Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Stability of 240v supply under FIT tarrif?

On 24/09/2013 09:00, harryagain wrote:

The reason many are sub4Kw is that the smallest charge (money) band is
0-4Kw.
The next is 4-10Kw, too big to fir on most domestic house roofs.

More to the point, 16 A per phase is the maximum current you're allowed
to back-feed into the LV mains without elaborate protection
arrangements and approval of the DNO. (See ENA Engineering
Recommendation G83/2.) This limits you to about 3.8 kVA on a
single-phase connection.

--
Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/09/13 09:07, harryagain wrote:
On 23/09/13 12:03, Dave Liquorice wrote:

What is weird about giving the true facts?

Dunno, but its a total rarity in any discussions about energy
generation.

After considerable thought I have decided that the most succinct
thing to
be asiad about what 'everybody knows' and what 'everybody syays' about
electrical power generation is that it's *completely wrong*.

Well you certainly know nothing about inverters.

I've designed more of them than you have had solar panels fitted.

Maybe but solar inverters aren't really inverters at all.
They have much higher DC input voltages than the output AC voltage.
You "only" need to change it to sine output using suitable switches and
a bit of smoothing.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 24 Sep 2013 09:00:30 +0100, "harryagain"
wrote:

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ill.co.uk...
On Sun, 22 Sep 2013 08:38:38 -0700 (PDT), jim wrote:

One moment it's feeding amps into the local supply, the next it may be
extracting them. To get a reversible current flow, there must be a pd
(potential difference) between the 2 situations. How does it do this
trick? (and avoid flickering lights etc).

The volts do change but not enough to notice. The voltage here drops
by about 8 V when the E7 kicks in and 11 kW is instantly applied. A
domestic PV array in bright sunlight produces less than 4 kW, only a
bit above a rapid boil kettle...

Arrays cab be as big as you like/can fit in/afford.

The reason many are sub4Kw is that the smallest charge (money) band is
0-4Kw.
The next is 4-10Kw, too big to fir on most domestic house roofs.

1) Solar panels don't need to be fitted to roofs

2) More than one supply and corresponding solar installation receiving a FIT
payment per property was permitted

3)With a property having space for an array of more than 4kW you could size each
'installation' to be sub 4kW and optimise the return.

What do you mean you didn't have the common sense all those years back to
request another metered conneciton from the DNO and could have got, in cash
terms twice as much as you extort now from all those in fuel poverty?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , at 09:05:56 on Tue, 24 Sep
2013, harryagain remarked:

they also say they are using LED lights in their (semi-underground)
car park to save energy, but it's obvious they are fluorescents.

Why is it obvious?

Because it was only opened last year, and why would they put:

Some LED tubes fit into fluorescent light bodies.
http://www.earlsmann.co.uk/sections/product/id/15

....LED replacements in fluorescent fittings, rather than use
purpose-built LED fittings?
--
Roland Perry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/09/13 09:07, harryagain wrote:
On 23/09/13 12:03, Dave Liquorice wrote:

What is weird about giving the true facts?

Dunno, but its a total rarity in any discussions about energy
generation.

After considerable thought I have decided that the most succinct thing
be asiad about what 'everybody knows' and what 'everybody syays' about
electrical power generation is that it's *completely wrong*.

Well you certainly know nothing about inverters.

I've designed more of them than you have had solar panels fitted.

Yet you don't know the operating principle of the most numerous inverters
made these days?
About as much as you know about nuclear power.
ie FA

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"dennis@home" wrote in message
eb.com...
On 24/09/13 09:07, harryagain wrote:
On 23/09/13 12:03, Dave Liquorice wrote:

What is weird about giving the true facts?

Dunno, but its a total rarity in any discussions about energy
generation.

After considerable thought I have decided that the most succinct
thing to
be asiad about what 'everybody knows' and what 'everybody syays' about
electrical power generation is that it's *completely wrong*.

Well you certainly know nothing about inverters.

I've designed more of them than you have had solar panels fitted.

Maybe but solar inverters aren't really inverters at all.
They have much higher DC input voltages than the output AC voltage.
You "only" need to change it to sine output using suitable switches and a
bit of smoothing.

Creating a sine wave using electronics is not straightforward.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/09/2013 17:49, harryagain wrote:
[...]

You think?

I can do it in a line of code.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/09/13 19:05, John Rumm wrote:
[...]

Now do it at 3KW....

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/09/2013 17:49, harryagain wrote:

Maybe but solar inverters aren't really inverters at all.
They have much higher DC input voltages than the output AC voltage.
You "only" need to change it to sine output using suitable switches and a
bit of smoothing.

Creating a sine wave using electronics is not straightforward.

