Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default New house drips in loft

I had to fit an aerial in a new house recently. When I opened the hatch a bit of water ran down on to me. In the loft on the roof there were loads of drips, and the plastic bags that the customer had put in loft were covered in drips. Site manager said this was normal and it was just condensation. Cant say Iv seen this before so is it normal?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday 20 January 2013 20:08 sintv wrote in uk.d-i-y:

I had to fit an aerial in a new house recently. When I opened the hatch a
bit of water ran down on to me. In the loft on the roof there were loads
of drips, and the plastic bags that the customer had put in loft were
covered in drips. Site manager said this was normal and it was just
condensation. Cant say Iv seen this before so is it normal?

No, it's not normal.

There is insufficient ventilation in the loft - assuming insulated loft
floor - and/or there is too much warm humid air leaking in from the house,
probably via the loft hatch.

--
Tim Watts Personal Blog: http://www.dionic.net/tim/

If you are reading this from a web interface eg DIY Banter,
DIY Forum or Google Groups, please be aware this is NOT a forum, and
you are merely using a web portal to a USENET group. Many people block
posters coming from web portals due to perceived SPAM or inaneness.
For a better method of access, please see:

"History will be kind to me for I intend to write it."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:

On Sunday 20 January 2013 20:08 sintv wrote in uk.d-i-y:

I had to fit an aerial in a new house recently. When I opened the hatch a
bit of water ran down on to me. In the loft on the roof there were loads
of drips, and the plastic bags that the customer had put in loft were
covered in drips. Site manager said this was normal and it was just
condensation. Cant say Iv seen this before so is it normal?

No, it's not normal.

There is insufficient ventilation in the loft - assuming insulated loft
floor - and/or there is too much warm humid air leaking in from the house,
probably via the loft hatch.

It could be just the evaporation from the plastering if it is a new
build and was plastered in the last couple of weeks.
I experienced it a few weeks ago, had been plastered 2 days before, all
the roof joists were soaking wet, and there was lots of water drops on
the insulation.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/01/2013 21:22, Tim Watts wrote:
On Sunday 20 January 2013 20:08 sintv wrote in uk.d-i-y:

I had to fit an aerial in a new house recently. When I opened the hatch a
bit of water ran down on to me. In the loft on the roof there were loads
of drips, and the plastic bags that the customer had put in loft were
covered in drips. Site manager said this was normal and it was just
condensation. Cant say Iv seen this before so is it normal?

No, it's not normal.

And it will cause rot in the wooden joists which in a new house are
probably barely able to keep the roof up to begin with. I guess it
depends just how new the house is if the plaster is still wet.

There is insufficient ventilation in the loft - assuming insulated loft
floor - and/or there is too much warm humid air leaking in from the house,
probably via the loft hatch.

I'd suspect the insulation has been laid incorrectly so as to prevent
all air exchange in the loft. Seen it before at my parents house which
was similarly badly "well insulated" - the loft was positively dripping
wet when I went in. Thankfully I found it and sorted out some proper
ventilation before any permanent damage was done.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 20, 9:22*pm, Tim Watts wrote:
On Sunday 20 January 2013 20:08 sintv wrote in uk.d-i-y:

I had to fit an aerial in a new house recently. When I opened the hatch a
bit of water ran down on to me. In the loft on the roof there were loads
of drips, and the plastic bags that the customer had put in loft were
covered in drips. Site manager said this was normal and it was just
condensation. Cant say Iv seen this before so is it normal?

No, it's not normal.

There is insufficient ventilation in the loft - assuming insulated loft
floor - and/or there is too much warm humid air leaking in from the house,
probably via the loft hatch.

+1 This needs to be urgently fixed or you will get some sort of
galloping rot up there.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 20, 9:22*pm, Tim Watts wrote:
On Sunday 20 January 2013 20:08 sintv wrote in uk.d-i-y:

I had to fit an aerial in a new house recently. When I opened the hatch a
bit of water ran down on to me. In the loft on the roof there were loads
of drips, and the plastic bags that the customer had put in loft were
covered in drips. Site manager said this was normal and it was just
condensation. Cant say Iv seen this before so is it normal?

No, it's not normal.

IME it is entirely normal. It is not, however, desireable and need
fixing.

MBQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"sintv" wrote in message
I had to fit an aerial in a new house recently. When I opened the hatch a
bit of water ran down on to me. In the loft on the roof there were loads of
drips, and the plastic bags that the customer had put in loft were covered
in drips. Site manager said this was normal and it was just condensation.
Cant say Iv seen this before so is it normal?

It's quite likely that whoever installed the roof/loft insulation has
blocked off the ventilation holes which are usually along the eaves these
days.