun, 15 Dec 2013 17:26:15 -0000, "ARW"
wrote:

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
In message , ARW
writes
[...]

And will she be opening your Christmas presents for you?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Bill" wrote in message
In message

rnal-september.org, Tim+ writes
"ARW" wrote:
wrote in message
Swapped the insides of the cracker from a cheap toy and crap joke for
an
engagement ring and a piece of paper that says "will you marry me?".

Maybe she doesn't want commitment?

Maybe she only wanted her fence fixed?

Maybe I love her.

Awwwww.... ;-)

Looking forward to the updates.

Tim

Can -i-y expect invites to the wedding?

--

She has to say yes first!

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"GB" wrote in message
On 15/12/2013 22:31, ARW wrote:
"GB" wrote in message
On 15/12/2013 18:03, ARW wrote:

Maybe I love her.

Maybe? I think you should firm up on that before popping the question.

She always makes me firm up

As far as I am aware, that doesn't take much.

Anyway, good luck and congratulations. I hope it goes well.

Ta.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"mogga" wrote in message
On Sun, 15 Dec 2013 17:26:15 -0000, "ARW"
wrote:

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
. ..
In message , ARW
writes
Swapped the insides of the cracker from a cheap toy and crap joke for an
engagement ring and a piece of paper that says "will you marry me?".

10 days to go

How are you going to make sure she pulls the correct cracker and then
gets
the bigger half?

I shall offer her the "cracker" should she end up wirh the "smaller half"

Tie a label with string to the ring and put that through the end you
hand her. It'll also stop the ring pinging around the room when the
cracker opens.

:-)

Nice idea.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , ARW
writes
"Bill" wrote in message
In message
te
"ARW" wrote:
wrote in message
Swapped the insides of the cracker from a cheap toy and crap joke
for an
engagement ring and a piece of paper that says "will you marry me?".

Maybe she doesn't want commitment?

Maybe she only wanted her fence fixed?

Maybe I love her.

Awwwww.... ;-)

Looking forward to the updates.

Tim

Can -i-y expect invites to the wedding?

--

She has to say yes first!

A mere formality I'm sure. :-)

--
Bill

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 16/12/2013 09:49, Nightjar wrote:

I find this idea of buying a ring then offering it when asking somewhat
odd. When I got engaged, many decades ago, we went out to choose a ring
after she said yes. It meant that she got a design she liked and that
the ring was the right size.

Precisely what we did. It's a nice ring.

We also bought his and hers wedding rings. I don't like rings, so I've
no idea what happened to mine. I wore it for a while, though.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Bill" wrote in message
Can -i-y expect invites to the wedding?

--

She has to say yes first!

A mere formality I'm sure. :-)

Let's just say all the female office staff at work went into "girly mode"
when I told them. They think it will work.

I then had to listen to the married/divorced ones tell me about when "he"
proposed - the best proposal IMHO was in the middle of an argument and she
said to him "You do not care about me" and he then burst into tears pulled
out the engagement ring and said "But I have bought you this" knelt down and
asked her if she would marry him. They are still together and have 2 kids.

One of the proposals was totally indecent and it's not often I am shocked.
They are divorced (that is NOT a surprise).

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 16 Dec 2013 19:22:53 +0000, ARW wrote:

One of the proposals was totally indecent and it's not often I am
shocked.

waits
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Adrian" wrote in message
On Mon, 16 Dec 2013 19:22:53 +0000, ARW wrote:

One of the proposals was totally indecent and it's not often I am
shocked.

waits

Her words - word for word

"He had just spunked all over my tits and then asked "are we going to get
married or what?"

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/12/2013 18:52, Tim+ wrote:
"bm" wrote:
"ARW" wrote in message
Swapped the insides of the cracker from a cheap toy and crap joke for an
engagement ring and a piece of paper that says "will you marry me?".

10 days to go

Don't do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do it!!! Been married 28 years. No regrets

Hah! Beginners! (Married '79, got accused of using hair dye a couple of
weeks back. I suppose we _were_ quite young!)

