Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cooker hoods

Threats have been issued about finishing the annexe kitchen before
Christmas!

I am now in the market for a cooker hood that can be ducted/recirc.

Googling brought me to an Indesit H573LIX however the site does not
explain how one adapts from the large rectangular chimney to a
conventional tubular duct.

Has anyone experience of this?

Everyone and his dog seems to sell this model but I have been unable to
find it on the Indesit site or any detail other than a front view:-(
--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/11/2013 13:02, Tim Lamb wrote:
Threats have been issued about finishing the annexe kitchen before
Christmas!

I am now in the market for a cooker hood that can be ducted/recirc.

Googling brought me to an Indesit H573LIX however the site does not
explain how one adapts from the large rectangular chimney to a
conventional tubular duct.

Has anyone experience of this?

Everyone and his dog seems to sell this model but I have been unable to
find it on the Indesit site or any detail other than a front view:-(

I don't know about this particular one, but my impression is that the
large rectangular duct on most hoods is a dummy - which has a circular
flexible duct inside, ready for taking out through a wall or ceiling.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Tim Lamb
writes
Threats have been issued about finishing the annexe kitchen before
Christmas!

I am now in the market for a cooker hood that can be ducted/recirc.

Fight back and fabricate something rustic from fireproof cement panels
and visible, flexible aluminium ducting. Then, the other half will be
grateful for anything better you replace it with.

Also, think of the comedy value come Christmas time, visitors will be
invited on a tour and informed, "this is what I asked Tim for and THIS
is what he gave me!". It never does any harm to manage expectations ;-).

I know you said recirc but don't bother, you'd be better off just
punching a hole in a window/wall and sticking in a 30quid extractor and
forgetting the hood
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , fred writes
In article , Tim Lamb
writes
Threats have been issued about finishing the annexe kitchen before
Christmas!

I am now in the market for a cooker hood that can be ducted/recirc.

Fight back and fabricate something rustic from fireproof cement panels
and visible, flexible aluminium ducting. Then, the other half will be
grateful for anything better you replace it with.

Hmm.. The one in the main kitchen is integrated, gathers incredibly
sticky grease, is a pig to clean but otherwise works well. The new job
is along a partition wall so I hoped to disguise the duct inside a
cupboard. It could possibly go up and then out through the loft/soffit
but this is a raised tie ceiling so would need extending.

Also, think of the comedy value come Christmas time, visitors will be
invited on a tour and informed, "this is what I asked Tim for and THIS
is what he gave me!". It never does any harm to manage expectations ;-).

I'm already in trouble having failed the time expectation, why seek
more?

I know you said recirc but don't bother, you'd be better off just
punching a hole in a window/wall and sticking in a 30quid extractor and
forgetting the hood

Maybe. The feature is available for not much money. Nice to have the
option not to chuck that heat out the window.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
In message , fred writes
In article , Tim Lamb
writes
[...]

There is no point having a cooker hood if it doesn't chuck the moisture out.
Don't forget,you need to let air in to enable it to function.
I have a fan which blows air in when the hood is on.
And don't forget an extractor hood can draw combustion gases/smoke down any
chimneys any where in the house.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday 27 November 2013 17:54 harryagain wrote in uk.d-i-y:

There is no point having a cooker hood if it doesn't chuck the moisture
out.

I disagree - the fact that a decent hood will trap much of the grease is
worth it.

Don't forget,you need to let air in to enable it to function.
I have a fan which blows air in when the hood is on.
And don't forget an extractor hood can draw combustion gases/smoke down
any chimneys any where in the house.

Then your ventilation for rooms containing a fire is wrong.

There are complications vis-a-vis extractor fans in the same room as a non
balanced flue, but no way should an extractor in one room affect a flue in
another.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
On Wednesday 27 November 2013 17:54 harryagain wrote in uk.d-i-y:

There is no point having a cooker hood if it doesn't chuck the moisture
out.

I disagree - the fact that a decent hood will trap much of the grease is
worth it.

Don't forget,you need to let air in to enable it to function.
I have a fan which blows air in when the hood is on.
And don't forget an extractor hood can draw combustion gases/smoke down
any chimneys any where in the house.

