Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default dyson died

me dyson stopped mid hoover - as if someone turned off the socket - which they didn't & it still works a test lamp.

Used me Bosch multi detector to establish there is mains in the dyson flex so fuse is OK...

took a few bits off it & the motor feels warm/hot but not hugely...

Now what?

Cheers
Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim K" wrote in message
me dyson stopped mid hoover - as if someone turned off the socket - which
they didn't & it still works a test lamp.

Used me Bosch multi detector to establish there is mains in the dyson flex
so fuse is OK...

took a few bits off it & the motor feels warm/hot but not hugely...

Now what?

Cheers
Jim K

There's (at least on mine) an internal thermal cut-out which should re-set
itself after half an hour or so.

Stephen

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/07/2013 16:40, Jim K wrote:
me dyson stopped mid hoover - as if someone turned off the socket - which they didn't & it still works a test lamp.

Used me Bosch multi detector to establish there is mains in the dyson flex so fuse is OK...

took a few bits off it & the motor feels warm/hot but not hugely...

Now what?

Cheers
Jim K

Ours did that. The mains flex broke inside the machine, close to the on
switch. I shortened the cable by a couple of cm at a time until
continuity was restored, testing using the ohms range of a multimeter,
then re-terminated the cable and re-assembled. Spade connectors from a
car spares shop worked OK.

When it failed a second time within months, I replaced the Dyson
original cable with a generic flex and it's not failed again since.

See here for destructions:
http://dysonmedic.com/DC04%20Folder/DC04%20Cable.html
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 26 Jul 2013 16:53:56 +0100, "Stephen Mawson"
wrote:

"Jim K" wrote in message
me dyson stopped mid hoover - as if someone turned off the socket - which
they didn't & it still works a test lamp.

There's (at least on mine) an internal thermal cut-out which should re-set
itself after half an hour or so.

Yeah ours smoked enough for me to put it outside and it worked ok
after it cooled down

You can have a service for 65 quid from dyson. Don't know anyone who
has ever had one though.
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 26 Jul 2013 08:40:16 -0700, Jim K wrote:

me dyson stopped mid hoover - as if someone turned off the socket -
which they didn't & it still works a test lamp.

Used me Bosch multi detector to establish there is mains in the dyson
flex so fuse is OK...

took a few bits off it & the motor feels warm/hot but not hugely...

Would have helped if you'd mentioned a model!

I repaired an upright for a friend once...apparently the mains cable
often fails just where it bends and enters the machine. I shortened it
past the (internal to the insulation) break, and crimped on a new spade
connector from the auto parts shop down the road.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Jim K" wrote in message
me dyson stopped mid hoover - as if someone turned off the socket - which
they didn't & it still works a test lamp.

There's (at least on mine) an internal thermal cut-out which should re-set
itself after half an hour or so.

Yeah ours smoked enough for me to put it outside and it worked ok
after it cooled down

You can have a service for 65 quid from dyson. Don't know anyone who
has ever had one though.

I had one once - our DC14 suffered a motor failure. Chap came, replaced
motor, fixed / replaced anything else that looked worn, and departed. A
couple of bits he did not have in stock with him, so they were delivered
a couple of days later mail order.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 26 Jul 2013 17:21:25 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

You can have a service for 65 quid from dyson. Don't know anyone

who
has ever had one though.

I had one once - our DC14 suffered a motor failure. Chap came, replaced
motor, fixed / replaced anything else that looked worn, and departed. A
couple of bits he did not have in stock with him, so they were delivered
a couple of days later mail order.

Our ten plus year old DC04 was treated to a service several years
ago. In home, chap arrived at the scheduled time, replaced the worn
and broken bits, had dust sheet to work on, tidied up well, parts he
didn't have (the wand IIRC) arrived a day or two later. All for the
fixed fee.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , mogga
writes
wrote:

"Jim K" wrote in message
me dyson stopped mid hoover - as if someone turned off the socket - which
they didn't & it still works a test lamp.

There's (at least on mine) an internal thermal cut-out which should re-set
itself after half an hour or so.

