Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default damp smell

hi all

noticed a damp smell from our bathroom last week ... after a lot of
sniffing I discovered that there was a tiny leak from our boxed
cistern which had seeped under the vinyl floor covering, swollen the
hardboard and made about 1m2 of floorboards wet. I checked the other
side of the bathroom wall, but the damp hadn't spread under the wall.

Have replaced damp floorboards, hardboard and vinyl, but can still
catch a whiff of a damp smell from that corner ... all fabrics have
been removed and washed, and the tiles scrubbed down ....

Anyone have any suggestions as to what could be holding the smell.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jethro wrote:
hi all

noticed a damp smell from our bathroom last week ... after a lot of
sniffing I discovered that there was a tiny leak from our boxed
cistern which had seeped under the vinyl floor covering, swollen the
hardboard and made about 1m2 of floorboards wet. I checked the other
side of the bathroom wall, but the damp hadn't spread under the wall.

Have replaced damp floorboards, hardboard and vinyl, but can still
catch a whiff of a damp smell from that corner ... all fabrics have
been removed and washed, and the tiles scrubbed down ....

Anyone have any suggestions as to what could be holding the smell.

Lift all the floor covering and leave up for a month. Then sniff around
again, I'll bet the smell has gone.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 8 Sep, 20:30, Jethro wrote:
hi all

noticed a damp smell from our bathroom last week ... after a lot of
sniffing I discovered that there was a tiny leak from our boxed
cistern which had seeped under the vinyl floor covering, swollen the
hardboard and made about 1m2 of floorboards wet. I checked the other
side of the bathroom wall, but the damp hadn't spread under the wall.

Have replaced damp floorboards, hardboard and vinyl, but can still
catch a whiff of a damp smell from that corner ... all fabrics have
been removed and washed, and the tiles scrubbed down ....

Anyone have any suggestions as to what could be holding the smell.

Mould spores or mycelium
you cannot smell damp!
Chris
PS
would not bother to do anything unless a capacitance or radio wave
damp meter says it is damp
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Why? wrote:
On 8 Sep, 20:30, Jethro wrote:
hi all

noticed a damp smell from our bathroom last week ... after a lot of
sniffing I discovered that there was a tiny leak from our boxed
cistern which had seeped under the vinyl floor covering, swollen the
hardboard and made about 1m2 of floorboards wet. I checked the other
side of the bathroom wall, but the damp hadn't spread under the wall.

Have replaced damp floorboards, hardboard and vinyl, but can still
catch a whiff of a damp smell from that corner ... all fabrics have
been removed and washed, and the tiles scrubbed down ....

Anyone have any suggestions as to what could be holding the smell.

Mould spores or mycelium
you cannot smell damp!

You can.

damp will carry a little of whatever it on around as an aroma.

You can even smell rain.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 09 Sep 2009 10:09:59 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

Why? wrote:
On 8 Sep, 20:30, Jethro wrote:
hi all

noticed a damp smell from our bathroom last week ... after a lot of
sniffing I discovered that there was a tiny leak from our boxed
cistern which had seeped under the vinyl floor covering, swollen the
hardboard and made about 1m2 of floorboards wet. I checked the other
side of the bathroom wall, but the damp hadn't spread under the wall.

Have replaced damp floorboards, hardboard and vinyl, but can still
catch a whiff of a damp smell from that corner ... all fabrics have
been removed and washed, and the tiles scrubbed down ....

Anyone have any suggestions as to what could be holding the smell.

Mould spores or mycelium
you cannot smell damp!

You can.

damp will carry a little of whatever it on around as an aroma.

You can even smell rain.

Have you ever heard the phrase .. it smells LIKE rain ?

Mike P

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 9 Sep, 10:09, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Why? wrote:
On 8 Sep, 20:30, Jethro wrote:
hi all

noticed a damp smell from our bathroom last week ... after a lot of
sniffing I discovered that there was a tiny leak from our boxed
cistern which had seeped under the vinyl floor covering, swollen the
hardboard and made about 1m2 of floorboards wet. I checked the other
side of the bathroom wall, but the damp hadn't spread under the wall.

Have replaced damp floorboards, hardboard and vinyl, but can still
catch a whiff of a damp smell from that corner ... all fabrics have
been removed and washed, and the tiles scrubbed down ....

Anyone have any suggestions as to what could be holding the smell.

Mould spores or mycelium
you cannot smell damp!

You can.

damp will carry a little of whatever it on around as an aroma.

You can even smell rain.

NT
Let me reiterate
You cannot smell water
It has no smell
It consists as you know of two simple elements
What you smell with damp is not water
it is a mould spore / mycelium
or

some other associated chemical
Smelling is a chemical process and what you are recognising is NOT
water!

Chris
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Why? wrote:
On 8 Sep, 20:30, Jethro wrote:
[...]

Well, you have to say that does make sense.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Why? wrote:
On 8 Sep, 20:30, Jethro wrote:
[...]

Well the fact is that you can detect a change in PURE humidity, because
your sense of smell improves. Even if it is simply from and of the
chemistry in your own nose!

I choose to call that 'smelling' the humidity, because there is no other
word for it.

Damp smell in extension to modern house John Kelly UK diy 31 August 9th 20 01:33 AM
Damp spots, wall already injection treated for rising damp ppmoore UK diy 3 August 22nd 09 09:59 PM
Damp problem... DIY chemical damp-proof kit? Mike D UK diy 13 June 19th 07 02:59 PM
Damp - "Damp Meters" Ed_Zep UK diy 4 December 21st 06 09:02 AM
Damp treatment for *severe* penetrating damp [email protected] UK diy 17 April 6th 06 12:28 PM