Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cooker Hoods

What is the recommended minimum height above the hob for a cooker hood.

Thank you

mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

mark wrote:
What is the recommended minimum height above the hob for a cooker
hood.

Depands entirely on the make & model AFAIK. Don't know if there are any
specific regs.

I've seen them with instructions stating anywhere from 40cm to 80cm. 65cm
is the most common I've come across.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

mark wrote:

What is the recommended minimum height above the hob for a cooker
hood.
Thank you

mark

Dunno, but we've been looking in kitchen showrooms recently ('cos SWMBO
wants a new kitchen!) and many of the cooker hoods we've seen are quite low.
In many cases, if I bent over to look in a saucepan on the hob, I'd be in
danger of smashing my head on the cooker hood - some of which have sharp
corners.

Incidentally, some of the hoods don't actually have a horizontal surface
over the hob, but extend upwards from nothing at the bottom at an angle of
45 degrees of so. Anyone got one of these? Do they actually work? [They are
much more attractive from a 'prevention of injury' point of view - so we're
quite attracted to them as long as they work.]
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
om...
mark wrote:
What is the recommended minimum height above the hob for a cooker
hood.

Depands entirely on the make & model AFAIK. Don't know if there are any
specific regs.

I've seen them with instructions stating anywhere from 40cm to 80cm. 65cm
is the most common I've come across.

I was thinking that if you had a gas burner on full, without anything on top
it might melt the plastic bits of the hood if too close.

mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"BigWallop" wrote in message
om...

"mark" wrote in message

What is the recommended minimum height above the hob for a cooker hood.

Thank you

mark

They can be anywhere in between "not banging your head on it" and "plenty
room to bend over the hob to clean the back of the stove". Which is
normally 6 foot 6 inches from the floor. :-)

Yes. It is surprising how many tall women go for short guys.

Arthur

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Arthur2" wrote in message

"BigWallop" wrote in message
om...

"mark" wrote in message

What is the recommended minimum height above the hob for a cooker hood.

Thank you

mark

They can be anywhere in between "not banging your head on it" and

"plenty
room to bend over the hob to clean the back of the stove". Which is
normally 6 foot 6 inches from the floor. :-)

Yes. It is surprising how many tall women go for short guys.

Arthur

All the same when you're lying down. :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"mark" wrote in message

What is the recommended minimum height above the hob for a cooker hood.

Thank you

mark

I am afraid that is down to the manufacturer/installation instuctions of the
cooker hood to tell you. It varies between manufacturers and also if you
have a gas or electric hob.

Typical minimum distances are 650mm for electric hobs and 750mm for gas
hobs.

Adam

cooker filter hoods Sam UK diy 3 December 28th 07 07:45 PM
Advice on cooker hoods Gogs UK diy 13 August 3rd 06 12:35 PM
Cooker hoods - Educate me please? Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics) UK diy 7 March 3rd 06 09:46 AM
Fitting Cooker Hoods Kev Sargeson UK diy 1 January 22nd 06 11:21 AM
Cooker Hoods Me UK diy 3 August 25th 03 02:14 PM