Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Advice on cooker hoods

Does anyone have any recommendations for buying a stainless steel 600
wide chimney hood, like the curved glass ones.

So far seen one from Duvalli on ebay but not much people seem to have
heard of them then there is CDA and Lux Air.

Both CDA and Lux air has 5 year warranties, however with CDA it is only
5 year parts not labour.

Can anyone recommend one of these, I have also noticed Lux air do
splash backs in a certain shape to fit neatly with the curved glass
extractor, however they only seem to show the 900mm model which has a
bigger overhang I would imagine. Some 600mm models I have seen would
only require a standard slashback, can anyone advise on this.

Thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Oops is there an edit on here, also meant to say the Lux air seems to
say 'Please Note: Chimney Stack with vent must be used when
recirculation option is used'

I am not able to use ducting, so what does this mean exactly?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Oops is there an edit on here, also meant to say the Lux air seems to
say 'Please Note: Chimney Stack with vent must be used when
recirculation option is used'

I am not able to use ducting, so what does this mean exactly?

I'm guessing it is badly translated and actually meant

say 'Please Note: when Chimney Stack with vent is used,
recirculation option must be used'

i.e. meaning that if you can't have ducting, then all the hood will do is
blow moist greasy air around the room and turn itself rapidly into a health
hazard.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Christian McArdle wrote:
Oops is there an edit on here, also meant to say the Lux air seems to
say 'Please Note: Chimney Stack with vent must be used when
recirculation option is used'

I am not able to use ducting, so what does this mean exactly?

I'm guessing it is badly translated and actually meant

say 'Please Note: when Chimney Stack with vent is used,
recirculation option must be used'

i.e. meaning that if you can't have ducting, then all the hood will do is
blow moist greasy air around the room and turn itself rapidly into a health
hazard.

Christian.

That might be a problem, depending on height it needs to be positioned
above the burners, have seen various figures bandied around ranging
from 650 or 660 or 700, which one is it, its gas burners, and do you
measure from the actually top of the hob or from the worktop bearing in
mind there is about 50mm up for grabs either way, which is nothing
unless your in a low ceiling wimpey shed

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Owain wrote:
If you are not able to use ducting there is not much point in using a
cooker hood IMHO.

True - the recirculating type block their filters pretty quickly and
replacements aren't cheap.

--
*Sleep with a photographer and watch things develop

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I called a place who sell these hoods as I can see the problem, I might
be able to fit on the second section with the vent in it but its
debatable, not much room for error and I have found some info that says
they gas regs say 750mm above the hob, is this correct.

Anyway place I called said you can use the top section with the vent on
it on its own, is this correct info, anyone have experience of this.

A lot of these hoods are the same dimension wise, yeh plenty people
have them in these crap houses, so there is either a way round it or
they are placing them a lot lower than advised to?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Gogs wrote:
I called a place who sell these hoods as I can see the problem, I might
be able to fit on the second section with the vent in it but its
debatable, not much room for error and I have found some info that says
they gas regs say 750mm above the hob, is this correct.

Anyway place I called said you can use the top section with the vent on
it on its own, is this correct info, anyone have experience of this.

A lot of these hoods are the same dimension wise, yeh plenty people
have them in these crap houses, so there is either a way round it or
they are placing them a lot lower than advised to?

Anyone at all know much about this, please

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Gogs wrote:
Oops is there an edit on here, also meant to say the Lux air seems to
say 'Please Note: Chimney Stack with vent must be used when
recirculation option is used'

I am not able to use ducting, so what does this mean exactly?

Luxaflex are saying that you should use a chimney stack with vents
(i.e., holes covered by a grid) if you want to re-circulate the air.
You should use the charcoal filters if you do this - they are supposed
to remove the cooking smells.

Get the brochure, http://www.luxairhoods.com/downloads/brochure04.pdf,
and look at page 7. The diagrams of the chimneys have little black
rectangles on them. These are the vents.

Obviously, if you send the hood output to the outside world, you don't
want to have the fumes coming back into the kitchen, so in that case
you don't use a bit of chimney with a vent!

Hope this helps

Alex.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Get the brochure,
http://www.luxairhoods.com/downloads/brochure04.pdf,
and look at page 7. The diagrams of the chimneys have little black
rectangles on them. These are the vents.

Obviously, if you send the hood output to the outside world, you don't
want to have the fumes coming back into the kitchen, so in that case
you don't use a bit of chimney with a vent!

Hope this helps

Alex.

I understand what this means now, problem is that measurements dont
give you the size of the vent and position of it, ok its at the top but
when tight for space it becomes important.

