Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default B&Q prices

Ran out of 1" x 8 twinthread pozi screws today, so I popped into B&Q on
the way home.

2 packs of 100 came to £5.76 at the checkout, so I presented my
Tradepoint Card, expecting a big discount. It still came to £5.76.

Toolsatan sell 200 for £1.05!!!

Best part of a 450% increase in price.

The screws are still at B&Q......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , The Medway Handyman
scribeth thus
Ran out of 1" x 8 twinthread pozi screws today, so I popped into B&Q on
the way home.

2 packs of 100 came to £5.76 at the checkout, so I presented my
Tradepoint Card, expecting a big discount. It still came to £5.76.

Toolsatan sell 200 for £1.05!!!

Best part of a 450% increase in price.

The screws are still at B&Q......

So why did U go and B&Q in the first place?..

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tony sayer wrote:
In article , The Medway Handyman
scribeth thus
Ran out of 1" x 8 twinthread pozi screws today, so I popped into B&Q on
the way home.

2 packs of 100 came to £5.76 at the checkout, so I presented my
Tradepoint Card, expecting a big discount. It still came to £5.76.

Toolsatan sell 200 for £1.05!!!

Best part of a 450% increase in price.

The screws are still at B&Q......

So why did U go and B&Q in the first place?..

Hope is a wonderful thing ;-)

--
Scott

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/08/2013 18:51, tony sayer wrote:
In article , The Medway Handyman
scribeth thus
Ran out of 1" x 8 twinthread pozi screws today, so I popped into B&Q on
the way home.

2 packs of 100 came to £5.76 at the checkout, so I presented my
Tradepoint Card, expecting a big discount. It still came to £5.76.

Toolsatan sell 200 for £1.05!!!

Best part of a 450% increase in price.

The screws are still at B&Q......

So why did U go and B&Q in the first place?..

"I popped into B&Q on the way home".

We don't yet have a Toolsatan in Medway.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote:

We don't yet have a Toolsatan in Medway.

There's one very conveniently situated for me. A very short walk, as it
happens, from my local B&Q, Screwfix, Homebase, Graham's and Plumbase.
Spoilt for choice, I am.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, August 29, 2013 8:41:12 PM UTC+1, Bert Coules wrote:
There's one very conveniently situated for me. A very short walk, as it
happens, from my local B&Q, Screwfix, Homebase, Graham's and Plumbase.
Spoilt for choice, I am.

My local (7 miles away) Screwfix is next to a Greggs. Now that's what I call synergy.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, August 29, 2013 6:51:58 PM UTC+1, tony sayer wrote:
In article , The Medway Handyman

scribeth thus

Ran out of 1" x 8 twinthread pozi screws today, so I popped into B&Q on

the way home.

2 packs of 100 came to £5.76 at the checkout, so I presented my

Tradepoint Card, expecting a big discount. It still came to £5.76.

Toolsatan sell 200 for £1.05!!!

Best part of a 450% increase in price.

The screws are still at B&Q......

So why did U go and B&Q in the first place?..

I go there a lot less since they "reduced" the closing time from
9.00pm to 8.00pm.
Toolstation open until 7pm, screwfix open to 8pm.

Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Ran out of 1" x 8 twinthread pozi screws today, so I popped into B&Q on
the way home.

2 packs of 100 came to £5.76 at the checkout, so I presented my
Tradepoint Card, expecting a big discount. It still came to £5.76.

Toolsatan sell 200 for £1.05!!!

Best part of a 450% increase in price.

The screws are still at B&Q......

With free next-day delivery on £10 or more orders from Toolstation, I
have not set foot in B&Q for a year or more now.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/08/13 19:08, Bob Minchin wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Ran out of 1" x 8 twinthread pozi screws today, so I popped into B&Q on
the way home.

2 packs of 100 came to £5.76 at the checkout, so I presented my
Tradepoint Card, expecting a big discount. It still came to £5.76.

Toolsatan sell 200 for £1.05!!!

Best part of a 450% increase in price.

