Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default More scamming cold callers

Alzheimer mother was getting pestered by some company (I wrote the name down
but can't find it now). They phoned up and presumably went through a list of
building items before they hit upon a back door, which she wants replaced.
Most of the time she tells them to ring back on a specific day and time when
she knows I'll be here.

Anyway, they phoned back and spoke to me, the lady said they were a
"Government Approved" company who fitted doors and windows, and that because
mum is over 65, it's "subsidised" for about a third off. She kept using the
words Government, scheme and subsidised in the same sentence. So I asked
what specific Govt or local council scheme this was part of. She couldn't
answer. Long story short, she admitted that the "subsidy" was just that
their supplier sold them doors and windows at bulk discount because they
bought huge amounts. The "Government scheme" didn't exist, the only link to
the Govt was that their windows and doors met efficiency standards. She
disappeared and passed me on to her manager in the end, who pretty much
repeated what the saleswoman had said.

I asked them not to contact again, and touch wood they haven't yet. But to a
(confused) elderly person, it must have sounded like this was an official
scheme, backed by the Government and subsidised for old people like the
insulation/central heating stuff used to be. Disgraceful.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/08/2013 19:26, Mentalguy2k8 wrote:
[...]

+1. My late mother suffered from these for a while. I'm worrying about
how I will cope when the time comes. I'm tempted to get some cards
printed to hand out, which just say "F*** off", perhaps with a backup
with the kids' phone numbers for the really persistent.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

"Jethro_uk" wrote in message
On Tue, 13 Aug 2013 19:26:27 +0100, Mentalguy2k8 wrote:

[...]

Out of interest, what is the legal situation, had your mother "signed
up" ? In the same way a contract with a minor would be invalid, assuming
someone has power of attorney for your mother, would any contract with
her be similarly invalid ?

Giving someone power of attorney does not remove your ability to make (daft)
decisions yourself. You would need someone to declare you incapax so that
your decision were null and void. I run my mother-in-law's affairs under
POA but she can and does still sign cheques - she is not gaga.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, August 14, 2013 12:48:42 PM UTC+1, Geoff Pearson wrote:
"Jethro_uk" wrote in message

Out of interest, what is the legal situation, had your mother "signed
up" ? In the same way a contract with a minor would be invalid, assuming
someone has power of attorney for your mother, would any contract with
her be similarly invalid ?

Giving someone power of attorney does not remove your ability to make (daft)
decisions yourself. You would need someone to declare you incapax so that
your decision were null and void. I run my mother-in-law's affairs under
POA but she can and does still sign cheques - she is not gaga.

To expand: Whether the OP's mother has mental capacity to enter
contracts and whether somebody has power of attorney are two independent
questions. All four combinations are possible.

Note also that normal power of attorney (the power to act on someone's
behalf) lapses as soon as the donor loses capacity. It is only
Enduring (new) or Lasting (old) powers of attorney that survive the
loss of capacity.

Note also that "No, she doesn't have mental capacity" and "No, nobody
has lasting/enduring power of attorney" is an inconvenient and expensive
position to get to. It is possible to go to the Court of Protection
and gain the necessary powers, but it is worth avoiding.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mentalguy2k8 wrote:
[...]

I think if my mother were to start losing her marbles I'd buy her a Truecall
unit and set it up to *only* pass calls through from a "white list" and not
ring at all for un-recognised numbers.

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jethro_uk" wrote in message

[...]

Indeed. I have had enduring powers for several people - some with capacity,
others not. Everyone should set up am enduring/lasting power for the day
you don't know yet is coming.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 14 Aug 2013 05:27:35 -0700 (PDT), Martin Bonner wrote:

Note also that normal power of attorney (the power to act on someone's
behalf) lapses as soon as the donor loses capacity. It is only
Enduring (new) or Lasting (old) powers of attorney that survive the
loss of capacity.

Er, arse about face with "enduring" and "lasting".

The old system was "enduring", they can still be used if made and
signed before Oct 2007. The system now is for "Lasting Power of
Attorney" in two forms "Property and Financial Affairs" or "Health
and Welfare". The Health and Welfare one can only be used when the
donor has gone gaga.