Then your ventilation for rooms containing a fire is wrong.

There are complications vis-a-vis extractor fans in the same room as a non
balanced flue, but no way should an extractor in one room affect a flue in
another.

If an internal door is open why not?
If you create a depression within any house with any sort of fan, no chimney
is likely to function.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/11/2013 13:02, Tim Lamb wrote:
Threats have been issued about finishing the annexe kitchen before
Christmas!

I am now in the market for a cooker hood that can be ducted/recirc.

They seem much of a muchness to me: after all, they just suck air out.

What has made a difference is using a remote motor, which cuts down the
noise. Obviously, it does depend upon whether you have a convenient
place to site it. Our garage (ha, workshop!) is next to the kitchen, so
the ducting passes through that.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jon Connell wrote:

What has made a difference is using a remote motor, which cuts down the
noise. Obviously, it does depend upon whether you have a convenient
place to site it. Our garage (ha, workshop!) is next to the kitchen, so
the ducting passes through that.

Did you have to enclose it with a fire barrier?

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/11/2013 08:45, Chris J Dixon wrote:
Did you have to enclose it with a fire barrier?

Hmmm, good question. The motor came with an enclosure and wall mounting,
so I'll confess I didn't give that a thought!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Jon Connell
writes
On 27/11/2013 13:02, Tim Lamb wrote:
Threats have been issued about finishing the annexe kitchen before
Christmas!

I am now in the market for a cooker hood that can be ducted/recirc.

They seem much of a muchness to me: after all, they just suck air out.

What has made a difference is using a remote motor, which cuts down the
noise. Obviously, it does depend upon whether you have a convenient
place to site it. Our garage (ha, workshop!) is next to the kitchen, so
the ducting passes through that.

Yes.

The shower room has a remote fan assembly in the loft. Much quieter than
through the wall which faces a busy lane.

No one has yet explained how you adapt the rectangular chimney to
circular duct?

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/11/2013 09:02, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Jon Connell
writes
On 27/11/2013 13:02, Tim Lamb wrote:

No one has yet explained how you adapt the rectangular chimney to
circular duct?

Yes they have. Roger Mills told you.

If you download the manual from

http://www.indesitservice.co.uk/manual/?id=H573LIX

you will see that he is correct. Inside the large rectangular chimney is
a conventional tubular duct.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday 28 November 2013 08:29 Jon Connell wrote in uk.d-i-y:

On 27/11/2013 13:02, Tim Lamb wrote:
Threats have been issued about finishing the annexe kitchen before
Christmas!

I am now in the market for a cooker hood that can be ducted/recirc.

They seem much of a muchness to me: after all, they just suck air out.

Dishwashable stainless grease filters will be a must have on my next one.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/11/2013 09:57, Tim Watts wrote:
Dishwashable stainless grease filters will be a must have on my next one.

Ah, I hadn't realised that was an option. Or maybe I just chuck them in
the dishwasher regardless ;-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jon Connell wrote:

On 28/11/2013 08:45, Chris J Dixon wrote:
Did you have to enclose it with a fire barrier?

Hmmm, good question. The motor came with an enclosure and wall mounting,
so I'll confess I didn't give that a thought!

If I understand your description, you have drilled a hole through
the wall between your kitchen and garage.

Others may quote chapter and verse, but ISTM that you really need
to fit a suitable barrier enclosing both fan and ducting as it
passes through the garage, in order to restore the necessary
protection.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/11/2013 12:41, Chris J Dixon wrote:
If I understand your description, you have drilled a hole through
the wall between your kitchen and garage.

Correct.

Others may quote chapter and verse, but ISTM that you really need
to fit a suitable barrier enclosing both fan and ducting as it
passes through the garage, in order to restore the necessary
protection.

I'll look it up. Thanks for the warning.

Jon
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday 28 November 2013 13:41 Jon Connell wrote in uk.d-i-y:

On 28/11/2013 12:41, Chris J Dixon wrote:
If I understand your description, you have drilled a hole through
the wall between your kitchen and garage.

Correct.

Others may quote chapter and verse, but ISTM that you really need
to fit a suitable barrier enclosing both fan and ducting as it
passes through the garage, in order to restore the necessary
protection.

