Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Stupid question about fridges

I'm sure this is very basic but forgive me, I've not encountered it before.
In the new (to me) house there's a fridge under the kitchen worktop with a
panel door matching the other decor attached to it and by which it's opened.
When it finally goes to fridge heaven and I have to replace it do I have to
buy a special fridge to which a panel door can be attached and do they come
with door attachment points built in or do you have to drill and tap the
steel door of the new fridge to suit the panel door (left or right opening)
of the other kitchen units?

I actually have a little used fridge suitably sized for fitting under
counters which I bought for the old house but it has no attachment points on
its door that I can see. Does that make it a general purpose under counter
height fridge that no panel door can be easily attached to or can it be used
(perhaps with modifications) when my existing fridge bites the bullet?

Is there a convention about counter heights under which things like fridges,
dish washers, washing machines can be fitted so they're all the same height?

Are all under counter fridges left-opening like mine or can they also be
right-opening?
--
Dave Baker

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Baker wrote:

I'm sure this is very basic but forgive me, I've not encountered it before.
In the new (to me) house there's a fridge under the kitchen worktop with a
panel door matching the other decor attached to it and by which it's opened.
When it finally goes to fridge heaven and I have to replace it do I have to
buy a special fridge to which a panel door can be attached

Any fridge that says it's "integrated"

and do they come
with door attachment points built in or do you have to drill and tap the
steel door of the new fridge to suit the panel door (left or right opening)
of the other kitchen units?

Self-tappers to screw a couple of brackets to the door, which a couple
of sliding bars fit through in my (sample size of one) experience.

Are all under counter fridges left-opening like mine or can they also be
right-opening?

Dunno, my tall fridge/freezer can be either handed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Baker" wrote in message
[...]

I have them.
They are usually specially designed to for the front door to be attached but
they are a common variant on the standard fridge.
The thought has crossed my mind that it should be possible the fit the
sliding door joining thingys to any fridge but not certain about this.
Some at least have bits of trim and the door handle missing in the hidden
ones as unneccesary.
Every fridge I have encountered has had a reversible door.

There is a convention about counter hieghts. Many have adjustable legs to
give a degree of adjustment (for uneven floors etc). Amount of adjustment
varies. (up to three or four of inches)
The kicking strip can be cut down and usually just clips onto the adjustable
legs.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Certainly you can alter the opening side on most of them I've seen, but I'd
imagine you would need to look at the existing fridge to see how the door
facia is attached. Bearing in mind somefridges are flat fronted, some are
rounded and there are even some with small freezers with doors of their own
it makes me think that in reality, matching doors will only be there if the
fridge is supplied by the Kitchen company and then probably after some years
designs will go obsolete.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Dave Baker" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/11/2013 02:37, Dave Baker wrote:
[...]

Don't know for sure, but I suspect that fridges are either designed to
be free-standing or built-in. The built-in variety will have some means
of fixing the body in place, and of attaching a wooden (or whatever) door.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , at 09:24:03 on Sun, 10 Nov
2013, Brian Gaff remarked:
Certainly you can alter the opening side on most of them I've seen, but
I'd imagine you would need to look at the existing fridge to see how
the door facia is attached.

Bearing in mind some fridges are flat fronted, some are rounded
[...etc]

Only the former will be the "integrated" type that the OP needs to buy.
And the same considerations apply to dishwashers and clothes washers
(although integrated versions of the latter are quite unusual).

The house I bought last year had integrated versions of all three (which
made it fun for visitors playing "find the fridge", although I've since
replaced it with a standalone full height fridge-freezer as part of a
major kitchen re-modelling exercise). Oddly for a house very well
equipped in many ways, there was simply no-where obvious to put either a
freezer or a tumble-dryer. The temporary standalone freezer ended up in
the dining room and the temporary standalone dryer on the first floor
landing!
--
Roland Perry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/11/2013 10:02, Roger Mills wrote:

Don't know for sure, but I suspect that fridges are either designed to
be free-standing or built-in. The built-in variety will have some means
of fixing the body in place, and of attaching a wooden (or whatever) door.