The screws are still at B&Q......

With free next-day delivery on £10 or more orders from Toolstation, I
have not set foot in B&Q for a year or more now.

I haven't set food for over ten years.

--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc-ra-cy) €“ a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Ran out of 1" x 8 twinthread pozi screws today, so I popped into B&Q on
the way home.

2 packs of 100 came to £5.76 at the checkout, so I presented my
Tradepoint Card, expecting a big discount. It still came to £5.76.

Toolsatan sell 200 for £1.05!!!

Best part of a 450% increase in price.

The screws are still at B&Q......

With free next-day delivery on £10 or more orders from Toolstation, I
have not set foot in B&Q for a year or more now.

I haven't set food for over ten years.

You must be starving, here have a sandwich.

--
Scott

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Ran out of 1" x 8 twinthread pozi screws today, so I popped into
B&Q on
the way home.

2 packs of 100 came to £5.76 at the checkout, so I presented my
Tradepoint Card, expecting a big discount. It still came to £5.76.

Toolsatan sell 200 for £1.05!!!

Best part of a 450% increase in price.

The screws are still at B&Q......

With free next-day delivery on £10 or more orders from Toolstation,
I have not set foot in B&Q for a year or more now.

I haven't set food for over ten years.

You must be starving, here have a sandwich.

ah good. Very nice. Piccalilli?

--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc-ra-cy) €“ a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Ran out of 1" x 8 twinthread pozi screws today, so I popped into
B&Q on
the way home.

2 packs of 100 came to £5.76 at the checkout, so I presented my
Tradepoint Card, expecting a big discount. It still came to £5.76.

Toolsatan sell 200 for £1.05!!!

Best part of a 450% increase in price.

The screws are still at B&Q......

With free next-day delivery on £10 or more orders from Toolstation,
I have not set foot in B&Q for a year or more now.

I haven't set food for over ten years.

You must be starving, here have a sandwich.

ah good. Very nice. Piccalilli?

Yes, pick any lilli you'd like.

--
Scott

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

I haven't set food for over ten years.

Run out of aspic?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

Ran out of 1" x 8 twinthread pozi screws today, so I popped into B&Q on
the way home.

Wanted some plugless (concrete screw type) frame fixings 8mm x 120mm

Wickes, pack of four somewhere close to £5, Toolsatan pack of 10 £1.92

The screws are still at B&Q......

As are the ones in Wickes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 29 Aug 2013 20:57:11 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

The Medway Handyman wrote:

Ran out of 1" x 8 twinthread pozi screws today, so I popped into B&Q on
the way home.

Wanted some plugless (concrete screw type) frame fixings 8mm x 120mm

Wickes, pack of four somewhere close to £5, Toolsatan pack of 10 £1.92

The screws are still at B&Q......

As are the ones in Wickes.

Wanted some of those bent metal single picture hooks. Pack of ten in
local hardware shop...49p.

B&Q, next time I looked....£7.00!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Ran out of 1" x 8 twinthread pozi screws today, so I popped into B&Q
on the way home.

2 packs of 100 came to £5.76 at the checkout, so I presented my
Tradepoint Card, expecting a big discount. It still came to £5.76.

Toolsatan sell 200 for £1.05!!!

You are missing the obvious solution.

The 2" x 8 screws are only £1.76 for 200 in Toolstation. Chop them in half
to make 400 screws and therefore a 17p saving per 200 screws.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/08/2013 21:25, ARW wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Ran out of 1" x 8 twinthread pozi screws today, so I popped into B&Q
on the way home.

2 packs of 100 came to £5.76 at the checkout, so I presented my
Tradepoint Card, expecting a big discount. It still came to £5.76.

Toolsatan sell 200 for £1.05!!!

You are missing the obvious solution.

The 2" x 8 screws are only £1.76 for 200 in Toolstation. Chop them in half
to make 400 screws and therefore a 17p saving per 200 screws.