I have heard you can just use the top (second section) on its own, have
contacted Lux air to see if they can calrify this but they dont seem to
be very clued up.....like me...but then I dont make a living from
selling these hoods

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 1 Aug 2006 03:20:45 -0700, "Gogs"

Get the brochure, http://www.luxairhoods.com/downloads/brochure04.pdf,
and look at page 7. The diagrams of the chimneys have little black
rectangles on them. These are the vents.

Obviously, if you send the hood output to the outside world, you don't
want to have the fumes coming back into the kitchen, so in that case
you don't use a bit of chimney with a vent!

Hope this helps

Alex.

I understand what this means now, problem is that measurements dont
give you the size of the vent and position of it, ok its at the top but
when tight for space it becomes important.

I have heard you can just use the top (second section) on its own, have
contacted Lux air to see if they can calrify this but they dont seem to
be very clued up.....like me...but then I dont make a living from
selling these hoods

You can cut down the chimney with tin snips. I havnt done mine yet but
the ducting is where it has to be and the purely decorative "chimney"
will have an opening cut at one side. I'll probably box in the duct
which will also hide any tin snip roughness.

The lux air ones are all re badged elicias as far as I can see so look
at this site:
http://www.elica.co.uk/

elicia probably make the other models you mentioned too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

marvelus wrote:
[snip]
The lux air ones are all re badged elicias as far as I can see so look
at this site:
http://www.elica.co.uk/

elicia probably make the other models you mentioned too.

Well, they make all these: http://www.elica.it/pdf/Coll_it.pdf
and they don't look much like the Lux Air hoods.

That doesn't mean elica don't make the Lux Air hoods - they just don't
look re-badged...

rgds
Alex.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Gogs wrote:
[snip] I understand what this means now, problem is that measurements
dont
give you the size of the vent and position of it, ok its at the top but
when tight for space it becomes important.

I have heard you can just use the top (second section) on its own, have
contacted Lux air to see if they can calrify this but they dont seem to
be very clued up.....like me...but then I dont make a living from
selling these hoods

You can get a look at the measurements by browsing through the products
till you find one you like (e.g.,
http://www.luxairhoods.com/index.pl?c=SSHOODSTAND)

then click on the Sizes and Dimensions link at the left, and a picture
with sizes in mm will pop up.
It does look as if the two sections for the chimney are 395 mm long,
whether or not there is a vent in the section...

rgds.
Alex (also looking for a new hood...)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Gogs wrote:
[snip]
Can anyone recommend one of these, I have also noticed Lux air do
splash backs in a certain shape to fit neatly with the curved glass
extractor, however they only seem to show the 900mm model which has a
bigger overhang I would imagine. Some 600mm models I have seen would
only require a standard slashback, can anyone advise on this.

Thanks

Lux air splash backs come in 600mm to 1100mm sizes - see
http://www.luxairhoods.com/index.pl?c=MISCSPLASHCURVED

note they are 750mm tall, wheras elsewhere on the site is says a
minimum of 650mm for the hood above the cooker.

rgds
Alex

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2 Aug 2006 05:57:48 -0700, wrote:

marvelus wrote:
On 1 Aug 2006 03:20:45 -0700, "Gogs"
wrote:

[snip]

You can cut down the chimney with tin snips. I havnt done mine yet but
the ducting is where it has to be and the purely decorative "chimney"
will have an opening cut at one side. I'll probably box in the duct
which will also hide any tin snip roughness.

The lux air ones are all re badged elicias as far as I can see so look
at this site:
http://www.elica.co.uk/

elicia probably make the other models you mentioned too.

Interesting that Elica are based in Fabriano - the same place as the
producers of the Lux Air technical manual!

But the models do look differnt I agree, its just the grease filters
look the same as on mine.

This manual http://www.luxairhoods.com/downloads/LA-60-70-90-OC.pdf
shows that there is a fair amount of adjustment available in the height
of the chimney.

NB - The Lux Air web site points out that if the kitchern has a boiler
with a balanced flue in it, the cooker hood should also have a balanced
flue (or be used for re-circulating only).

http://www.luxairhoods.com/pages/faq.htm
"If the room where a ducted cooker hood is to be installed also
contains a fossil fuel burning appliance such as a boiler, then its
flue must be of the room sealed or balanced flue type"

You could read that also as its the boiler that must have the balanced
flue. Although a balanced flue on an extractor could recover some of
the wasted heat, the Germans have got them no doubt.

I don't know the gas regulations well enough to know whether this is a
legal requirement or just good practice. Seems sensible to me - carbon
monoxide poisoning and all that.

rgds
Alex.