Posted to uk.d-i-y
Davey Davey is offline

Default Mains plugs wire entry point

On Sun, 28 Jul 2013 21:57:52 +0100
polygonum wrote:

On 28/07/2013 20:48, Graham. wrote:
On Sun, 28 Jul 2013 19:56:46 +0100, polygonum
wrote:

On 28/07/2013 14:34, Graham. wrote:
On a related point,
The Chinese wall-wart manufacturers do seem to seem to have this
idea that our 13A sockets are mounted with the earth-pin
downwards, because the regulatory labeling is often upside-down.

So are Chinese 13A sockets mounted on the wall earth pin down?

I doubt they have 13A sockets, but a Google Image search suggests
that 3 pin outlets in foreign parts are often earth pin down, and
the US in particular seems to have no fixed convention, and can be
up, down or sideways.

I think you'll find they do:

http://www.discoverhongkong.com/us/p...nd-voltage.jsp

Though not everywhere in the China.

When I lived in the US, I looked for the official way of mounting their
sockets, and it turned out to be the illogical 'ground pin on the
bottom', so that anything dropping onto a slightly unplugged plug would
automatically short out the two power pins. And with no shutter
mechanism, these pins would still be live.
-
Davey.