Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Tiny washer/circlips

There's a fairly common style of small internal circlip which has three
inward-facing lobes, so that it works as a washer as well as a circlip,
but I don't know what these are called.

I've got a spring-loaded centre punch, nothing expensive, whose circlip
has fractured, and if I knew where to buy a replacment it might just
possibly be worth while.

Anyone know the correct description, and/or where to buy just a few?

--
Windmill, Use t m i l l
J.R.R. Tolkien:- @ S c o t s h o m e . c o m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Windmill wrote:

There's a fairly common style of small internal circlip which has three
inward-facing lobes, so that it works as a washer as well as a circlip,
but I don't know what these are called.

E Clip.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/08/2013 11:57, Andy Burns wrote:
Windmill wrote:

There's a fairly common style of small internal circlip which has three
inward-facing lobes, so that it works as a washer as well as a circlip,
but I don't know what these are called.

E Clip.

Just enter "e circlip" in the search box of eBay and you will be spoilt
for choice.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 18 Aug 2013 11:57:23 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

Windmill wrote:

There's a fairly common style of small internal circlip which has three
inward-facing lobes, so that it works as a washer as well as a circlip,
but I don't know what these are called.

E Clip.

Of course, they are external rather than internal.

I wonder if the OP actually meant internal (circlip inside a housing) of
external (circlip round a rod or similar).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/08/2013 06:02, Windmill wrote:
There's a fairly common style of small internal circlip which has three
inward-facing lobes, so that it works as a washer as well as a circlip,
but I don't know what these are called.

I've got a spring-loaded centre punch, nothing expensive, whose circlip
has fractured, and if I knew where to buy a replacment it might just
possibly be worth while.

Anyone know the correct description, and/or where to buy just a few?

If it looks like these;
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...egoryId_255228

its a E clip.

I've got an assortment if you only need 1.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Windmill wrote:

There's a fairly common style of small internal circlip which has three
inward-facing lobes, so that it works as a washer as well as a circlip,
but I don't know what these are called.

E Clip.

Just enter "e circlip" in the search box of eBay and you will be spoilt
for choice.

Thanks all. Knowing the proper name is vital!

BTW I think I should have said 'external', not 'internal'.

--
Windmill, Use t m i l l
J.R.R. Tolkien:- @ S c o t s h o m e . c o m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Windmill wrote:

There's a fairly common style of small internal circlip which has three
inward-facing lobes, so that it works as a washer as well as a circlip,
but I don't know what these are called.

E Clip.

Of course, they are external rather than internal.

I wonder if the OP actually meant internal (circlip inside a housing) of
external (circlip round a rod or similar).

No, just hadn't engaged brain before operating keyboard.

--
Windmill, Use t m i l l
J.R.R. Tolkien:- @ S c o t s h o m e . c o m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman writes:

On 18/08/2013 06:02, Windmill wrote:
There's a fairly common style of small internal circlip which has three
inward-facing lobes, so that it works as a washer as well as a circlip,
but I don't know what these are called.

I've got a spring-loaded centre punch, nothing expensive, whose circlip
has fractured, and if I knew where to buy a replacment it might just
possibly be worth while.

Anyone know the correct description, and/or where to buy just a few?

If it looks like these;
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...egoryId_255228

its a E clip.

I've got an assortment if you only need 1.

Very good of you to offer. If I can't buy an assortment for future use,
I'll try to measure with calipers and then get back to you.

--
Windmill, Use t m i l l
J.R.R. Tolkien:- @ S c o t s h o m e . c o m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 18 Aug 2013 14:22:04 +0100, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

Yes same issue on a Denon Cassette deck rewind spindle here. Really
annoying isn't it?

Aren't they a plastic material, maybe even just a very flexible thin washer with
a round hole in the middle?

Tiny house Grimly Curmudgeon[_3_] UK diy 63 December 31st 12 01:41 PM
Tiny, tiny metalwork - chip re-soldering Tom Gardner[_2_] Metalworking 20 June 24th 08 04:21 PM
Tiny Spiders AE Todd Home Repair 3 August 13th 07 04:24 PM
Tiny air conditioner _DD Home Repair 10 April 24th 06 03:40 PM
Tiny second loo! [email protected] UK diy 9 September 25th 05 11:08 AM