Also, built-in fridges are set up for the kitchen cupboard plinth. I
think they either sit completely inside a cupboard or stand on the floor
but with a heavily recessed bottom edge and a door that stops well above
the floor.

A standalone fridge door will probably stick out below the cupboard door.

Cheers,

Colin.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Baker" grunted in
:

I'm sure this is very basic but forgive me, I've not encountered it
before. In the new (to me) house there's a fridge under the kitchen
worktop with a panel door matching the other decor attached to it and
by which it's opened. When it finally goes to fridge heaven and I have
to replace it do I have to buy a special fridge to which a panel door
can be attached and do they come with door attachment points built in
or do you have to drill and tap the steel door of the new fridge to
suit the panel door (left or right opening) of the other kitchen
units?

I feel particularly qualified to answer this one as I had one of these
fridges fail on me last week (in a rented-out property), and have just
had to find, buy and fit a replacement!

Yes, they are definitely a special type of fridge, with special fittings
to attach the 'cosmetic' door panel (designed so that they can be
adjusted slightly to line up the height of the door precisely with the
adjacent doors. These are usually sold as 'built-under' and/or
'integrated'; there's no standard terminology and you have to check them
carefully to ensure the appliance is indeed what you are expecting. NB
not to be confused with the 'tower' type of 'built-in' fridge, which are
taller, and fit at eye-level *within* a kithen unit. The 'built-under'
types stand directly on the floor, and have variable height legs (about
2" of height adjustment).

As someone else mentioned, they are recessed at the front bottom, so
that a continuous plinth panel can be fitted the length of the worktop.

I've got scanned user/intsllation manuals for two different models here;
If you're interested, post a munged e-mail address and I can send you
them.

The built-under and built-in models come +/- an icebox.

What does **** me off is that these integrated appliances are vastly
more expensive than standard models, and I really can't see the
justification (and then you're expected to spend another £50+ on a
square of melamine-coated chipboard for the cosmetic door!). The one I
bought this week was the cheapest I could find anywhere (£170 at
Curry's); for some reason that was about £100 cheaper than any other
model I could find anywhere. Compare that with about £100 for a basic
under-counter fridge.

I actually have a little used fridge suitably sized for fitting under
counters which I bought for the old house but it has no attachment
points on its door that I can see. Does that make it a general purpose
under counter height fridge that no panel door can be easily attached
to or can it be used (perhaps with modifications) when my existing
fridge bites the bullet?

I really can't imagine it would work; you'd never get it aligned
correctly front-to-back or up-and-down, and you'd be better off just
leaving the fridge as it is with a white metal door or whatever. At
least the old one should just slide out leaving you with a clean 'slot'
into which a non-fitted fridge could be placed.

Is there a convention about counter heights under which things like
fridges, dish washers, washing machines can be fitted so they're all
the same height?

Yes; but as mentioned there's enough adjustment in the feet to cope with
a bit of variation (there has to be to cope with non-true floors over a
long length of worktop)

Are all under counter fridges left-opening like mine or can they also
be right-opening?

Never seen one where you can't change the doors round.

--
David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Lobster" wrote in message
. 222...
"Dave Baker" grunted in
:

[...]

Very interesting, ta.

Eeh bah gum mail addy would be 'daveuk9xx' combined with 'aol.com'.
--
Dave Baker

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Baker" grunted in news:l5nui4$un5$1
@speranza.aioe.org:

"Lobster" wrote in message
. 222...
"Dave Baker" grunted in
:

Eeh bah gum mail addy would be 'daveuk9xx' combined with 'aol.com'.

Sent. Enjoy!

--
David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , at 12:31:59 on Sun, 10
Nov 2013, Huge remarked:

What does **** me off is that these integrated appliances are vastly
more expensive than standard models, and I really can't see the
justification

Me too.

