Posted to uk.d-i-y
jim jim is offline

Default sealing & terminating a virgin cable connection

Thanks for helpful answers to previous posts, it now decided BT is the way to go for b/band once I have moved. That means an existing internal Virgin box connection needs moving & sealing to protect it from building work. Any suggestions for a weatherproof box please?

The virgin cable arrives (out of the ground) outside at a connection box with a grey cover fixed to the house wall. What looks like the b/band coax then goes thru the wall into a white service box.

As that wall will be replastered, I need to move this box outside into a permanent weatherproof box next to the grey box.

Any suggestions for a suitable box please?

(I wish to retain the physical connection to keep my future options open)

Sorry if that's a bit long winded...hope you see what I mean..

TIA
Posted to uk.d-i-y

It's very low-tech, but I once used a small Tupperware-type container for
this sort of purpose, with the cable entering through a rubber grommet (with
the smallest opening feasible), itself sealed (possibly unnecessarily) with
silicone.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 13 Oct 2013 10:13:33 -0700 (PDT), jim wrote:

As that wall will be replastered, I need to move this box outside into a
permanent weatherproof box next to the grey box.

Why do you need to shift it outside? Just take it off the wall and
stuff it in a plastic bag if you want to keep the plaster dust and/or
plaster splashes of it. Once the wall has been replastered fix it
back.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
jim wrote:

As that wall will be replastered, I need to move this box outside into a
permanent weatherproof box next to the grey box.

Remove the lid from the box on the wall outside and remove the cables that
run inside (the coax will unscrew and the phone can be pulled out or
chopped off). Remove box inside the house and bin it. It was never there
if the virgin engineer asks in years to come (they won't care).

Fill hole, paint over it. A while ago it was worth keeping the coax as it
carried good quality FM radio signal. Suspect that's long since stopped :-(

Darren

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 13 October 2013 19:47:27 UTC+1, D.M.Chapman wrote:
In article ,

jim wrote:

As that wall will be replastered, I need to move this box outside into a

permanent weatherproof box next to the grey box.

Remove the lid from the box on the wall outside and remove the cables that

run inside (the coax will unscrew and the phone can be pulled out or

chopped off). Remove box inside the house and bin it. It was never there

if the virgin engineer asks in years to come (they won't care).

Fill hole, paint over it. A while ago it was worth keeping the coax as it

carried good quality FM radio signal. Suspect that's long since stopped :-(

Provided nothing on it is worth keeping just turn the it'snotcoax back down the hole it came from. Give them enough to play with and forget it was ever there. Why should it be your problem?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , jim
scribeth thus
Thanks for helpful answers to previous posts, it now decided BT is the way to go
for b/band once I have moved. That means an existing internal Virgin box
connection needs moving & sealing to protect it from building work. Any
suggestions for a weatherproof box please?

The virgin cable arrives (out of the ground) outside at a connection box with a
grey cover fixed to the house wall. What looks like the b/band coax then goes
thru the wall into a white service box.

As that wall will be replastered, I need to move this box outside into a
permanent weatherproof box next to the grey box.

Any suggestions for a suitable box please?

(I wish to retain the physical connection to keep my future options open)

Sorry if that's a bit long winded...hope you see what I mean..

TIA

Just leave it alone its there property and they if their concerned will
look after it.

What's made you mind up to go to BT anyway if you mean ADSL there are
other better providers out there inc VM. We've got the choice here and
the VM system works fine..

As best of all we don't have to deal with BT..
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y
jim jim is offline

On Monday, October 14, 2013 10:46:54 AM UTC+1, tony sayer wrote:
In article , jim

scribeth thus

Thanks for helpful answers to previous posts, it now decided BT is the way to go

for b/band once I have moved. That means an existing internal Virgin box

connection needs moving & sealing to protect it from building work. Any

suggestions for a weatherproof box please?

The virgin cable arrives (out of the ground) outside at a connection box with a

grey cover fixed to the house wall. What looks like the b/band coax then goes

thru the wall into a white service box.

As that wall will be replastered, I need to move this box outside into a

permanent weatherproof box next to the grey box.

Any suggestions for a suitable box please?

/////
Just leave it alone its there property and they if their concerned will

look after it.

What's made you mind up to go to BT anyway if you mean ADSL there are

other better providers out there inc VM.

SFAIUI the underground cabling to the house is VM or BT & whilst VM promote fairly high bandwidths, that is only download speed. VM upload speed is only 5mbs. BT is 55mbs up/18mbs down.

Some/all BT based current offers make no charge for a new house connection from the street.

Then once at the front door the BT option allows you a feast of ISPs to choose from.

The VM indoor box will be in the way of the new plastered wall which BRegs say need to be better insulated thus sticks out further away from the wall. Also I prefer to keep my options open & have a clear wall for now. Anyway, I might be glad of the option of returning to VM in the future. Who knows?

Still looking for that box....

Thanks for the replies

We've got the choice here and

the VM system works fine..

As best of all we don't have to deal with BT..

--

Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

What's made you mind up to go to BT anyway if you mean ADSL there are

other better providers out there inc VM.

SFAIUI the underground cabling to the house is VM or BT & whilst VM promote
fairly high bandwidths, that is only download speed. VM upload speed is only
5mbs. BT is 55mbs up/18mbs down.

We've got the 30 meg service and have had that for some 2 years now and
in all that time I can't say the 2 odd meg up has been a problem at all.
The down, around a house full gazing at iplayer on Skype etc and no
problems with that lot either. I believe for little more we can have a
100 meg or possibly more but I wonder if we really need it..

And they chuck in a phone line for less than net alone..

Some/all BT based current offers make no charge for a new house connection from
the street.

A lot do now its getting a shade more competitive these days..

Then once at the front door the BT option allows you a feast of ISPs to choose
from.

Indeed..

The VM indoor box will be in the way of the new plastered wall which BRegs say
need to be better insulated thus sticks out further away from the wall. Also I
prefer to keep my options open & have a clear wall for now. Anyway, I might be
glad of the option of returning to VM in the future. Who knows?

Well keep both on the go.. We can soon get Fibre but the VM service has
been excellent and best of all No BT involvement anywhere..

I'd at the moment would give my right arm for a consistent 500 K service
at an out in the sticks location but sadly I don't think cable/ fibre
will ever get there...

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/10/2013 18:13, jim wrote:
Thanks for helpful answers to previous posts, it now decided BT is the way to go for b/band once I have moved. That means an existing internal Virgin box connection needs moving & sealing to protect it from building work. Any suggestions for a weatherproof box please?

The virgin cable arrives (out of the ground) outside at a connection box with a grey cover fixed to the house wall. What looks like the b/band coax then goes thru the wall into a white service box.

As that wall will be replastered, I need to move this box outside into a permanent weatherproof box next to the grey box.

Any suggestions for a suitable box please?

If it is an internal box ... probably not rated for external use