Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal
Geoff Pearson Geoff Pearson is offline

Default More scamming cold callers

"Jethro_uk" wrote in message
On Tue, 13 Aug 2013 19:26:27 +0100, Mentalguy2k8 wrote:

Alzheimer mother was getting pestered by some company (I wrote the name
down but can't find it now). They phoned up and presumably went through
a list of building items before they hit upon a back door, which she
wants replaced. Most of the time she tells them to ring back on a
specific day and time when she knows I'll be here.

Anyway, they phoned back and spoke to me, the lady said they were a
"Government Approved" company who fitted doors and windows, and that
because mum is over 65, it's "subsidised" for about a third off. She
kept using the words Government, scheme and subsidised in the same
sentence. So I asked what specific Govt or local council scheme this was
part of. She couldn't answer. Long story short, she admitted that the
"subsidy" was just that their supplier sold them doors and windows at
bulk discount because they bought huge amounts. The "Government scheme"
didn't exist, the only link to the Govt was that their windows and doors
met efficiency standards. She disappeared and passed me on to her
manager in the end, who pretty much repeated what the saleswoman had
said.

I asked them not to contact again, and touch wood they haven't yet. But
to a (confused) elderly person, it must have sounded like this was an
official scheme, backed by the Government and subsidised for old people
like the insulation/central heating stuff used to be. Disgraceful.

Out of interest, what is the legal situation, had your mother "signed
up" ? In the same way a contract with a minor would be invalid, assuming
someone has power of attorney for your mother, would any contract with
her be similarly invalid ?

Giving someone power of attorney does not remove your ability to make (daft)
decisions yourself. You would need someone to declare you incapax so that
your decision were null and void. I run my mother-in-law's affairs under
POA but she can and does still sign cheques - she is not gaga.