It's probably because they don't make so many of them. With perhaps a
small measure of most being bought wholesale by builders. Few retailers
see the need to break ranks and sell cheaper to the occasional DIY
person who already convinced himself that nothing else will do.
--
Roland Perry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Lobster" wrote in message
. 236...
"Dave Baker" grunted in news:l5nui4$un5$1
@speranza.aioe.org:

"Lobster" wrote in message
. 222...
"Dave Baker" grunted in
:

Eeh bah gum mail addy would be 'daveuk9xx' combined with 'aol.com'.

Sent. Enjoy!

Cheers!

To be honest the fridge is a waste of bloody space. It's barely big enough
to hold sufficient food for the sole occupant of the house - me, and if a
family lived here it would be pointless. As soon as I moved in I had to put
my old upright fridge freezer in the corner of the kitchen anyway because
the under counter one only has an icebox big enough to keep a couple of
ready meals in and that's no use to man nor beast. I'd actually prefer to
ditch it when it dies and make that space another general purpose cupboard
but have no idea how easy that would be. It would need shelves installing
and possibly a back to the unit but I can't tell what's behind the fridge
without pulling it out.

It's a Crosby kitchen so maybe I can phone them and someone will know.
--
Dave Baker

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 10 November 2013 02:37:20 UTC, Dave Baker wrote:
I'm sure this is very basic but forgive me, I've not encountered it before.

In the new (to me) house there's a fridge under the kitchen worktop with a
panel door matching the other decor attached to it and by which it's opened.
When it finally goes to fridge heaven and I have to replace it do I have to
buy a special fridge to which a panel door can be attached and do they come
with door attachment points built in or do you have to drill and tap the
steel door of the new fridge to suit the panel door (left or right opening)
of the other kitchen units?

Dave Baker

The main issue is ventilation. A standard fridge usually ventilates by convection up the rear, and an integrated fridge is designed to ventilate from the bottom via a grille in the plinth.

John
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Baker" wrote in message
Cheers!

It's a Crosby kitchen so maybe I can phone them and someone will know.

Bollocking arseholes. Just googled for a phone number and they've literally
JUST gone into liquidation. Feck.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...tland-24124316

I'm feeling like Unlucky Alf from the Fast Show. Given mah luck summat's
bound to go wrong. Ohhhh Bugger.

I had another reason for wanting to phone them. The front panels to the
sliding drawers in the kitchen are attached to the sides of the drawers by
pins and a sort of camlock thingy which turns 90 degrees and locks to the
pins. Some of those are broken so the front panels keep coming off. Are
those camlock thingies a standard item for other kitchen unit makers or as
usual am I **** out of luck again?
--
Dave Baker

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Baker" grunted in
:

"Lobster" wrote in message
. 236...
"Dave Baker" grunted in news:l5nui4$un5$1
@speranza.aioe.org:

"Lobster" wrote in message
. 222...
"Dave Baker" grunted in
:

Eeh bah gum mail addy would be 'daveuk9xx' combined with 'aol.com'.

Sent. Enjoy!

Cheers!

To be honest the fridge is a waste of bloody space. It's barely big
enough to hold sufficient food for the sole occupant of the house -
me, and if a family lived here it would be pointless. As soon as I
moved in I had to put my old upright fridge freezer in the corner of
the kitchen anyway because the under counter one only has an icebox
big enough to keep a couple of ready meals in and that's no use to man
nor beast.

Yep these fridges are pretty tiny - best to get the larder style really
(ie no icebox) and have a separate freezer.

I'd actually prefer to ditch it when it dies and make that
space another general purpose cupboard but have no idea how easy that
would be. It would need shelves installing and possibly a back to the
unit but I can't tell what's behind the fridge without pulling it out.

Presumably the gap between the adjacent units (into which the fridge
fits) is 600mm? In which case, when released the fridge should slide out
and leave a 'clean' hole into which in theory you should be able to slide
a standard 600mm-wide base unit. Your obvious problem though would be to
find a matching door though...

--
David

It's a Crosby kitchen so maybe I can phone them and someone will know.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , at 15:06:49 on Sun, 10 Nov
2013, Dave Baker remarked:
the under counter one only has an icebox big enough to keep a couple of
ready meals in and that's no use to man nor beast.