A few electronic switches and a micro controller.
They just get a bit expensive as the power goes up.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

That dictates what is on the end of the ADC, not how you get it to
produce a sine wave.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

harryagain wrote:
[...]

It depends how much distortion you can accept, but you've lost this
argument before.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 25 Sep 2013 21:06:36 +0100, John Williamson
wrote:

harryagain wrote:

Creating a sine wave using electronics is not straightforward.

It depends how much distortion you can accept, but you've lost this
argument before.

What would Russ Andrews do?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

harryagain wrote:

Creating a sine wave using electronics is not straightforward.

It depends how much distortion you can accept, but you've lost this
argument before.

What would Russ Andrews do?

Use gold plated cables, probably.

With a special weave to remove the inevitable distortion and RF
interference from the generator.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
Far more of an issue is synchronising the frequencies and putting crap on
the local supply or even creating RFI from the inverter in my experience,
which is not much here, but from those who rushed out and got it, there
have been issues.. grin.

Brian

Drivel.
Grid tie inverters are relatively cheap because they don't have to create
their own sine wave out of nothing.
They are more like an amplifier , input sinewave from the mains, so perfect
sine wave and perfectly sychronised.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
[...]

I see you are the theory man.
Actually building a stand alone one that makes a stepless wave is difficult.

But unnessary in the case of a grid tie inverter which uses the mains as a
"model"
ie works like an amplifier.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"dennis@home" wrote in message
eb.com...
On 25/09/2013 17:49, harryagain wrote:

Maybe but solar inverters aren't really inverters at all.
They have much higher DC input voltages than the output AC voltage.
You "only" need to change it to sine output using suitable switches and
bit of smoothing.

Creating a sine wave using electronics is not straightforward.

A few electronic switches and a micro controller.
They just get a bit expensive as the power goes up.

Ah. The micro controller,

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/09/13 08:00, harryagain wrote:
"John Rumm" wrote in message
[...]

How efficient, harry, do you thing a 3KW audio amplifier running at 50HZ
would be? Using class A, and Class B technologies.

You have no idea do you?

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , harryagain
scribeth thus

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
Far more of an issue is synchronising the frequencies and putting crap on
the local supply or even creating RFI from the inverter in my experience,
which is not much here, but from those who rushed out and got it, there
have been issues.. grin.

Brian

Drivel.
Grid tie inverters are relatively cheap because they don't have to create
their own sine wave out of nothing.
They are more like an amplifier , input sinewave from the mains, so perfect
sine wave and perfectly sychronised.

Harry..

Obtain an Oscilloscope then connect that to the output of any
transformer or even direct to the mains and observe the mains waveform..

A Perfick sine wave is the one thing you will not see;!...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article om,
dennis@home scribeth thus
On 24/09/13 09:07, harryagain wrote:
On 23/09/13 12:03, Dave Liquorice wrote:

What is weird about giving the true facts?

Dunno, but its a total rarity in any discussions about energy
generation.

After considerable thought I have decided that the most succinct
thing to
be asiad about what 'everybody knows' and what 'everybody syays' about
electrical power generation is that it's *completely wrong*.

Well you certainly know nothing about inverters.

I've designed more of them than you have had solar panels fitted.

Maybe but solar inverters aren't really inverters at all.
They have much higher DC input voltages than the output AC voltage.
You "only" need to change it to sine output using suitable switches and
a bit of smoothing.

Den..

Its not quite that simple as you might realise if you know anything
about it...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , The Other Mike
scribeth thus
wrote:

harryagain wrote:

Creating a sine wave using electronics is not straightforward.

It depends how much distortion you can accept, but you've lost this
argument before.

What would Russ Andrews do?

Simples!.. Employ Harry to write his advert copy;!...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , harryagain
scribeth thus

On 24/09/13 09:07, harryagain wrote:
On 23/09/13 12:03, Dave Liquorice wrote:

What is weird about giving the true facts?

Dunno, but its a total rarity in any discussions about energy
generation.

After considerable thought I have decided that the most succinct thing
be asiad about what 'everybody knows' and what 'everybody syays' about
electrical power generation is that it's *completely wrong*.

Well you certainly know nothing about inverters.

I've designed more of them than you have had solar panels fitted.

Yet you don't know the operating principle of the most numerous inverters
made these days?
About as much as you know about nuclear power.
ie FA

Go on harry, enlighten us .. and no plagiarising please...

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/09/2013 08:55, tony sayer wrote:

Maybe but solar inverters aren't really inverters at all.
They have much higher DC input voltages than the output AC voltage.
You "only" need to change it to sine output using suitable switches and
a bit of smoothing.

Den..

Its not quite that simple as you might realise if you know anything
about it...