Why didn't I think of that?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes, well they are now a consumer retailer, not a trade source, so one
expects such things. Its happened in electronic components, compare Maplin
with a trade seller.
Brian

--
From the Bed of Brian Gaff.
The email is valid as
"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
Ran out of 1" x 8 twinthread pozi screws today, so I popped into B&Q on
the way home.

2 packs of 100 came to £5.76 at the checkout, so I presented my Tradepoint
Card, expecting a big discount. It still came to £5.76.

Toolsatan sell 200 for £1.05!!!

Best part of a 450% increase in price.

The screws are still at B&Q......

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Brian Gaff
scribeth thus
Yes, well they are now a consumer retailer, not a trade source, so one
expects such things. Its happened in electronic components, compare Maplin
with a trade seller.
Brian

Yes they even make RS look cheap;!..

Maplin are like PC world .. useful if all else is closed......
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, August 30, 2013 10:37:36 AM UTC+1, tony sayer wrote:
In article , Brian Gaff

scribeth thus

Yes, well they are now a consumer retailer, not a trade source, so one

expects such things. Its happened in electronic components, compare Maplin

with a trade seller.

Brian

Yes they even make RS look cheap;!..

Maplin are like PC world .. useful if all else is closed......

--

Tony Sayer

Last time I bought screws from B & Q they were made of cheese in India or somewhere exotic.

Their prices for items do vary between shops as I discovered recently

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:

Yes, well they are now a consumer retailer, not a trade source, so one
expects such things.

Wickes seem to play "supermarket games" such as prominently displaying
smaller, more expensive packs on aisle-end displays and larger more
economical packs half-way down the aisle, so they hope you'll see the
former and pick it, without walking to the latter.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andy
Burns writes
Brian Gaff wrote:

Yes, well they are now a consumer retailer, not a trade source, so one
expects such things.

Wickes seem to play "supermarket games" such as prominently displaying
smaller, more expensive packs on aisle-end displays and larger more
economical packs half-way down the aisle, so they hope you'll see the
former and pick it, without walking to the latter.

No supermarkets play the opposite game - large seemingly more economical
packs are actually more expensive.
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/08/2013 21:31 bert wrote:

No supermarkets play the opposite game - large seemingly more economical
packs are actually more expensive.

Morrisons currently have Muller yoghurts in 6-packs at two for £5. Six
single pots work out cheaper and you get to choose your combination of
flavours. Just one example.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 31 Aug 2013 21:49:18 +0100, F wrote:

On 31/08/2013 21:31 bert wrote:

No supermarkets play the opposite game - large seemingly more
economical packs are actually more expensive.

Morrisons currently have Muller yoghurts in 6-packs at two for £5. Six
single pots work out cheaper and you get to choose your combination of
flavours. Just one example.

Couple of weeks ago...next to each other on the shelf...

Coke Zero 12 pack at £6. 8 pack, BOGOF at £4.50.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 31 Aug 2013 21:31:11 +0100, bert wrote:

Wickes seem to play "supermarket games" such as prominently

displaying
smaller, more expensive packs on aisle-end displays and larger

more
economical packs half-way down the aisle, so they hope you'll see

the
former and pick it, without walking to the latter.

No supermarkets play the opposite game - large seemingly more economical
packs are actually more expensive.

And you have to watch the pack sizes. A recent one that has crept in
with a overall pack size reduction is McVities plain chocolate
digestives. Single pack 332g, big value double pack 2 x 300g.

As to Wickes a lot of research goes into buying habits and for some
reason aisle-end stuff attracts more sales and that's without any
other promotional offers.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
On Sat, 31 Aug 2013 21:31:11 +0100, bert wrote:

Wickes seem to play "supermarket games" such as prominently

displaying
smaller, more expensive packs on aisle-end displays and larger

more
economical packs half-way down the aisle, so they hope you'll see

the
former and pick it, without walking to the latter.

No supermarkets play the opposite game - large seemingly more economical
packs are actually more expensive.

And you have to watch the pack sizes. A recent one that has crept in
with a overall pack size reduction is McVities plain chocolate
digestives. Single pack 332g, big value double pack 2 x 300g.

