Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Opening out loo seat fixing holes

I need to increase the diameter of the holes in the
loo by 4mm. What is the best way to do it ?
Is there some sort of tapered boring tool for
china/earthenware (or whatever loos are made with) ?

Jim Hawkins

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim Hawkins wrote:
I need to increase the diameter of the holes in the
loo by 4mm. What is the best way to do it ?
Is there some sort of tapered boring tool for
china/earthenware (or whatever loos are made with) ?

Jim Hawkins

Don't even think about it!
It is bound to end in tears. Reduce the diameter of the fixings will be
far easier/safer.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim Hawkins wrote:

I need to increase the diameter of the holes in the
loo by 4mm.

You'll probably be into two skins of porcelain separated by air by that
diameter, but DON'T even think of doing it regardless of that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim Hawkins wrote:
I need to increase the diameter of the holes in the
loo by 4mm. What is the best way to do it ?

There isn't a best way, there's lots of bad ways

Is there some sort of tapered boring tool for
china/earthenware (or whatever loos are made with) ?

It will shatter as soon as you put a drill bit near it

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim Hawkins wrote:
I need to increase the diameter of the holes in the
loo by 4mm. What is the best way to do it ?
Is there some sort of tapered boring tool for
china/earthenware (or whatever loos are made with) ?

Jim Hawkins

Thanks to all for the warnings - which I've heeded.
It's not possible to reduce the distance between the seat fixings.
But by leaving off the plastic sleeves intended to go round the
shanks of the fixing screws, those screws just fit into the inside
edges of the holes ! So problem solved.

Jim Hawkins

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim Hawkins wrote:

by leaving off the plastic sleeves intended to go round the
shanks of the fixing screws, those screws just fit into the inside
edges of the holes ! So problem solved.

They're probably designed so that for loos with small holes you omit the
sleeves, for loos with large holes you use the sleeves, maybe that gem
is only in the $FORRIN part of the instructions ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 19 September 2013 17:50:27 UTC+1, Jim Hawkins wrote:

But by leaving off the plastic sleeves intended to go round the

shanks of the fixing screws, those screws just fit into the inside

edges of the holes ! So problem solved.

I suspect those sleeves are provided to protect the porcelain from damage by the threads of the screws or studs during tightening or under mechanical impacts.

You might want at least to put some protective tape around them instead.

If obliged to bore-out a hole in porcelain, I would use a Dremel with a grinding bit. Laborious but at least no danger of cracking.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

After serious thinking Chris Hogg wrote :
On Thu, 19 Sep 2013 14:32:06 +0100, "Jim Hawkins"
wrote:

I need to increase the diameter of the holes in the
loo by 4mm. What is the best way to do it ?
Is there some sort of tapered boring tool for
china/earthenware (or whatever loos are made with) ?

Jim Hawkins

I would echo the cautions of the other posts.

But Harry Bloomfield managed to drill a 6 mm hole through the shelf
across the back of a washbasin (much to my surprise; see his posts of
the 11th and 12th of this month), and loos and washbasins are made of
the same stuff (vitreous china, aka porcelain in common parlance), so
you may also be successful. He started with a small drill, 4mm, and
gradually increased the diameter until he got to the size he wanted,
6mm. I would take it very slowly and gently with minimum force, and be
prepared for tears! He may offer more advice.

But much safer to change the size of the fixings on the loo seat.

I did, but the difference was that where I needed the hole there was
plenty of porcelain around it. Toilet seat fixings are usually very
close to a corner, so the corner might well chip off.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

fixing a toilet seat Leonards UK diy 15 January 20th 17 07:30 PM
Door lining fixing - wonky opening nafuk UK diy 4 July 1st 09 02:41 PM
garden seat, screw fixing, wood movement? Tim_Mac Woodworking 8 March 5th 07 10:52 PM
Fixing a BAD garage door blocked up opening TNVWBoy Home Repair 1 July 20th 06 07:57 PM
Re-fixing into knackered holes. chris French UK diy 7 September 8th 04 11:07 PM