Well everything is difficult for you.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/09/2013 08:54, tony sayer wrote:
In article , harryagain
scribeth thus

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
Far more of an issue is synchronising the frequencies and putting crap on
the local supply or even creating RFI from the inverter in my experience,
which is not much here, but from those who rushed out and got it, there
have been issues.. grin.

Brian

Drivel.
Grid tie inverters are relatively cheap because they don't have to create
their own sine wave out of nothing.
They are more like an amplifier , input sinewave from the mains, so perfect
sine wave and perfectly sychronised.

Harry..

Obtain an Oscilloscope then connect that to the output of any
transformer or even direct to the mains and observe the mains waveform..

A Perfick sine wave is the one thing you will not see;!...

We might have to adjust harry's hit rate.... previously I worked on the
principle that 80% of what he posted would be wrong. Seems that might
have been over generous.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/09/2013 23:28, The Other Mike wrote:

What would Russ Andrews do?

Apply a bit of snake oil to the terminals to reduce the distortion.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"tony sayer" wrote in message
In article , harryagain
scribeth thus

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
Far more of an issue is synchronising the frequencies and putting crap
on
the local supply or even creating RFI from the inverter in my
experience,
which is not much here, but from those who rushed out and got it, there
have been issues.. grin.

Brian

Drivel.
Grid tie inverters are relatively cheap because they don't have to create
their own sine wave out of nothing.
They are more like an amplifier , input sinewave from the mains, so
perfect
sine wave and perfectly sychronised.

Harry..

Obtain an Oscilloscope then connect that to the output of any
transformer or even direct to the mains and observe the mains waveform..

A Perfick sine wave is the one thing you will not see;!...

And how exactly will you see how perfect or not perfect it is? Just eyeball
it?
Heh heh, You are as bad as TurNiP

The only way to be absolutely sure is to get a piece of graph paper and some
sine tables and draw your own.
And those tables were derived geometrically not by some stupid computer.
Similar geometry to that going on in an alternator.
And any non sinusiodal AC passed through inductors and capacitors, gradually
gets to look more and more like a sine wave interestingly.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , harryagain
scribeth thus

"tony sayer" wrote in message
In article , harryagain
scribeth thus

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
[...]

..

There are lot of distortions on the mains waveform.

Answer this question if you will. Have you got an Oscilloscope or not?..

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"tony sayer" wrote in message
In article , harryagain
scribeth thus

"tony sayer" wrote in message
In article , harryagain
scribeth thus

.

There are lot of distortions on the mains waveform.

Answer this question if you will. Have you got an Oscilloscope or not?..

No.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

A Perfick sine wave is the one thing you will not see;!...

And how exactly will you see how perfect or not perfect it is? Just
eyeball
it?
Heh heh, You are as bad as TurNiP

The only way to be absolutely sure is to get a piece of graph paper and
some
sine tables and draw your own.
And those tables were derived geometrically not by some stupid computer.
Similar geometry to that going on in an alternator.
And any non sinusiodal AC passed through inductors and capacitors,
gradually
gets to look more and more like a sine wave interestingly.

.

There are lot of distortions on the mains waveform.

Answer this question if you will. Have you got an Oscilloscope or not?..

No.

Well perhaps you should then you'll se what the mains really does look
like;!..
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"tony sayer" wrote in message
[...]

I saw it years ago. It was only a mildly interesting experience that I
wouldn't be interested in repeating.

I don't recall any significant "distortion". Just an occasional spike.

Why do you suppose the mains would have a non sine wave? Every effort is
made t omake it a sine wave.
Sine waves comenaturally toany rotating electrical device
Any deviation reduces the efficiency of any AC magnetic device

Posted to uk.d-i-y

harryagain wrote:

"tony sayer" wrote in message

Have you got an Oscilloscope or not?..

No.

Well perhaps you should then you'll se what the mains really does look
like;!..

I saw it years ago. It was only a mildly interesting experience that I
wouldn't be interested in repeating.

I don't recall any significant "distortion". Just an occasional spike.

Why do you suppose the mains would have a non sine wave?

Theory and practice always agree in your world, don't they?

http://www.acoustica.org.uk/other/mains_noise.html

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
.. .
harryagain wrote:

"tony sayer" wrote in message

Have you got an Oscilloscope or not?..

No.

Well perhaps you should then you'll se what the mains really does look
like;!..

I saw it years ago. It was only a mildly interesting experience that I
wouldn't be interested in repeating.

I don't recall any significant "distortion". Just an occasional spike.

Why do you suppose the mains would have a non sine wave?

