Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How much am I saving?

My nephew is currently living at my house. Every weekday morning he goes off
to work just before 8am and I take a quick look in his room and always I
have to unplug from the wall socket as yet again he has left everything on.
If I didn't check they would've stayed on until he got home around 4pm. So
here comes the list of electrical items left on; can you give me a rough
idea how much I'm saving by turning them off.

40" plasma tv (on standby)
BT Vision box
BT home hub router
Xbox 360
electric blanket.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 21 Nov 2013 15:10:14 +0000, Thumper wrote:

My nephew is currently living at my house. Every weekday morning he goes
off to work just before 8am and I take a quick look in his room and
always I have to unplug from the wall socket as yet again he has left
everything on. If I didn't check they would've stayed on until he got
home around 4pm. So here comes the list of electrical items left on; can
you give me a rough idea how much I'm saving by turning them off.

40" plasma tv (on standby)
BT Vision box
BT home hub router
Xbox 360
electric blanket.

At a rough guess, and assuming he's not actually leaving the electric
blanket on - because that WOULD be mind-bendingly stupid - then somewhere
in the region of bollock-all. A handful of pennies per day.

A quick google suggests the TV's probably about 1w in standby, the BT
vision box about 25w, the router about 9w (and powering it off will
prevent it optimising the broadband speed), and the XBox 2.5w in standby.

So, together, less than 40w. So 1kWh/day. Probably about 10-15p per day,
depending on your tariff.

Certainly nowhere near enough to warrant spending a tenner on an energy
monitor so that you can give him the riot act with any credibility.
Consider also the effect on the relationship between you, since you'd be
admitting to snooping around his room as soon as he's out in a morning...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/11/2013 15:10, Thumper wrote:
My nephew is currently living at my house. Every weekday morning he goes
off to work just before 8am and I take a quick look in his room and
always I have to unplug from the wall socket as yet again he has left
everything on. If I didn't check they would've stayed on until he got
home around 4pm. So here comes the list of electrical items left on; can
you give me a rough idea how much I'm saving by turning them off.

40" plasma tv (on standby)

3W

BT Vision box

With a purple LED (standby mode - able to make scheduled recordings)
about 12W

Red LED (power down state) 1W

BT home hub router

5W

Xbox 360

~2.5W

electric blanket.

0W (unless actually on)

So about 22.5W total. Over 8 hours, 180 Wh, or 1 kWh roughly every 5.5
days. So you are saving about 12p per week.

On the down side, you will balls up any scheduled recordings or
downloads that would have happened, and the frequent cycling of the home
hub may well result in the DSLAM adjusting the BRAS rate down due to
frequent disconnections - so the broadband speed may be lower than it
should.

Don't forget to factor in the wear on the socket that you keep
unplugging from, and you might even fracture a cable if you move them
often enough. (you would be better off just switching off the socket switch)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Thumper
writes
My nephew is currently living at my house. Every weekday morning he
goes off to work just before 8am and I take a quick look in his room
and always I have to unplug from the wall socket as yet again he has
left everything on.

Plugged in, does not mean on, and despite what the media , some eco
pressure group etc. would have us believe. Most modern kit uses very
little power on standby.

If I didn't check they would've stayed on until he got home around
4pm. So here comes the list of electrical items left on; can you give
me a rough idea how much I'm saving by turning them off.

40" plasma tv (on standby)
BT Vision box
BT home hub router
Xbox 360
electric blanket.

As other shave pointed out, not a lot.

Do you really want to be seen as the grumpy/arsey/nosey uncle for a few
pence?
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 21 Nov 2013 15:10:14 +0000, Thumper wrote:

My nephew is currently living at my house. Every weekday morning he goes
off to work just before 8am and I take a quick look in his room and
always I have to unplug from the wall socket as yet again he has left
everything on. If I didn't check they would've stayed on until he got
home around 4pm. So here comes the list of electrical items left on; can
you give me a rough idea how much I'm saving by turning them off.

A good forty or fifty pee a week I reckon. Well done.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/11/2013 15:22, Adrian wrote:
[...]

It is possibly worth measuring the TV or looking it up in its manual.