Yes, and in ASDA they usually want £1.75 per pack but sometimes £1, a 75%
reduction? C'mon, cheeky *******s. Needless to say, I stockup at a quid. Yet
others couldn't give a **** of the cost, beats me.

As to Wickes a lot of research goes into buying habits and for some
reason aisle-end stuff attracts more sales and that's without any
other promotional offers.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 01 Sep 2013 00:01:16 +0100 (BST), Dave Liquorice wrote:

No supermarkets play the opposite game - large seemingly more economical
packs are actually more expensive.

And you have to watch the pack sizes. A recent one that has crept in
with a overall pack size reduction is McVities plain chocolate
digestives. Single pack 332g, big value double pack 2 x 300g.

Morrisons loo rolls offer 12 for the price of 10. The 4-packs have 240
sheets/roll, the 12-pack has 220 s/r. 12x20=240, so actually 11 for 10.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/08/2013 07:12, Brian Gaff wrote:
Yes, well they are now a consumer retailer, not a trade source, so one
expects such things. Its happened in electronic components, compare Maplin
with a trade seller.

It must be 20 years ago that Maplin pretended to be a trade supplier.
These days they are an expensive toys for boys high street retailer.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/08/2013 06:04, alan wrote:
On 30/08/2013 07:12, Brian Gaff wrote:
Yes, well they are now a consumer retailer, not a trade source, so one
expects such things. Its happened in electronic components, compare
Maplin
with a trade seller.

It must be 20 years ago that Maplin pretended to be a trade supplier.
These days they are an expensive toys for boys high street retailer.

agreed.

If I need to buy capacitors or resistors, its Mouser, Digikey or
Farnells for me......

However I had to make a distress purchase yesterday from Maplim. 1k
resistors for my PIRs to set up double balanced wiring.

36p each in Maplins compared to 3p each from Mouser/Digikey/Farnells....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, August 31, 2013 10:30:47 AM UTC+1, Stephen wrote:
However I had to make a distress purchase yesterday from Maplim. 1k
resistors for my PIRs to set up double balanced wiring.
36p each in Maplins compared to 3p each from Mouser/Digikey/Farnells....

Last time I bought resistors from Maplin they were 2p each. But that was before they spent loads of money on shops and the internet and it was all done by ladies in Southend stuffing things into jiffybags.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/08/2013 10:30, Stephen wrote:

If I need to buy capacitors or resistors, its Mouser, Digikey or
Farnells for me......

There is also Rapid Electronics
http://www.rapidonline.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Stephen wrote:
On 31/08/2013 06:04, alan wrote:
On 30/08/2013 07:12, Brian Gaff wrote:
Yes, well they are now a consumer retailer, not a trade source, so one
expects such things. Its happened in electronic components, compare
Maplin
with a trade seller.

It must be 20 years ago that Maplin pretended to be a trade supplier.
These days they are an expensive toys for boys high street retailer.

agreed.

If I need to buy capacitors or resistors, its Mouser, Digikey or
Farnells for me......

Mouser and Digikey have a very high minimum charge - and also postage
costs in the UK.

However I had to make a distress purchase yesterday from Maplim. 1k
resistors for my PIRs to set up double balanced wiring.

36p each in Maplins compared to 3p each from Mouser/Digikey/Farnells....

CPC is probably the best bet in the UK for small orders - often free
postage.

--
*Gun Control: Use both hands.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 31 Aug 2013 14:08:29 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Stephen wrote:
On 31/08/2013 06:04, alan wrote:
On 30/08/2013 07:12, Brian Gaff wrote:
Yes, well they are now a consumer retailer, not a trade source, so
one expects such things. Its happened in electronic components,
compare Maplin with a trade seller.

It must be 20 years ago that Maplin pretended to be a trade supplier.
These days they are an expensive toys for boys high street retailer.

agreed.

If I need to buy capacitors or resistors, its Mouser, Digikey or
Farnells for me......