That's why most fridges don't have a freezer compartment (see: Larder
Fridge).
I'd actually prefer to ditch it when it dies and make that space
another general purpose cupboard but have no idea how easy that would
be. It would need shelves installing

That's easy.

and possibly a back to the unit but I can't tell what's behind the
fridge without pulling it out.

What's behind the other cupboards - is it the wall, or a hardboard sheet
held between grooves, or a more serious bit of coated chipboard?

It would be easy to retro-fit one of the latter to the wall with a few
timber spacers. With the panel cut to size of course.
--
Roland Perry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , at
15:57:39 on Sun, 10 Nov 2013, Lobster
remarked:
Presumably the gap between the adjacent units (into which the fridge
fits) is 600mm? In which case, when released the fridge should slide out
and leave a 'clean' hole into which in theory you should be able to slide
a standard 600mm-wide base unit. Your obvious problem though would be to
find a matching door though...

Doesn't he already have the door - currently fitted to the fridge?

All you need is a pair of hinges (IKEA sell them) and a suitable
hole-cutting drill bit (a standard item).
--
Roland Perry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Baker" wrote in message

"Dave Baker" wrote in message
Cheers!

It's a Crosby kitchen so maybe I can phone them and someone will know.

Bollocking arseholes. Just googled for a phone number and they've
literally JUST gone into liquidation. Feck.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...tland-24124316

I'm feeling like Unlucky Alf from the Fast Show. Given mah luck summat's
bound to go wrong. Ohhhh Bugger.

I had another reason for wanting to phone them. The front panels to the
sliding drawers in the kitchen are attached to the sides of the drawers by
pins and a sort of camlock thingy which turns 90 degrees and locks to the
pins. Some of those are broken so the front panels keep coming off. Are
those camlock thingies a standard item for other kitchen unit makers or as
usual am I **** out of luck again?

You can buy "drawer kits" complete or the rails and sides to attach your
exisitng drawer fronts to.
There is lots of adjustment.
The carcasses are pretty standard these days. (ie the white melamine faced
chipboard "boxes" that form the units)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , at
07:07:14 on Sun, 10 Nov 2013, JohnW
remarked:
The main issue is ventilation. A standard fridge usually ventilates by
convection up the rear, and an integrated fridge is designed to
ventilate from the bottom via a grille in the plinth.

It's not unusual to find countertops with a small grille at the back
designed to allow that sort of ventilation "up the rear" (ooh err
missus).
--
Roland Perry

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"harryagain" wrote in message

"Dave Baker" wrote in message

"Dave Baker" wrote in message
Cheers!

[...]

All I want is a couple of those camlock thingies. Googled but no luck.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 10 Nov 2013 17:18:54 -0000, "Dave Baker"
wrote:

"harryagain" wrote in message

"Dave Baker" wrote in message

"Dave Baker" wrote in message
Cheers!

[...]

You could try calling Blum. They were very helpful
and sent me some parts FoC.
--
(\__/) M.
(")_(") is he still wrong?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, November 10, 2013 3:37:20 PM UTC+13, Dave Baker wrote:

Are all under counter fridges left-opening like mine or can they also be
right-opening?

My fridge has a door handle on each side, and can be opened either way.
For some reason that feature appealed to me. Also I had not decided on my kitchen layout when I bought it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Matty F wrote in
:

On Sunday, November 10, 2013 3:37:20 PM UTC+13, Dave Baker wrote:

Are all under counter fridges left-opening like mine or can they also
be right-opening?

My fridge has a door handle on each side, and can be opened either
way. For some reason that feature appealed to me. Also I had not
decided on my kitchen layout when I bought it.

Most can be changed - unless the handle is heavily stylised and built
into the pressing. Usually you can tell when you open the door - there
will be some redundant fixing points where pivots can be changed over.

--

DerbyBorn

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/11/2013 07:50, Matty F wrote:
On Sunday, November 10, 2013 3:37:20 PM UTC+13, Dave Baker wrote:

Are all under counter fridges left-opening like mine or can they also be
right-opening?