Some older ones have lousy standby characteristics in the 20-30W region
as they power the digital decoder continuously and very inefficiently.
It may be possible to tell it not to do this but the original defaults
on many older sets was to run the decoder so that the TVs SCART output
could be used by old recorders that only had analogue TV decoders.

Certainly nowhere near enough to warrant spending a tenner on an energy
monitor so that you can give him the riot act with any credibility.
Consider also the effect on the relationship between you, since you'd be
admitting to snooping around his room as soon as he's out in a morning...

It might be worth encouraging him to have a smart extension block that
powers down all other peripherals when they are not in use. Even at just
10p/day it pays for itself in about 8 months. YMMV

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

;-)

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Adrian" wrote in message
On Thu, 21 Nov 2013 15:10:14 +0000, Thumper wrote:

My nephew is currently living at my house. Every weekday morning he goes
off to work just before 8am and I take a quick look in his room and
always I have to unplug from the wall socket as yet again he has left
everything on. If I didn't check they would've stayed on until he got
home around 4pm. So here comes the list of electrical items left on; can
you give me a rough idea how much I'm saving by turning them off.

40" plasma tv (on standby)
BT Vision box
BT home hub router
Xbox 360
electric blanket.

At a rough guess, and assuming he's not actually leaving the electric
blanket on - because that WOULD be mind-bendingly stupid - then somewhere
in the region of bollock-all. A handful of pennies per day.

The electric blanket would've only been on overnight on really cold nights.
So not every night.

A quick google suggests the TV's probably about 1w in standby, the BT
vision box about 25w, the router about 9w (and powering it off will
prevent it optimising the broadband speed), and the XBox 2.5w in standby.

He's on BT Infinity, so the broadband speeds not going to be affected.

So, together, less than 40w. So 1kWh/day. Probably about 10-15p per day,
depending on your tariff.

I've just changed. Was on EDF Blue plus, now with First Utilities fixed
until 2015. Saving £89 per year apparently.

Certainly nowhere near enough to warrant spending a tenner on an energy
monitor so that you can give him the riot act with any credibility.
Consider also the effect on the relationship between you, since you'd be
admitting to snooping around his room as soon as he's out in a morning...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
[...]

If there was a switch I'd be using it :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/11/2013 15:10, Thumper wrote:
My nephew is currently living at my house. Every weekday morning he goes
off to work just before 8am and I take a quick look in his room and
always I have to unplug from the wall socket as yet again he has left
everything on. If I didn't check they would've stayed on until he got
home around 4pm. So here comes the list of electrical items left on; can
you give me a rough idea how much I'm saving by turning them off.

40" plasma tv (on standby)
BT Vision box
BT home hub router
Xbox 360
electric blanket.

Is the BT router connected to its own phone line?

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Martin Brown" wrote in message
[...]

Even at 10p/day it's worth turning off.
(= £36.50/year)

Also there is the reduced fire risk to consider.
Many fires are started by damaged flexes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 21/11/2013 15:10, Thumper wrote:
My nephew is currently living at my house. Every weekday morning he goes
off to work just before 8am and I take a quick look in his room and
always I have to unplug from the wall socket as yet again he has left
everything on. If I didn't check they would've stayed on until he got
home around 4pm. So here comes the list of electrical items left on; can
you give me a rough idea how much I'm saving by turning them off.

40" plasma tv (on standby)

3W

BT Vision box

With a purple LED (standby mode - able to make scheduled recordings) about
12W

Red LED (power down state) 1W

Its a blue light on the BT Vision box.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Michael Chare" mUNDERSCOREnews@chareDOTorgDOTuk wrote in message
o.uk...
On 21/11/2013 15:10, Thumper wrote:
My nephew is currently living at my house. Every weekday morning he goes
off to work just before 8am and I take a quick look in his room and
always I have to unplug from the wall socket as yet again he has left
everything on. If I didn't check they would've stayed on until he got
home around 4pm. So here comes the list of electrical items left on; can
you give me a rough idea how much I'm saving by turning them off.

40" plasma tv (on standby)
BT Vision box
BT home hub router
Xbox 360
electric blanket.

Is the BT router connected to its own phone line?