Each LPA has to be registered with the Office of the Public Guardian
and costs £130. So for a couple taking out both forms of LPA mutually
the bill is £520.

https://www.gov.uk/power-of-attorney/overview

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 14 Aug 2013 15:48:37 +0100, "Tim Downie"
wrote:

Mentalguy2k8 wrote:
[...]

But then she would not be able to receive calls from the Police,
Doctors or Hospital if she needed to.
--
(\__/) M.
(")_(") is he still wrong?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Mentalguy2k8 wrote:
[...]

How often do the police need to ring her? Doctors and hospital should give
out a switchboard number at the very least.

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Mentalguy2k8 wrote:
[...]

How long is a piece of string? ;-)

Doctors and hospital should give
out a switchboard number at the very least.

They should, but they don't.
--
(\__/) M.
(")_(") is he still wrong?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Mentalguy2k8 wrote:
I think if my mother were to start losing her marbles I'd buy her a Truecall
unit and set it up to *only* pass calls through from a "white list" and not
ring at all for un-recognised numbers.

But then she would not be able to receive calls from the Police,
Doctors or Hospital if she needed to.

How often do the police need to ring her? Doctors and hospital should give
out a switchboard number at the very least.

Doctors and hospitals here come up as 'number withheld'.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

F wrote:

wrote:

Mentalguy2k8 wrote:
I think if my mother were to start losing her marbles I'd buy her
a Truecall unit and set it up to *only* pass calls through from a
"white list" and not ring at all for un-recognised numbers.

But then she would not be able to receive calls from the Police,
Doctors or Hospital if she needed to.

How often do the police need to ring her? Doctors and hospital
should give out a switchboard number at the very least.

Doctors and hospitals here come up as 'number withheld'.

Which is disgraceful.

I've never understood why it's considered okay for some hospitals (and other
institutions) to withhold their number. If I were to go around ringing
folks' doorbells wearing a paperbag over my head or a balaclava it would be
considered unacceptable.

The simple answer is to block all such calls and force the institutions to
change their policies. If it can work in Ayrshire (when hospitals
discovered that they couldn't contact patients), it could work anywhere.

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Mentalguy2k8 wrote:
[...]

She can still ring them though.

Doctors and hospital should give
out a switchboard number at the very least.

They should, but they don't.

So force them to change. Block all withheld numbers. Worked in Ayrshire.

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 15 Aug 2013 11:25:57 +0100, "Tim Downie"
wrote:

F wrote:

wrote:

Mentalguy2k8 wrote:
I think if my mother were to start losing her marbles I'd buy her
a Truecall unit and set it up to *only* pass calls through from a
"white list" and not ring at all for un-recognised numbers.

But then she would not be able to receive calls from the Police,
Doctors or Hospital if she needed to.

How often do the police need to ring her? Doctors and hospital
should give out a switchboard number at the very least.

Doctors and hospitals here come up as 'number withheld'.

And here.

Which is disgraceful.

I've never understood why it's considered okay for some hospitals (and other
institutions) to withhold their number. If I were to go around ringing
folks' doorbells wearing a paperbag over my head or a balaclava it would be
considered unacceptable.

I totally agree. However I have had this discussion with many people
and consider we are in a minority. I have heard all sorts of lame
excuses for why they withhold their number such as:

- Their call might alert someone else that the intended recipient has
been contacted by a medical organisation and they might want to keep
it secret.
- Their switchboard can't (present a number).
- Their switchboard can only present one number and not their direct
dial number.

I don't accept any of these as valid reasons for withholding their
number.

The simple answer is to block all such calls and force the institutions to
change their policies. If it can work in Ayrshire (when hospitals
discovered that they couldn't contact patients), it could work anywhere.

It hasn't worked here.
--
(\__/) M.
(")_(") is he still wrong?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

F wrote:

wrote:

Mentalguy2k8 wrote:
[...]

Yet. It takes time but when our hospital realised how many folk were
missing appointments or were unable to take advantage of cancellations they
started presenting a switchboard number. Problem solved.

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

F wrote:

wrote:

Mentalguy2k8 wrote:
[...]

