Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Mains plugs wire entry point

Most of my plugs the wire entry point is on the end where there are
two pins. Now I have some where the wire entry is at the earth pin
end.

This means the plugs won't plug into a multiplier as there is no space
next to the wall.

Is there a solution, adapter, work round ?

please no "don't use multipliers " responses.

Chris

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/07/2013 19:27, wrote:
Most of my plugs the wire entry point is on the end where there are
two pins. Now I have some where the wire entry is at the earth pin
end.

Plugs like this?

http://i912.photobucket.com/albums/a...tc-adaptor.jpg

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 28 Jul 2013 09:30:25 +0100, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

I've seen this on those Chinese wall warts. I wonder why they do that?

Brian

I suspect he is referring to wall warts, I don't think I have ever
seen a normal plug with top cable entry.

On a related point,
The Chinese wall-wart manufacturers do seem to seem to have this idea
that our 13A sockets are mounted with the earth-pin downwards, because
the regulatory labeling is often upside-down. I have several
examples.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 28 Jul 2013 14:34:48 +0100, Graham. wrote:

The Chinese wall-wart manufacturers do seem to seem to have this idea
that our 13A sockets are mounted with the earth-pin downwards, because
the regulatory labeling is often upside-down. I have several
examples.

In some ways, for a wallwart, top cable exit is preferable. For the
normal lowish level socket and device higher up (on a table) it means
the cable just goes straight up it doesn't get bent as it leaves the
wart.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I've seen this on those Chinese wall warts. I wonder why they do that?

Brian

I suspect he is referring to wall warts, I don't think I have ever
seen a normal plug with top cable entry.

On a related point,
The Chinese wall-wart manufacturers do seem to seem to have this idea
that our 13A sockets are mounted with the earth-pin downwards, because
the regulatory labeling is often upside-down. I have several
examples.

another reason is that many older sockets are in the skirting board so low
that ther isn't room for a bottom exit wall-wart. True in this house.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/07/2013 14:34, Graham. wrote:
On a related point,
The Chinese wall-wart manufacturers do seem to seem to have this idea
that our 13A sockets are mounted with the earth-pin downwards, because
the regulatory labeling is often upside-down.

So are Chinese 13A sockets mounted on the wall earth pin down?

--
Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 28 Jul 2013 19:56:46 +0100, polygonum
wrote:

On 28/07/2013 14:34, Graham. wrote:
On a related point,
The Chinese wall-wart manufacturers do seem to seem to have this idea
that our 13A sockets are mounted with the earth-pin downwards, because
the regulatory labeling is often upside-down.

So are Chinese 13A sockets mounted on the wall earth pin down?

I doubt they have 13A sockets, but a Google Image search suggests that
3 pin outlets in foreign parts are often earth pin down, and the US in
particular seems to have no fixed convention, and can be up, down or
sideways.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:

I've seen this on those Chinese wall warts. I wonder why they do that?

Well, it seems more logical in most applications. After all the
computer/disk drive/whatever is unlikely to be lower down than the
socket in most applications.

--
Burn Hollywood burn, burn down to the ground
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 28/07/2013 14:34, Graham. wrote:
On a related point,
The Chinese wall-wart manufacturers do seem to seem to have this idea
that our 13A sockets are mounted with the earth-pin downwards, because
the regulatory labeling is often upside-down.

So are Chinese 13A sockets mounted on the wall earth pin down?

I doubt they have 13A sockets, but a Google Image search suggests that
3 pin outlets in foreign parts are often earth pin down, and the US in
particular seems to have no fixed convention, and can be up, down or
sideways.

I think you'll find they do:

http://www.discoverhongkong.com/us/p...nd-voltage.jsp

Though not everywhere in the China.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 28/07/2013 14:34, Graham. wrote:
On a related point,
The Chinese wall-wart manufacturers do seem to seem to have this
idea that our 13A sockets are mounted with the earth-pin
downwards, because the regulatory labeling is often upside-down.

So are Chinese 13A sockets mounted on the wall earth pin down?

I doubt they have 13A sockets, but a Google Image search suggests
that 3 pin outlets in foreign parts are often earth pin down, and
the US in particular seems to have no fixed convention, and can be
up, down or sideways.

I think you'll find they do:

http://www.discoverhongkong.com/us/p...nd-voltage.jsp

Though not everywhere in the China.

When I lived in the US, I looked for the official way of mounting their
sockets, and it turned out to be the illogical 'ground pin on the
bottom', so that anything dropping onto a slightly unplugged plug would
automatically short out the two power pins. And with no shutter
mechanism, these pins would still be live.
-
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 29 Jul 2013 10:00:30 +0100, Davey wrote:

When I lived in the US, I looked for the official way of mounting their
sockets, and it turned out to be the illogical 'ground pin on the
bottom', so that anything dropping onto a slightly unplugged plug would
automatically short out the two power pins.

The power pins aren't sleeved for the 1/4" or so adjacent to the plug
body?

And with no shutter mechanism, these pins would still be live.

Even with the shutter the pins are still live but UK plugs should now
have sleeved pins.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 29 Jul 2013 10:36:08 +0100 (BST)
"Dave Liquorice" wrote:

On Mon, 29 Jul 2013 10:00:30 +0100, Davey wrote:

When I lived in the US, I looked for the official way of mounting
their sockets, and it turned out to be the illogical 'ground pin on
the bottom', so that anything dropping onto a slightly unplugged
plug would automatically short out the two power pins.

The power pins aren't sleeved for the 1/4" or so adjacent to the plug
body?

No! At least, not when I left in late 2010, and there was no talk of
any sleeving then. And plugs don't have fuses, either.

And with no shutter mechanism, these pins would still be live.

Even with the shutter the pins are still live but UK plugs should now
have sleeved pins.

What was the point of the shutter if it didn't kill power to the pins?
--
Davey.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 29 Jul 2013 11:05:52 +0100, Davey wrote:

No! At least, not when I left in late 2010, and there was no talk of
any sleeving then. And plugs don't have fuses, either.

US plugs don't need to fused as the US wiring system is radial not
ring.

What was the point of the shutter if it didn't kill power to the pins?

To prevent easy access to the possibly live parts in the socket when
there is no plug inserted.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Replacement cord grip/strain reliefs for mains/IEC plugs? Michael Kilpatrick[_2_] UK diy 10 June 21st 12 05:45 PM
Bad 'Mains test plugs' ? T i m UK diy 23 August 21st 06 09:50 PM
Foreign mains plugs - supplier? SlapHead UK diy 8 June 26th 06 11:18 AM
fused British mains plugs Franc Zabkar Electronics Repair 5 December 23rd 03 03:44 PM
relocating mains water entry point Niel A. Farrow UK diy 2 September 30th 03 12:18 AM