Its connected to the BT phone line.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/11/2013 17:09, Thumper wrote:

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 21/11/2013 15:10, Thumper wrote:
My nephew is currently living at my house. Every weekday morning he goes
off to work just before 8am and I take a quick look in his room and
always I have to unplug from the wall socket as yet again he has left
everything on. If I didn't check they would've stayed on until he got
home around 4pm. So here comes the list of electrical items left on; can
you give me a rough idea how much I'm saving by turning them off.

40" plasma tv (on standby)

3W

BT Vision box

With a purple LED (standby mode - able to make scheduled recordings)
about 12W

Red LED (power down state) 1W

Its a blue light on the BT Vision box.

From what I read, they suggest that the LED can be blue which means its
"on" (drawing about 17W producing a video output etc), Purple is the
first level of standby (12W - ready to record etc but no video out), and
Red is the second level of standby being "off" (or very nearly!)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
[...]

I take it you meant, per day

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"harryagain" wrote in message

Even at 10p/day it's worth turning off.
(= £36.50/year)

Whilst on the subject of saving, He is typical young person that thinks
wearing any item of clothing once is enough for it to need washing. So he
puts a full load in the washing machine at least twice a week.

When he operates the machine, he sets it on "mixed load 40^" which takes 1
hour 10 minutes. If he asks me to do his washing, then I put it on "super
quick wash 30^" which takes 15 minutes. How much is that saving me.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/11/13 22:45, Thumper wrote:

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
[...]

I take it you dont do sums?

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 23 Nov 2013 22:57:06 +0000, Thumper wrote:

When he operates the machine, he sets it on "mixed load 40^" which takes
1 hour 10 minutes. If he asks me to do his washing, then I put it on
"super quick wash 30^" which takes 15 minutes. How much is that saving
me.

You have the manual for your washing machine. You have the calculations
required.

Get to it.

Or just spend* a tenner on an energy consumption doodah, as was suggested
several days back in this thread.

* - Yes, I know. I'm sorry. I realise that's a swear word to you.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Adrian" wrote in message
On Sat, 23 Nov 2013 22:57:06 +0000, Thumper wrote:

When he operates the machine, he sets it on "mixed load 40^" which takes
1 hour 10 minutes. If he asks me to do his washing, then I put it on
"super quick wash 30^" which takes 15 minutes. How much is that saving
me.

You have the manual for your washing machine. You have the calculations
required.

Get to it.

If I had a maths degree I would.

Or just spend* a tenner on an energy consumption doodah, as was suggested
several days back in this thread.

* - Yes, I know. I'm sorry. I realise that's a swear word to you.

It's 5 letters so its ok.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/11/2013 22:57, Thumper wrote:

"harryagain" wrote in message

Even at 10p/day it's worth turning off.
(= £36.50/year)

Whilst on the subject of saving, He is typical young person that thinks
wearing any item of clothing once is enough for it to need washing. So
he puts a full load in the washing machine at least twice a week.

When he operates the machine, he sets it on "mixed load 40^" which takes
1 hour 10 minutes. If he asks me to do his washing, then I put it on
"super quick wash 30^" which takes 15 minutes. How much is that saving me.

Depends on how many times he takes something returned as "clean" and
decides it needs washing again ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/11/2013 22:45, Thumper wrote:

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
[...]

No, I meant what I said. Take care with the difference between my use of
day as in days elapsed, and others use as in period of 24 hours.

I calculated the load at around 22.5W. If that load is on for an *extra*
8h / day, that it an extra consumption of 180Wh per day. So in the space
of a working week, that will add up to 1 kWh of electricity saved or
about 12p

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 24 Nov 2013 16:44:22 +0000, John Rumm wrote:

So about 22.5W total. Over 8 hours, 180 Wh, or 1 kWh roughly every 5.5
days. So you are saving about 12p per week.

I take it you meant, per day

No, I meant what I said. Take care with the difference between my use of
day as in days elapsed, and others use as in period of 24 hours.

I calculated the load at around 22.5W. If that load is on for an *extra*
8h / day, that it an extra consumption of 180Wh per day. So in the space
of a working week, that will add up to 1 kWh of electricity saved or
about 12p

It's probably safe to assume that he's similarly leaving it on whilst
asleep - so (for the sake of argument) let's assume a second 8hr period
per day, doubling the total...
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Thumper" wrote in message

"harryagain" wrote in message

Even at 10p/day it's worth turning off.
(= £36.50/year)

Whilst on the subject of saving, He is typical young person that thinks
wearing any item of clothing once is enough for it to need washing. So he
puts a full load in the washing machine at least twice a week.

