Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default underfloor heating for a kitched - withour removing the kitchen units?

John Rumm wrote:
On 19/12/2013 09:29, AL_n wrote:
Adrian wrote in news:l8q9lf$s34$1
@speranza.aioe.org:

Where all the energy that goes into the electric motor ultimately ends
up as?

Kinetic energy (transferred to the air)
Sound

Oh, and a bit of heat.

Yes - that expresses my understanding of it.

and all that kinetic energy and sound ends up as? ;-)

Pixie dust. ;-)

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Uncle Peter" wrote in news
You could just run narrow bore pipes from the central heating up and
down along the cupboard tops, creating a sort of radiator.

Yes - this exact idea had occurred to me! I may still do something like
that. When you say 'narrow bore' do you mean something less than 15mm? If
so, why is that better than 15mm? Is it a more efficient way of doing it
somehow?

TIA

Al
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 21 Dec 2013 13:34:14 -0000, AL_n wrote:

"Uncle Peter" wrote in news
You could just run narrow bore pipes from the central heating up and
down along the cupboard tops, creating a sort of radiator.

Yes - this exact idea had occurred to me! I may still do something like
that. When you say 'narrow bore' do you mean something less than 15mm? If
so, why is that better than 15mm? Is it a more efficient way of doing it
somehow?

Thinner pipes give more surface area to radiate.

--
Red meat isn't bad for you. Fuzzy blue-green meat is bad for you.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote in
o.uk:

Kinetic energy (transferred to the air)
Sound

Oh, and a bit of heat.

Yes - that expresses my understanding of it.

and all that kinetic energy and sound ends up as? ;-)

I see your point now - although it's electrically-produced heat which of
course is more expensive than gas-produced heat at present, and arguably
likely to remain so. More of a concern is perhaps the fact that the heaters
are on the floor (in my case a solid one). Would that not result in a lot
of the heat radiating into the floor, never to return?

Al
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/12/2013 13:39, AL_n wrote:
John Rumm wrote in
o.uk:

Kinetic energy (transferred to the air)
Sound

Oh, and a bit of heat.

Yes - that expresses my understanding of it.

and all that kinetic energy and sound ends up as? ;-)

I see your point now - although it's electrically-produced heat which of
course is more expensive than gas-produced heat at present, and arguably
likely to remain so. More of a concern is perhaps the fact that the heaters
are on the floor (in my case a solid one). Would that not result in a lot
of the heat radiating into the floor, never to return?

They blow it out the front like a fan heater - so most will rise...

--
Cheers,

John.