Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Victorian house - loft timbers strong enough for loft floor on their own?

A friend of mine is looking at buying a two bed terrace house in Wales which I suspect was built in about 1890. It’s got a “loft conversion” in which the loft space has been boarded and plastered, nicely carpeted and there’s a Velux window.

It all looks very presentable on the photos I’ve seen on the Estate Agent’s website but it’s approached via a loft ladder, not a proper staircase.

My friend is wondering whether they could have a proper staircase fitted.

This set me wondering about the floor of the loft. Mine was built in 1930 and has relatively substantial timbers holding up the ceiling of the bedrooms but I don’t think they’d be strong enough to support a full loft conversion without some serious insertion of joists – but back to the house in question.

I know some Victorian houses are “over engineered”. How likely is it that this house’s loft would not need stronger timbers to support the floor of the loft?

I’d go and do some poking around and measuring but it’s 150 miles away!

New house drips in loft sintv UK diy 6 January 22nd 13 08:50 AM
Loft Insulation for Imperial Joist Spacing and Timbers TheScullster UK diy 7 May 17th 11 08:49 AM
cooling a house by loft extraction Fred UK diy 6 August 9th 10 10:12 PM
Loft insulation. Warm loft, colder bedrooms? [email protected] UK diy 2 October 27th 07 07:52 PM
Board Loft or Loft Conversion Justin Hughes UK diy 8 August 18th 04 01:42 PM