Posted to uk.d-i-y,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Default Cutting Gas Bill but now damp smell

Small terraced house where the south facing kitchen and living room have
been knocked into one space, leaving one front room separated by a closing
door.

To cut down on the horrendous gas heating bills, we have taken to not much
using the front room, keeping the door shut, and turning down the radiator.

SWMBO is now complaining that the front room smells of damp.

What might possibly be the most effective and least expensive (i.e. not
simply blasting the radiators on) of curing this issue?

Would leaving the door ajar with a front room window just open a fraction
help cure it in the longer term? Grateful for any thoughts, thanks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,misc.consumers.frugal-living

In article , j t brooks
wrote:
Small terraced house where the south facing kitchen and living room have
been knocked into one space, leaving one front room separated by a
closing door.

To cut down on the horrendous gas heating bills, we have taken to not
much using the front room, keeping the door shut, and turning down the
radiator.

SWMBO is now complaining that the front room smells of damp.

What might possibly be the most effective and least expensive (i.e. not
simply blasting the radiators on) of curing this issue?

Would leaving the door ajar with a front room window just open a fraction
help cure it in the longer term? Grateful for any thoughts, thanks.

Try turning up the radiator a bit. The trouble is that cold air doesn't
hold as much moisture as warm air. If the room is too cold, it is likely to
be damp. Are the windows double glazed? if not try doing so with cling
film. It will help to stop heat loss to the outside. I'm assuming you don't
want to close the curtains 24/7. Opening a window will simply allow any
heat in the room to find its way outside and probbly make the problem worse.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Actually, if the room was well insulated there should not be too much extra
cost in heating it.

Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"charles" wrote in message
In article , j t brooks
wrote:
[...]

From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y,misc.consumers.frugal-living

"j t brooks" wrote in message
Small terraced house where the south facing kitchen and living room have
been knocked into one space, leaving one front room separated by a closing
door.

To cut down on the horrendous gas heating bills, we have taken to not much
using the front room, keeping the door shut, and turning down the
radiator.

SWMBO is now complaining that the front room smells of damp.

What might possibly be the most effective and least expensive (i.e. not
simply blasting the radiators on) of curing this issue?

Would leaving the door ajar with a front room window just open a fraction
help cure it in the longer term? Grateful for any thoughts, thanks.

The best way is to tackle the damp at source. Ie cooker hood, extract fan in
shower/bathroom.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,misc.consumers.frugal-living

On 13/10/13 16:05, harryagain wrote:
"j t brooks" wrote in message
Small terraced house where the south facing kitchen and living room have
been knocked into one space, leaving one front room separated by a closing
door.

To cut down on the horrendous gas heating bills, we have taken to not much
using the front room, keeping the door shut, and turning down the
radiator.

SWMBO is now complaining that the front room smells of damp.

What might possibly be the most effective and least expensive (i.e. not
simply blasting the radiators on) of curing this issue?

Would leaving the door ajar with a front room window just open a fraction
help cure it in the longer term? Grateful for any thoughts, thanks.

The best way is to tackle the damp at source. Ie cooker hood, extract fan in
shower/bathroom.

since the main source is the people in the house that is obviously the
way to go

Shoot your wife.

It will save on all your bills.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 13 Oct 2013 16:12:40 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

since the main source is the people in the house that is obviously the
way to go

Shoot your wife.

It will save on all your bills.

Certainly will, AFAIK you don't pay ant rent to HMG when detained at
Her Pleasure. B-)

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 13 Oct 2013 14:49:39 +0100, j t brooks wrote:

To cut down on the horrendous gas heating bills, ...

How big is "horrendous"? Energy here costs around £5,000/year split
roughly 50:50 oil:electric (no mains gas)...

... we have taken to not much using the front room, keeping the door
shut, and turning down the radiator.

How far have you turned the radiator down? If you go much below 15 C
room temp damp will start to be a problem. Shutting the door won't
help either a bit of ventilation is required. Start with keeping the
door a jar for a week and see if it helps. Wouldn't open the window.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,uk.d-i-y

On 13/10/2013 16:15, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 13 Oct 2013 14:49:39 +0100, j t brooks wrote:

To cut down on the horrendous gas heating bills, ...

How big is "horrendous"? Energy here costs around £5,000/year split
roughly 50:50 oil:electric (no mains gas)...

I would put that down as pretty bad but I expect that's a mansion.

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,uk.d-i-y

On 14/10/13 11:10, dennis@home wrote:
On 13/10/2013 16:15, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 13 Oct 2013 14:49:39 +0100, j t brooks wrote:

To cut down on the horrendous gas heating bills, ...

How big is "horrendous"? Energy here costs around £5,000/year split
roughly 50:50 oil:electric (no mains gas)...

I would put that down as pretty bad but I expect that's a mansion.

that is bad. think I am about £1000 leccy/£2000 oil and a couple of
hundred wood.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,misc.consumers.frugal-living

On 13/10/2013 14:49, j t brooks wrote:
Small terraced house where the south facing kitchen and living room have
been knocked into one space, leaving one front room separated by a closing
door.

To cut down on the horrendous gas heating bills, we have taken to not much
using the front room, keeping the door shut, and turning down the radiator.

SWMBO is now complaining that the front room smells of damp.

What might possibly be the most effective and least expensive (i.e. not
simply blasting the radiators on) of curing this issue?

Would leaving the door ajar with a front room window just open a fraction
help cure it in the longer term? Grateful for any thoughts, thanks.

I recently bought a dehumidifier to dry out some plaster. Aside from
doing that job well, it did leave the room feeling noticeably more
comfortable. A dry cold maybe ;-)

Even now the plaster's dry it seems able to collect a few litres a day.

--
Cheers, Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y,misc.consumers.frugal-living

On 13/10/2013 14:49, j t brooks wrote:
Small terraced house where the south facing kitchen and living room have
been knocked into one space, leaving one front room separated by a closing
door.

To cut down on the horrendous gas heating bills, we have taken to not much
using the front room, keeping the door shut, and turning down the radiator.

SWMBO is now complaining that the front room smells of damp.

What might possibly be the most effective and least expensive (i.e. not
simply blasting the radiators on) of curing this issue?

Would leaving the door ajar with a front room window just open a fraction
help cure it in the longer term? Grateful for any thoughts, thanks.

Low radiator setting, door ajar, keep windows *closed*, leave curtains
closed?
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 14 Oct 2013 18:17:56 +0100, Chris Hogg wrote:

SWMBO is now complaining that the front room smells of damp.

Get a dehumidifier!

Treats the symptom not the cause. Not to mention consumes
electricity, say 2 units/day, 30p/day, £100/year. Cheaper to keep the
door open...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Damp smell in extension to modern house John Kelly UK diy 31 August 9th 20 01:33 AM
damp smell Jethro UK diy 7 September 10th 09 12:21 PM
Damp spots, wall already injection treated for rising damp ppmoore UK diy 3 August 22nd 09 09:59 PM
Damp problem... DIY chemical damp-proof kit? Mike D UK diy 13 June 19th 07 02:59 PM
Suggestions on cutting energy bill -- Alex Home Repair 60 January 23rd 06 09:18 PM