Mouser and Digikey have a very high minimum charge - and also postage
costs in the UK.

Last time I used Digikey, it was free postage for orders over 50 quid. I
know that's a lot, but good for 'stocking up'.

However I had to make a distress purchase yesterday from Maplim. 1k
resistors for my PIRs to set up double balanced wiring.

36p each in Maplins compared to 3p each from
Mouser/Digikey/Farnells....

CPC is probably the best bet in the UK for small orders - often free
postage.

Always free postage these days...although it's possible it may not last.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 31 Aug 2013 14:08:29 +0100
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

In article ,
Stephen wrote:
On 31/08/2013 06:04, alan wrote:
On 30/08/2013 07:12, Brian Gaff wrote:
Yes, well they are now a consumer retailer, not a trade source,
so one expects such things. Its happened in electronic
components, compare Maplin
with a trade seller.

It must be 20 years ago that Maplin pretended to be a trade
supplier. These days they are an expensive toys for boys high
street retailer.

agreed.

If I need to buy capacitors or resistors, its Mouser, Digikey or
Farnells for me......

Mouser and Digikey have a very high minimum charge - and also postage
costs in the UK.

When I wanted some items from Farnells, they also wanted a minimum
charge much greater than what I wanted in actual parts cost. I think I
got them from CPC.
--
Davey.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
Ran out of 1" x 8 twinthread pozi screws today, so I popped into B&Q on
the way home.

2 packs of 100 came to £5.76 at the checkout, so I presented my Tradepoint
Card, expecting a big discount. It still came to £5.76.

Somethings are cheaper on a Tradepoint card than B&Q but you must order them
out of their catalogue ..Screwfix style (not Gangnam!). They do the picking.

mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ran out of 1" x 8 twinthread pozi screws today, so I popped into B&Q on
the way home.

2 packs of 100 came to £5.76 at the checkout, so I presented my
Tradepoint Card, expecting a big discount. It still came to £5.76.

Toolsatan sell 200 for £1.05!!!

Best part of a 450% increase in price.

The screws are still at B&Q......

Noticed lately many items at Screwfix are about 30-40% higher than at
Toolstation.
They have developed their name in the market and Screwfix now seem to be
ripping people off.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Rick Hughes wrote:
Noticed lately many items at Screwfix are about 30-40% higher than at
Toolstation.
They have developed their name in the market and Screwfix now seem to be
ripping people off.

Well, they are owned by B&Q, so only to be expected.

--
*I'm not a paranoid, deranged millionaire. Dammit, I'm a billionaire.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ran out of 1" x 8 twinthread pozi screws today

Oh FFS, you're whinging about paying an extra 2.3p per screw.

Because you ran out of screws. Is that your customer's fault?

I bet you charge a damn site more than 10p per dozen

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 31 Aug 2013 01:39:46 +0100, Jim Newman wrote:

Ran out of 1" x 8 twinthread pozi screws today

Oh FFS, you're whinging about paying an extra 2.3p per screw.

Because you ran out of screws. Is that your customer's fault?

I bet you charge a damn site more than 10p per dozen

Are you an unbeliever?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/08/2013 01:39, Jim Newman wrote:
Ran out of 1" x 8 twinthread pozi screws today

Oh FFS, you're whinging about paying an extra 2.3p per screw.

No, I'm pointing out a 450% difference in prices, idiot.

Because you ran out of screws. Is that your customer's fault?

Who mentioned a customer?

I bet you charge a damn site more than 10p per dozen

I don't charge for screws at all, dimwit.

Used car prices: UP HeyBub[_3_] Home Repair 44 November 17th 12 01:52 PM
B&Q prices. The Medway Handyman UK diy 58 January 4th 12 03:15 PM
CFL Prices Vortex3 UK diy 7 May 9th 08 12:10 AM
gas prices 7/12/05 Caesar Romano Home Repair 5 July 12th 05 01:07 AM
Prices of CD`s Ken G. Electronics Repair 5 January 20th 04 09:04 PM