Posted to uk.d-i-y
RJH[_2_] RJH[_2_] is offline

Default Victorian house - loft timbers strong enough for loft floor ontheir own?

On 29/08/2013 23:02, wrote:
Murmansk wrote:
A friend of mine is looking at buying a two bed terrace house in Wales
which I suspect was built in about 1890. It’s got a “loft conversion”
in which the loft space has been boarded and plastered, nicely carpeted
and there’s a Velux window.

I'm surprised a 1890s terrace wasn't built with an attic and needed to have
the loft converted. Every 1890s terraced house I've been in in Sheffield
was built with an attic. Was it a typical building technique in Wales to
waste so much interior space like that?

Using the roof space does seem to be a 'Northern thing' IME.

--
Cheers, Rob