My fridge has a door handle on each side, and can be opened either way.
For some reason that feature appealed to me. Also I had not decided on my kitchen layout when I bought it.

I looked at those in the shop. I was put off by the thought of how
complicated the hinges must be though. The door must come pretty close
to falling off every time you open it. I'm sure my family would be able
to make it go past that point before long...

Cheers,

Colin.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, November 21, 2013 7:21:21 AM UTC+13, Colin Stamp wrote:
On 20/11/2013 07:50, Matty F wrote:
My fridge has a door handle on each side, and can be opened either way.
For some reason that feature appealed to me. Also I had not decided on my kitchen layout when I bought it.

I looked at those in the shop. I was put off by the thought of how
complicated the hinges must be though. The door must come pretty close
to falling off every time you open it. I'm sure my family would be able
to make it go past that point before long...

The fridge has been fine for 14 years. My brother keeps moaning about how it is bound to go wrong, but he's just jealous.
Most people don't notice the two handles. One person tried to hold both handles thinking that the whole door would fall off.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

"Someang Bounes" wrote in message
eb.com...

"DerbyBorn" wrote in message
2.236...

Matty F wrote in
:

On Sunday, November 10, 2013 3:37:20 PM UTC+13, Dave Baker wrote:

Are all under counter fridges left-opening like mine or can they also
be right-opening?

My fridge has a door handle on each side, and can be opened either
way. For some reason that feature appealed to me. Also I had not
decided on my kitchen layout when I bought it.

Most can be changed - unless the handle is heavily stylised and built
into the pressing. Usually you can tell when you open the door - there
will be some redundant fixing points where pivots can be changed over.

The way to find out is to download the user manual.

If you are not a confident DIY'er, or don't have tools (spanners etc.) then
usually the shop will swap the door over for you for a small[ish] charge.

I have done it on two. The more recent one was more fiddly because there
was wiring in the door.

--

DerbyBorn

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/11/2013 08:38, Matty F wrote:
On Thursday, November 21, 2013 7:21:21 AM UTC+13, Colin Stamp wrote:
On 20/11/2013 07:50, Matty F wrote:
My fridge has a door handle on each side, and can be opened either way.
For some reason that feature appealed to me. Also I had not decided on my kitchen layout when I bought it.

I looked at those in the shop. I was put off by the thought of how
complicated the hinges must be though. The door must come pretty close
to falling off every time you open it. I'm sure my family would be able
to make it go past that point before long...

The fridge has been fine for 14 years.

I didn't know they'd been around that long. They're still pretty rare
here. Just one model in a big branch of Currys last time I looked.

My brother keeps moaning about how it is bound to go wrong, but he's just jealous.
Most people don't notice the two handles. One person tried to hold both handles thinking that the whole door would fall off.

I did spend about 5 minutes in the shop trying to get the door to fall
off by taking it by surprise, jiggling both handles etc. I had to admit
defeat in the end.

Cheers,

Colin.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 21 Nov 2013 19:45:59 +0000, Colin Stamp wrote:

I did spend about 5 minutes in the shop trying to get the door to fall
off by taking it by surprise

chuckle
BOO!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/11/2013 19:58, Adrian wrote:
On Thu, 21 Nov 2013 19:45:59 +0000, Colin Stamp wrote:

I did spend about 5 minutes in the shop trying to get the door to fall
off by taking it by surprise

chuckle
BOO!

I disguised myself as an upright Hoover and jumped out from behind the
adjacent toaster display )

Cheers,

Colin.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, November 22, 2013 8:45:59 AM UTC+13, Colin Stamp wrote:
On 21/11/2013 08:38, Matty F wrote:

Most people don't notice the two handles. One person tried to hold both handles thinking that the whole door would fall off.

I did spend about 5 minutes in the shop trying to get the door to fall
off by taking it by surprise, jiggling both handles etc. I had to admit
defeat in the end.

When I bought the fridge (a Sharp Fresco) there was an advertising brochure that showed the fridge with the door open both sides. But the items in the door were the opposite way around and the writing on the bottles was reversed. So they had done the advertising with Photoshop before they even had a working fridge!