Good on yer mate.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 16 Dec 2013 21:43:57 +0000, Vir Campestris wrote:

On 15/12/2013 18:52, Tim+ wrote:
"bm" wrote:
"ARW" wrote in message
Swapped the insides of the cracker from a cheap toy and crap joke for
an engagement ring and a piece of paper that says "will you marry
me?".

10 days to go

Don't do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do it!!! Been married 28 years. No regrets

Hah! Beginners! (Married '79, got accused of using hair dye a couple of
weeks back. I suppose we _were_ quite young!)

We married in 79 and I went white not long afterwards (runs in the
family...!)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 16 Dec 2013 20:32:28 +0000, ARW wrote:

One of the proposals was totally indecent and it's not often I am
shocked.

waits

Her words - word for word

"He had just spunked all over my tits and then asked "are we going to
get married or what?"

chuckle And they say romance is dead...

Not exactly "shocking", though.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Adrian" wrote in message
On Mon, 16 Dec 2013 19:22:53 +0000, ARW wrote:

One of the proposals was totally indecent and it's not often I am
shocked.

waits

Her words - word for word

"He had just spunked all over my tits and then asked "are we going to get
married or what?"

Is he Australian?
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , ARW
o.uk scribeth thus
"Adrian" wrote in message
On Mon, 16 Dec 2013 19:22:53 +0000, ARW wrote:

One of the proposals was totally indecent and it's not often I am
shocked.

waits

Her words - word for word

"He had just spunked all over my tits and then asked "are we going to get
married or what?"

Best not if he wants to carry on doing that sort of thing;!...

--
I remain "Disgusted" and I don't live in Tunbridge Wells;(..

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Adrian" wrote in message
On Mon, 16 Dec 2013 20:32:28 +0000, ARW wrote:

One of the proposals was totally indecent and it's not often I am
shocked.

waits

Her words - word for word

"He had just spunked all over my tits and then asked "are we going to
get married or what?"

chuckle And they say romance is dead...

Not exactly "shocking", though.

It was coming from her

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 17 Dec 2013 17:50:19 +0000, ARW wrote:

One of the proposals was totally indecent and it's not often I am
shocked.

waits

Her words - word for word

"He had just spunked all over my tits and then asked "are we going to
get married or what?"

chuckle And they say romance is dead...

Not exactly "shocking", though.

It was coming from her.

It's always the ones you least expect...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" wrote:
wrote in message
Swapped the insides of the cracker from a cheap toy and crap joke
for an
engagement ring and a piece of paper that says "will you marry me?".

Maybe she doesn't want commitment?

Maybe she only wanted her fence fixed?

Maybe I love her.

Awwwww.... ;-)

Looking forward to the updates.

Tim

Can -i-y expect invites to the wedding?

--

She has to say yes first!

How could she refuse?

Wit, charm, sophistication, good looks......

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Adrian" wrote in message
On Sun, 15 Dec 2013 19:42:35 +0000, Fredxxx wrote:

Swapped the insides of the cracker from a cheap toy and crap joke for
an engagement ring and a piece of paper that says "will you marry
me?".

10 days to go

Don't do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do it!!! Been married 28 years. No regrets

Divorced 10 - even less regrets.

Been living with 'erself for 16yrs, unmarried. Zero regrets.

Would you be getting married for yourselves, or for other people? Do you
need a piece of paper to somehow prove the relationship?

My first wedding was a rush job to obtain a visa to let her stay in the UK.
Bloody love at first sight - and it really was love at first sight- met her
on the Saturday and moved in with her on the Wednesday - booked the wedding
a couple of weeks later- my fiancee at the time (ie the one I was engaged to
until the Saturday night) went ****ing ballistic.

This one, if it happens, is for me and her - she is "the girl next door but
one" in the most literal meaning.

--
Adam

That really is Christmas sorted ARW UK diy 1 December 1st 13 09:36 PM
Nut Cracker [email protected] Woodworking 7 November 25th 12 06:20 AM
cracker house M O Woodturning 16 November 23rd 05 02:09 PM
cracker house M O Woodworking 2 October 21st 05 02:18 AM
nut cracker [email protected] Metalworking 3 October 17th 05 12:53 AM