Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cutting notches

I have a reasonable number of notches to be cut into 100 x 47 timbers

Want to cut cross slots 30mm deep so timbers will slot over some 200 x
47 beams, good enough for glue joints.

Want to do the job neatly, and I have 28 of them to do.

I notice that whenever they need to do this sort of thing on any of the
US shows (New Yankee Workshop for example) the use a Dado blade in a
bench saw.
I'm pretty sure you can't fit a Dado blade to most domestic saw benches
(I have a JCB model) only the large commercial machines.

What is the neatest & consistent way of doing these ........ I know I
could mark out, use saw table to make shoulder cuts and chisel out the
rest ... but this will be slow and probably not end up as neat as I want.

I do have a Router table with a Trend T7 ... but not sure if there is an
easy way to use that. Certainly don't have a 47mm wide bit, so it would
require moving wood and bit several times - possibly end up inaccurate.

Any tips & hints ?