Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default High Security = Low Security

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

A lot of key profiles were notionally protected by patents,
and they expired some years ago so anyone can make them now.

But the manufacturers slightly re-jig the design every few years so they
always have designs covered by patents

e.g. Assa Abbloy have protec which expires in 2019, novel and sentry
which expire in 2027.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
In article ,
charles writes:
In article , D.M.Chapman
wrote:
In article , polygonum
wrote:

If the lock is one where specific authorisation is required to get a
copy made, then that does indeed go some way towards stopping there
being any copies out there. Though I am sure many people here could
somehow knock up a replica of some sort that would function, so it is
not a guarantee.

When I was a student (20 years back now...) our room keys were marked
"Do
not duplicate" and where apparantly licenced so blanks couldn't be
obtained.

Was fairly well known the the guy in the market who cut keys for a quid
would also cut these one - he just charged a fiver for them :-)

I'd not trust "no one is allowed to copy the key". It'll make things
harder maybe, but near impossible to prevent completely.

especially as it was ruled an interference with free trading to restrict
the issue of blanks.

A lot of key profiles were notionally protected by patents,
and they expired some years ago so anyone can make them now.

I was thinking, in a few years time when everyone has 3D printers, they can
make their own copies (though obviously not random ones from code numbers)

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Andrew Gabriel wrote:

A lot of key profiles were notionally protected by patents,
and they expired some years ago so anyone can make them now.

But the manufacturers slightly re-jig the design every few years so they
always have designs covered by patents

How does that work with replacement keys for locks in situ?

(which is where I am sitting)

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tim..... wrote:

"Andy Burns" wrote:

the manufacturers slightly re-jig the design every few years so they
always have designs covered by patents

How does that work with replacement keys for locks in situ?

Presume they have to relent on keys for the out of patent ones, and
would tend to charge more for the ones with longer protection remaining?

High Security Cluster Boxes? SMS Home Repair 9 May 26th 13 09:52 PM
'high security' ring main jim UK diy 70 August 27th 11 02:35 PM
High power 500 watt security lamp replacements?.. tony sayer UK diy 15 October 31st 10 10:22 AM
Want small security camera for internal security G Wood Home Repair 7 October 6th 07 04:12 AM
Best high-security locks Linux Exposer Home Repair 3 January 9th 06 01:00 AM