When he operates the machine, he sets it on "mixed load 40^" which takes 1
hour 10 minutes. If he asks me to do his washing, then I put it on "super
quick wash 30^" which takes 15 minutes. How much is that saving me.

Probably very little. Now who gets the say on the use of tumble drier:-)
They gob electricity.

And is this nephew of yours actually paying you anything towards his room?
Not that I have had good results when I have had lodgers - not only the mad
use of the tumble drier on a hot summers day when they could use the washing
line - but generally leaving windows open when they go out (or the front
door unlocked), smoking in the bedroom and just generally being slobs and
leaving the house a tip.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/11/2013 17:55, ARW wrote:
"Thumper" wrote in message

[...]

Not such a long time ago, I was looking at being a lodger at a place
closer to work, however no one wanted to take anyone so young so that
just left a few student houses to look at. I was very quickly put off
the idea of moving at all after viewing a few of these student
properties; I was viewing them in around May, all of them had the
heating on very high when I went, clothes drying all over the place and
a general stink too.

--
Dawood
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" wrote in message
"Thumper" wrote in message

[...]

He gives me £200 each month by standing order, but there have been quite a
few months where he's asked for it back because its left him short. He's
also gone out leaving his window open. Generally niggly thing he does late
at night is go to bed knowing he's really tired but still turns on his tv.
When I go up over an hour later sometimes, he is asleep but tv is still on,
as he has forgot to set the sleep timer. Another time recently I heard the
fan heater on full blast, he was asleep on top of his bed, so I turned
heater off. Then I saw curtains moving, as window was wide open. And tv was
on as usual.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 25 Nov 2013 23:22:20 +0000, Thumper wrote:

He gives me £200 each month by standing order, but there have been quite
a few months where he's asked for it back because its left him short.

boggle

I'll have to try that line on the electricity bill, the gas bill, the
council tax, etc etc etc. D'you think it'll work?

As for the rest, sounds like you really DO need to get hold of a power
consumption meter - and start bloody recharging him. Only way he's going
to learn.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday 25 November 2013 23:22 Thumper wrote in uk.d-i-y:

"ARW" wrote in message
"Thumper" wrote in message

[...]

Then:

1) Take the heater away;

2) Take the TV away;

3) Stop giving him back his £200 - he's not learning anything.

Only when he is reduced to eating porridge with water and not going out at
all do you consider giving him a break!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Thumper" wrote in message

"ARW" wrote in message
"Thumper" wrote in message

[...]

Are you sharing the same bedroom with him?
--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" wrote in message
"Thumper" wrote in message

"ARW" wrote in message
"Thumper" wrote in message

[...]

No, he has his own room. I only look in on him when I hear something on and
its really late, like 1am.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Adrian" wrote in message
On Mon, 25 Nov 2013 23:22:20 +0000, Thumper wrote:

He gives me £200 each month by standing order, but there have been quite
a few months where he's asked for it back because its left him short.

boggle

I'll have to try that line on the electricity bill, the gas bill, the
council tax, etc etc etc. D'you think it'll work?

As for the rest, sounds like you really DO need to get hold of a power
consumption meter - and start bloody recharging him. Only way he's going
to learn.

One thing he does pay for directly from his bank account is the BT phone
bill. Our main landline is VM cable but we also had a BT line on the low
user tariff as hardly any calls made from it. Was only about a fiver per
quarter line rental. As nephew works for BT Openreach he got BT Infinity
broadband for free, and also BT Vision with free BT sports. That was all
good until BT billed us the full rate for line rental and BT Vision for
employees is not free, just discounted. So he now pays that bill monthly.

OT Saving $ Kyle Money Home Repair 1 October 28th 09 03:15 PM
I'm saving on oil Ed Pawlowski Home Repair 2 February 11th 09 02:12 PM
Energy Saving -Saving our Climate Milieunet UK diy 12 August 28th 07 07:00 AM
Energy Saving -Saving our Climate Milieunet Home Repair 0 August 23rd 07 09:03 AM
Energy Saving -Saving our Climate Milieunet UK diy 0 August 23rd 07 08:58 AM