I wonder how many hospitals would figure this out rather than just
accept it as unexplained.
--
(\__/) M.
(")_(") is he still wrong?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I've never understood why it's considered okay for some hospitals (and other
institutions) to withhold their number. If I were to go around ringing
folks' doorbells wearing a paperbag over my head or a balaclava it would be
considered unacceptable.

But wear a burqa and apparently it is

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

F wrote:

wrote:

Mentalguy2k8 wrote:
[...]

what normally happens is the git programming the hospital PABX has the
option of 'present a single number, present actual callers DDI, or
present nothing (default) '

I actually had think about that, but being a commercial company we opted
for 'give our main number'

But lots of people never even get asked the question.

And as long as it is not an 'issue' on some 'manaqement' radar, it
doesn't get (trivially) fixed.

Same thing happen when email starts getting rejected for 'invalid
sender' reasons. people fix it, or bugger off.
..
Of course the NHS can do what it likes with your money.

Tim

--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc-ra-cy) €“ a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
Tim+ wrote:

[Snip]

Yet. It takes time but when our hospital realised how many folk were
missing appointments or were unable to take advantage of cancellations
they started presenting a switchboard number. Problem solved.

It prbably depends on how big the organisation is. The caller will ring
back and say "you rang me?". With a small organisation a good swichboard
operator will be able to make sense of this call, but a big place, it's
open to doubt.

I recall in the dim and distant past, tryong to contacta colleague who
worked at Alexandrra palace which had a manual exchange. I asked for the
extention by number, to be told, "he's having coffee in thecanteen at th
moment, shall I page him?" That sort of thing only works with small sites.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/08/2013 11:27, Tim Downie wrote:
So force them to change. Block all withheld numbers. Worked in Ayrshire.

What worked in Ayrshire?

Have to say, it is the unpredictability of such calls that makes them
difficult to manage. Might be many years between calls from a hospital
so you might not even have questioned whether they have a presentation
number. When they need to get through urgently is too late.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

polygonum wrote:
On 15/08/2013 11:27, Tim Downie wrote:
So force them to change. Block all withheld numbers. Worked in Ayrshire.

What worked in Ayrshire?

Hospitals gave up withholding their number.

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

F wrote:

wrote:

Mentalguy2k8 wrote:
I think if my mother were to start losing her marbles I'd buy her a
Truecall
unit and set it up to *only* pass calls through from a "white list"
and not
ring at all for un-recognised numbers.

But then she would not be able to receive calls from the Police,
Doctors or Hospital if she needed to.

How often do the police need to ring her? Doctors and hospital should
give
out a switchboard number at the very least.

Doctors and hospitals here come up as 'number withheld'.

Mine doesn't, and nor do the other medical teams I deal with.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 15 Aug 2013 19:47:53 +0100, Tim+
wrote:

polygonum wrote:
On 15/08/2013 11:27, Tim Downie wrote:
So force them to change. Block all withheld numbers. Worked in Ayrshire.

What worked in Ayrshire?

Hospitals gave up withholding their number.

Do you/anyone have a link to any article that reports this? I'd like
to show it to some doubters.
--
(\__/) M.
(")_(") is he still wrong?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

polygonum wrote:
On 15/08/2013 11:27, Tim Downie wrote:
So force them to change. Block all withheld numbers. Worked in
Ayrshire.

What worked in Ayrshire?

Hospitals gave up withholding their number.

Do you/anyone have a link to any article that reports this? I'd like
to show it to some doubters.

Alas no. My wife works in one of the hospitals concerned and it was only
something she heard whilst at work.

Tim

Friggin cold phone callers brass monkey UK diy 198 March 17th 13 06:48 PM
Re. friggin cold phone callers 2 Tim Lamb[_2_] UK diy 3 March 15th 13 07:04 PM
OT Dealing with cold callers Hugh - in either England or Spain UK diy 19 October 30th 12 11:16 AM
OT cold callers Alan[_10_] UK diy 3 January 8th 12 12:18 AM
PITA cold callers about insulation grants brass monkey UK diy 35 July 31st 11 12:35 AM