Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fitting a couple of extra radiators

Got the system drained down, and I'd like to take the opportunity to fit
a couple of extra new radiators - one GF kitchen, and one FF bathroom
(heated towel rail in fact). Access is fairly easy, and they'll be
fitted 'inline' to an existing combi copper piped system. The pipe runs
are fairly simple, with a short horizontal under the suspended timber
floors to a right angle up to meet the radiator.

I did follow a recent thread that seemed to rest on the virtues of
pipe/solder, but these are likely to be the first/last joins of this
kind that I do for a while. So, I'm not sure it'll be worth investing
the time/money.

Could anyone recommend a suitable method for this situation, with
pointers to the best types of fittings to use?

--
Cheers, Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

RJH scribbled...

Got the system drained down, and I'd like to take the opportunity to fit
a couple of extra new radiators - one GF kitchen, and one FF bathroom
(heated towel rail in fact). Access is fairly easy, and they'll be
fitted 'inline' to an existing combi copper piped system. The pipe runs
are fairly simple, with a short horizontal under the suspended timber
floors to a right angle up to meet the radiator.

I did follow a recent thread that seemed to rest on the virtues of
pipe/solder, but these are likely to be the first/last joins of this
kind that I do for a while. So, I'm not sure it'll be worth investing
the time/money.

Could anyone recommend a suitable method for this situation, with
pointers to the best types of fittings to use?

Solder joints are the cheapest option and look the tidiest when
finished.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/09/2013 01:34, Artic wrote:
RJH scribbled...

Got the system drained down, and I'd like to take the opportunity to fit
a couple of extra new radiators - one GF kitchen, and one FF bathroom
(heated towel rail in fact). Access is fairly easy, and they'll be
fitted 'inline' to an existing combi copper piped system. The pipe runs
are fairly simple, with a short horizontal under the suspended timber
floors to a right angle up to meet the radiator.

I did follow a recent thread that seemed to rest on the virtues of
pipe/solder, but these are likely to be the first/last joins of this
kind that I do for a while. So, I'm not sure it'll be worth investing
the time/money.

Could anyone recommend a suitable method for this situation, with
pointers to the best types of fittings to use?

Solder joints are the cheapest option and look the tidiest when
finished.

Agreed. But as the joints will be out of sight, and I have neither tools
or skill to solder, might there be a decent alternative?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 09 Sep 2013 09:02:53 +0100, RJH wrote:

Agreed. But as the joints will be out of sight, and I have neither tools
or skill to solder, might there be a decent alternative?

Ahh, in that case copper tube with a proper tube cutter and push fit
fittings. Make sure you remove any burrs or swarf from the tube
before inserting it into a fitting.

Not being totally convinced that plastic will handle the thermal
cycling on a CH circuit in the long term and for this project only a
few fittings required look at compression or Cuprofit.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

RJH scribbled...

Solder joints are the cheapest option and look the tidiest when
finished.

Agreed. But as the joints will be out of sight, and I have neither tools
or skill to solder, might there be a decent alternative?

Soldering is easy. Cut off a short piece of pipe, clean it up with wire
wool and test solder a cleaned up connector to one end. With plenty of
flux at the right temperature, the solder will run through the joint and
you'll be able to see it from the inside. Heat the joint up again and
pull off the connector, clean up and try again. You'll soon pick it up.
FFS if plumbers can do it, so can you.

All you need know is get the copper clean and bright and don't touch it
for a few minutes after you've finished the joints.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 9 Sep 2013 01:34:19 +0100, Artic wrote:

I did follow a recent thread that seemed to rest on the virtues of

pipe/solder, but these are likely to be the first/last joins of

this
kind that I do for a while. So, I'm not sure it'll be worth

investing
the time/money.

Solder joints are the cheapest option and look the tidiest when
finished.

Under the floor so looks are probably not an issue.

I don't think there will be a lot in it cost wise between plastic and
copper. Pipe might be similar in cost but plastic needs supporting
every 18" or so to avoid large sags, cost of clips and screws.
Plastic pipe will need a proper plastic pipe cutter, copper a small
blow lamp, flux and solder both around 15 to £20?. Plastic fittings
are around 5 times the cost of end fed (don't forget the inserts for
plastic pipe), the saving there will easily pay for a small copper
pipe cutter if the OP doesn't have a hacksaw and file...

It may well come down to the OP already having the abilty to do
soldered joints reliably, there is a bit of skill required. Only the
most cack handed fup up pushfit.

--
Cheers
Dave.