I'll look it up. Thanks for the warning.

Jon

Prolly something like this:

http://www.fireprotectiononline.co.uk/pipe-collar.html

http://www.fireprotectiononline.co.u...duct-wrap.html

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andy
writes
On 28/11/2013 09:02, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Jon Connell
writes
On 27/11/2013 13:02, Tim Lamb wrote:

No one has yet explained how you adapt the rectangular chimney to
circular duct?

Yes they have. Roger Mills told you.

If you download the manual from

http://www.indesitservice.co.uk/manual/?id=H573LIX

you will see that he is correct. Inside the large rectangular chimney
is a conventional tubular duct.

Ah! Now why couldn't I find it when I looked?

Thanks both.

Presumably you have to opt for re-circ or extract on a permanent basis.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Tim Watts
writes
On Thursday 28 November 2013 13:41 Jon Connell wrote in uk.d-i-y:

On 28/11/2013 12:41, Chris J Dixon wrote:
If I understand your description, you have drilled a hole through
the wall between your kitchen and garage.

Correct.

Others may quote chapter and verse, but ISTM that you really need
to fit a suitable barrier enclosing both fan and ducting as it
passes through the garage, in order to restore the necessary
protection.

I'll look it up. Thanks for the warning.

Jon

Prolly something like this:

http://www.fireprotectiononline.co.uk/pipe-collar.html

http://www.fireprotectiononline.co.u...duct-wrap.html

In this case I'd be more inclined to box the duct in with 2 layers of
12mm plasterboard, cheaper, less susceptible to damage and IMV more
likely to work in a real fire. Using a flexible aluminium duct will stop
a cooker fire passing to the garage space too.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/11/2013 14:50, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Andy
writes
On 28/11/2013 09:02, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Jon Connell
writes
On 27/11/2013 13:02, Tim Lamb wrote:

No one has yet explained how you adapt the rectangular chimney to
circular duct?

Yes they have. Roger Mills told you.

If you download the manual from

http://www.indesitservice.co.uk/manual/?id=H573LIX

you will see that he is correct. Inside the large rectangular chimney
is a conventional tubular duct.

Ah! Now why couldn't I find it when I looked?

Thanks both.

Presumably you have to opt for re-circ or extract on a permanent basis.

Yes you would, although you can convert from one to the other at a later
date.

To me an extractor should perform the following.

Trap the grease in the air, extract heat, extract steam and extract
cooking smells.

The re-circ method will do the first and, with charcoal filters
(optional on the Indesit), it will do the last (but not very well). It
won't do the other two.

I would strongly recommend going for the extract method.

We have an older model of one of these -
http://www.365electrical.com/F70.2SS...mney-Hood.html -
and it works a treat.

I would suggest that looking at the manual you might need to buy some
bits (the shopping trolley in some of the pictures on page 2 of the
manual) for it to be used in re-circ mode, but maybe it depends on where
you buy it from.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andy
writes

I would strongly recommend going for the extract method.

Yes. I was a bit optimistic thinking it might be easy to switch between
the two.

We have an older model of one of these -
http://www.365electrical.com/F70.2SS...mney-Hood.html -
and it works a treat.

Modestly priced as well. Mind junction 22 is a fair way North of he-)

I'll ask what the local outlets want.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday 28 November 2013 17:07 Andy wrote in uk.d-i-y:

The re-circ method will do the first and, with charcoal filters
(optional on the Indesit), it will do the last (but not very well). It
won't do the other two.

I would strongly recommend going for the extract method.

Grease is all I care about

Steam is slightly annoying but doesn't make eveything sticky and is easy to
deal with.

My cooking smells are nice (usually!).

[ot] cooker hoods Fred UK diy 15 May 9th 13 11:14 AM
cooker hoods sm_jamieson UK diy 27 December 30th 10 10:41 AM
Cooker Hoods mark UK diy 7 November 16th 08 03:21 PM
Advice on cooker hoods Gogs UK diy 13 August 3rd 06 12:35 PM
Cooker Hoods Me UK diy 3 August 25th 03 02:14 PM