Theory and practice always agree in your world, don't they?

http://www.acoustica.org.uk/other/mains_noise.html

That sort of thing is caused by an iron core somewhere being driven into
saturation (ie overloaded.)
Probably a local transformer.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"harryagain" wrote in message

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
.. .
harryagain wrote:

"tony sayer" wrote in message

Have you got an Oscilloscope or not?..

No.

Well perhaps you should then you'll se what the mains really does look
like;!..

I saw it years ago. It was only a mildly interesting experience that I
wouldn't be interested in repeating.

I don't recall any significant "distortion". Just an occasional spike.

Why do you suppose the mains would have a non sine wave?

Theory and practice always agree in your world, don't they?

http://www.acoustica.org.uk/other/mains_noise.html

That sort of thing is caused by an iron core somewhere being driven into
saturation (ie overloaded.)
Probably a local transformer.

To elaborate, if the voltage goes outside parameters, the core can become
saturated so leading to the clipping effect.

The current has nothing to do with it.
If voltage is constant, the flux in the core is constant from zero load to
full load.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/09/13 18:45, harryagain wrote:
"harryagain" wrote in message

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
.. .
harryagain wrote:

"tony sayer" wrote in message

[...]

Proving once again that harry knows the square root of **** all about
transformers.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/09/13 18:45, harryagain wrote:
"harryagain" wrote in message

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
.. .
harryagain wrote:

"tony sayer" wrote in message

[...]

You really are a thick **** TurNiP.

Why do you suppose that "iron losses" in AC motors and tranformers are
almost constant regardless of load.
You really have little education on electrical theory.

There is an explanation for idiots here. See if you can undersatand it.
http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question...5225019AA7vJEf

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/09/13 07:52, harryagain wrote:
On 29/09/13 18:45, harryagain wrote:
"harryagain" wrote in message

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
.. .
harryagain wrote:

"tony sayer" wrote in message

[...]

Not for the reasons you suppose.

You really have little education on electrical theory.

:-)

There is an explanation for idiots here. See if you can undersatand it.
http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question...5225019AA7vJEf

No harry, this is not an explanatin. The second post is correct, but you
didnt read that.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , harryagain
scribeth thus

"tony sayer" wrote in message
[...]

Harry .. things have moved in since you looked after your boilers.

The mains these days has some rather "unpleasant" loading on it usually
by semiconductor devices not transformers near saturation. Why is it
that I can clearly see these even late at night when the loading on
substation transformers goes right down?.

Answer me that one if you will..

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/09/2013 18:35, harryagain wrote:
"Andy Burns" wrote in message
.. .
harryagain wrote:

"tony sayer" wrote in message

Have you got an Oscilloscope or not?..

No.

Well perhaps you should then you'll se what the mains really does look
like;!..

I saw it years ago. It was only a mildly interesting experience that I
wouldn't be interested in repeating.

I don't recall any significant "distortion". Just an occasional spike.

Why do you suppose the mains would have a non sine wave?

Theory and practice always agree in your world, don't they?

http://www.acoustica.org.uk/other/mains_noise.html

That sort of thing is caused by an iron core somewhere being driven into
saturation (ie overloaded.)
Probably a local transformer.

The primary cause of mains distortion these days is discharge lighting
and switched mode power supplies.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"tony sayer" wrote in message
In article , harryagain
scribeth thus

"tony sayer" wrote in message
[...]

The electrical load controlled by electronic devices is trivial compared
with total load.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/09/13 07:52, harryagain wrote:
On 29/09/13 18:45, harryagain wrote:
"harryagain" wrote in message

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
.. .
harryagain wrote:

"tony sayer" wrote in message

[...]

The iron losses are constant because the flux is constant.

You really have little education on electrical theory.

:-)

There is an explanation for idiots here. See if you can undersatand it.
http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question...5225019AA7vJEf

No harry, this is not an explanatin. The second post is correct, but you
didnt read that.

You dopey pillock.
The second answer does not contradict the first.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

harryagain wrote:

The electrical load controlled by electronic devices is trivial compared
with total load.

How much power do you think datacentres gobble up? Vast warehouses full
of rack upon rack of servers with SMPSUs ...

240v supply from 415V ? BodgeIt UK diy 3 March 25th 10 10:45 AM
415V immersion on 240V supply andrew UK diy 12 March 17th 10 05:46 PM
Old Paper--The Stability Problem in Feedback Amplifiers Part 2 - The Stability Problem.part2.rar The Phantom Electronic Schematics 0 June 13th 08 04:28 AM
Old Paper--The Stability Problem in Feedback Amplifiers Part 1 - The Stability Problem.part1.exe The Phantom Electronic Schematics 0 June 13th 08 04:24 AM
Switch for oil boiler and pump 240V power supply [email protected] UK diy 3 October 13th 05 01:54 PM