N. Thornton

Default Garden light rusted

Hi

Screws holding the glass cover are rusted as ----. If the screws are
drilled, the moment the bit goes thru it'll hit the glass. The fitting
is pressed sheet steel fwiw.

I assume its a bin job - are there any repair options?

Regards, NT

N. Thornton

"Chris Oates" none wrote in message ...
"N. Thornton" wrote in message
om...

Screws holding the glass cover are rusted as ----. If the screws are
drilled, the moment the bit goes thru it'll hit the glass. The fitting
is pressed sheet steel fwiw.

I assume its a bin job - are there any repair options?

Soak with Coke

Interesting, not heard that one. I'll try that, but once its soaked I
dont see how the screws can be removed, unless they get dissolved
somehow. When I say they're rusted as, I mean you cant tell what kind
of driver the head once was. Coke and snap them off? What does the
coke do, dissolve the rust?

Thanks, NT
The Natural Philosopher

N. Thornton wrote:

"Chris Oates" none wrote in message ...

"N. Thornton" wrote in message
.com...

Screws holding the glass cover are rusted as ----. If the screws are
drilled, the moment the bit goes thru it'll hit the glass. The fitting
is pressed sheet steel fwiw.

I assume its a bin job - are there any repair options?

Soak with Coke

Interesting, not heard that one. I'll try that, but once its soaked I
dont see how the screws can be removed, unless they get dissolved
somehow. When I say they're rusted as, I mean you cant tell what kind
of driver the head once was. Coke and snap them off? What does the
coke do, dissolve the rust?

Phosphoric acid I think - turns rust into phosphate.

Thanks, NT

Chris Hodges

N. Thornton wrote:

Hi

Screws holding the glass cover are rusted as ----. If the screws are
drilled, the moment the bit goes thru it'll hit the glass. The fitting
is pressed sheet steel fwiw.

I assume its a bin job - are there any repair options?

I take it you can't dremel/hacksaw a new slot? Otherwise safety goggles
and a drill press, and hope the screws fail before you hit the glass -
sometimes the last bit of swarf gets ripped off. Use a drill only
slightly larger than the shaft of the screw. I say drill press rather
than hand held because it might reduce vibrations/shock of going through
head. Or try a dremel.

--
Chris
-----

N. Thornton

Chris Hodges wrote in message ...
N. Thornton wrote:

Screws holding the glass cover are rusted as ----. If the screws are
drilled, the moment the bit goes thru it'll hit the glass. The fitting
is pressed sheet steel fwiw.

I assume its a bin job - are there any repair options?

I take it you can't dremel/hacksaw a new slot? Otherwise safety goggles
and a drill press, and hope the screws fail before you hit the glass -
sometimes the last bit of swarf gets ripped off. Use a drill only
slightly larger than the shaft of the screw. I say drill press rather
than hand held because it might reduce vibrations/shock of going through
head. Or try a dremel.

Hi.

I can buy a new one for £8, its not a special or anything. So if I
have to take it off the wall I'll just replace it. So really that
rules out a drill press.

Sawing a new slot: I can try it, or water pump pliers might work, its
just the thing's so badly rusted I'd be very surprised if any of them
unscrewed. But I shall try after I've coked it.

Then I'm thinking if I use a tiny drill bit to take bits out of the
remaining snapped off screw I might get one to come out. Got it, a
grinding point on the dremel. Once ones out I can get to the others
and snap them off. The screws are right on the glass, with no wiggle
room, so it'll be a close shave at best.

On this light it does need the screws to hold the glass, I cant use
wire ties or anything, so that then leaves me with the q of what to
replace them with. More steel screws doesnt seem like the smartset
idea. And I dont think scr do bags of assorted size stainless ones....

Thanks.

Regards, NT
Chris Hodges

N. Thornton wrote:
I can buy a new one for £8, its not a special or anything. So if I
have to take it off the wall I'll just replace it. So really that
rules out a drill press.

I'd agree with that.

Sawing a new slot: I can try it, or water pump pliers might work, its
just the thing's so badly rusted I'd be very surprised if any of them
unscrewed. But I shall try after I've coked it.

WD40 might be worth a go as well of course (post coke, pre twist)

Then I'm thinking if I use a tiny drill bit to take bits out of the
remaining snapped off screw I might get one to come out. Got it, a
grinding point on the dremel. Once ones out I can get to the others
and snap them off. The screws are right on the glass, with no wiggle
room, so it'll be a close shave at best.

Sounds interesting - for want of a better word. If you can recover 1 it
might be possible to match and certainly B+Q do ripoff bags of metric sizes.
--
Chris
-----

N. Thornton

N. Thornton wrote:

WD40 might be worth a go as well of course (post coke, pre twist)

good one. It'll be one funny tasting light fitting

remaining snapped off screw I might get one to come out. Got it, a

Sounds interesting - for want of a better word. If you can recover 1 it
might be possible to match and certainly B+Q do ripoff bags of metric sizes.

No hope, theyre way past that. even if i break an end bit off you cant
match a new screw to a blob of rust.

Least I figured I can drill new holes for new screws, so thats that
solved.

Thanks for your help, NT
Chris Hodges

N. Thornton wrote:

WD40 might be worth a go as well of course (post coke, pre twist)

good one. It'll be one funny tasting light fitting

The twist wasn't meant to be of lemon - I only realised after posting.
I'll have a screwdriver then.

--
Chris
-----

Changing a light bulb jay UK diy 11 October 18th 03 08:28 PM
Light Switch Advise Chris Spyrou UK diy 10 October 10th 03 06:02 PM
Pinched......... wanderer UK diy 8 September 12th 03 11:56 AM
anyone know how to diagnose a faulty Choke / Ballast in fluorescent light circuit nick UK diy 14 July 7th 03 02:01 PM