chris French

Default Re-fixing into knackered holes.

Removed a rad for redecorating. It's been loose for ages as a couple of
the fixing screws have come loose in their holes. Presumably I got a
joint when fixing it originally, also the plaster around the hole has
crumbled a bit.

I maybe able to relocate the hole a bit by moving the bracket slightly,
but I don't want to move the rad itself. I have used the expoy putty
before for plugging such a hole, but not sure it will work so well in
this situation, ditto for hammering bit's of wood in

Any other suggestions for getting a better fixing - the wall is being
skimmed as well.
--
Chris French, Leeds
AJ

chris French wrote:

Removed a rad for redecorating. It's been loose for ages as a couple of
the fixing screws have come loose in their holes. Presumably I got a
joint when fixing it originally, also the plaster around the hole has
crumbled a bit.

I maybe able to relocate the hole a bit by moving the bracket slightly,
but I don't want to move the rad itself. I have used the expoy putty
before for plugging such a hole, but not sure it will work so well in
this situation, ditto for hammering bit's of wood in

Any other suggestions for getting a better fixing - the wall is being
skimmed as well.

If it is brick/block/concrete try using a chemical anchor with a
threaded stud in it - it will be stronger than the wall it is fixed to.

Screwfix sell it as do most builders merchants (not usually found in DIY
stores)

This link shows you the range available

AJ
The Natural Philosopher

chris French wrote:

Removed a rad for redecorating. It's been loose for ages as a couple of
the fixing screws have come loose in their holes. Presumably I got a
joint when fixing it originally, also the plaster around the hole has
crumbled a bit.

I maybe able to relocate the hole a bit by moving the bracket slightly,
but I don't want to move the rad itself. I have used the expoy putty
before for plugging such a hole, but not sure it will work so well in
this situation, ditto for hammering bit's of wood in

Any other suggestions for getting a better fixing - the wall is being
skimmed as well.

Fill the holes with car body filler, then skim and re-drill for plugs.

You should gouge out any loose stuff and if clever, where the new
fixings are going, and if extremely clever, insert new plugs into body
filler as it sets.

sPoNiX

On Mon, 6 Sep 2004 03:18:56 +0100, chris French
wrote:

Removed a rad for redecorating. It's been loose for ages as a couple of
the fixing screws have come loose in their holes. Presumably I got a
joint when fixing it originally, also the plaster around the hole has
crumbled a bit.

I maybe able to relocate the hole a bit by moving the bracket slightly,
but I don't want to move the rad itself. I have used the expoy putty
before for plugging such a hole, but not sure it will work so well in
this situation, ditto for hammering bit's of wood in

Any other suggestions for getting a better fixing - the wall is being
skimmed as well.

Fill the holes with Gripfill and push a rawlplug in before it sets.

sPoniX
Sam

"chris French" wrote in message
Removed a rad for redecorating. It's been loose for ages as a couple of
the fixing screws have come loose in their holes. Presumably I got a
joint when fixing it originally, also the plaster around the hole has
crumbled a bit.

I maybe able to relocate the hole a bit by moving the bracket slightly,
but I don't want to move the rad itself. I have used the expoy putty
before for plugging such a hole, but not sure it will work so well in this
situation, ditto for hammering bit's of wood in

Any other suggestions for getting a better fixing - the wall is being
skimmed as well.
--

My strategy, which has never failed up to now, is to fill the hole with hot
melt glue and push in a rawlplug, then, at least the first time I did it,

I think it works particularly well because the hot glue flows into cavities
in the masonary and forms a plug better than other solutions.

Sam

stuart noble

Sam wrote in message ...

[...]

Or use the biggest plug that'll fit tightly and fill that with a smaller
plug(s)

Peter Scott

"Sam" wrote in message

[...]

This is a great idea. Never thought of it, but I'll try it next time. Is it
worth saying that he should make sure all the loose dust and bits are
cleared out?

Peter Scott

Sam

This is a great idea. Never thought of it, but I'll try it next time. Is
it
worth saying that he should make sure all the loose dust and bits are
cleared out?

Indeed it would. I completely forgot to mention that :-) I just stick the
vacuum cleaner up to it for a second or two.

Sam

Accurate Holes in Concrete? (Slightly Bogus Metal Content) Doug White Metalworking 12 August 28th 04 06:20 PM
Boring dog holes... Silvan Woodworking 5 November 4th 03 07:10 PM
Foundation holes jim Home Repair 0 August 14th 03 04:10 PM
screw holes in maple hardwood floor blue Woodworking 10 July 16th 03 07:18 PM