Yeah ours smoked enough for me to put it outside and it worked ok
after it cooled down

You can have a service for 65 quid from dyson. Don't know anyone who
has ever had one though.

Bit more than that now but well worth it as they will replace anything
that's worn not just fix the original fault. It includes labour and
parts.
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , R.G. Bargy
writes
On 26/07/2013 16:40, Jim K wrote:
[...]

The early Dyson flexes tended to go brittle and crack. I think they are
a bit better now.
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 26 Jul 2013 16:40:16 +0100, Jim K wrote:

me dyson stopped mid hoover - as if someone turned off the socket - which they didn't & it still works a test lamp.

Used me Bosch multi detector to establish there is mains in the dyson flex so fuse is OK...

took a few bits off it & the motor feels warm/hot but not hugely...

Now what?

Cheers
Jim K

I saw the title and thought you meant the inventor had died.

In regards to the vacuum, throw it out and buy something not made in Britain. Or do what I do and collect broken ones on freecycle. People are constantly giving them away with all sorts of faults because they're a pile of ****e. Find two with a different fault and you've got a working one, for a while at least.

--
One of the first things you learn on your honeymoon is,
when you're carrying your bride over the threshold, always go in sideways,

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 26 Jul 2013 18:12:34 +0100, Gefreiter Krueger wrote:

I saw the title and thought you meant the inventor had died.

In regards to the vacuum, throw it out and buy something not made in
Britain.

They're not made in Britain.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 26 Jul 2013 18:21:32 +0100, Bob Eager wrote:

On Fri, 26 Jul 2013 18:12:34 +0100, Gefreiter Krueger wrote:

I saw the title and thought you meant the inventor had died.

In regards to the vacuum, throw it out and buy something not made in
Britain.

They're not made in Britain.

Designed in Britain then.

--
Eighty percent of married men cheat in America. The rest cheat in Europe.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

It seems to me that there is a huge number of people with failed Dysons
..... maybe it's just good marketing and selling of a poor product.

Heard people in work say "They are great, I'm on my 3rd"

I'm on my first vac system .... one that is more powerful and lasts :-)

On 26/07/2013 16:40, Jim K wrote:
me dyson stopped mid hoover - as if someone turned off the socket - which they didn't & it still works a test lamp.

Used me Bosch multi detector to establish there is mains in the dyson flex so fuse is OK...

took a few bits off it & the motor feels warm/hot but not hugely...

Now what?

Cheers
Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/07/13 18:21, Bob Eager wrote:
On Fri, 26 Jul 2013 18:12:34 +0100, Gefreiter Krueger wrote:

I saw the title and thought you meant the inventor had died.

In regards to the vacuum, throw it out and buy something not made in
Britain.

They're not made in Britain.

thank clapton for that. Otherwise they would be on strike for better pay
and conditions instead.

--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc-ra-cy) €“ a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Jim K" wrote in message

me dyson stopped mid hoover - as if someone turned off the socket - which

they didn't & it still works a test lamp.

There's (at least on mine) an internal thermal cut-out which should re-set

itself after half an hour or so.

Yeah ours smoked enough for me to put it outside and it worked ok

after it cooled down

et voila - an hour later it started up again - for another 1/2 hour then did same thing - conked....

diagnosis & treatment please?

cheers
Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff" wrote in news:ksuipn$5lu$1@dont-
email.me:

Is it one of dem digital motor jobbies, could be the control gear.
Brian

Seem to have ignored the thermal cutout and people are jumping onto the
cable. If it tripped and then reset then I would look for tight bearings on
the motor or the brush bar if it is an upright.Might also be worth looking
at the post-motor filter - if this is blocked then cooling air will not
pass through the motor - in fact any blockage wil reduce motor cooling.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 26 Jul 2013 12:53:42 -0700 (PDT), Jim K wrote:

et voila - an hour later it started up again - for another 1/2 hour then
did same thing - conked....

Your vacuuming takes more than 1/2 and hour! ...

Probably not getting enough cooling to work properly, pathways, vents
blocked or the pre motor filter blocked.

diagnosis & treatment please?

http://www.dyson.co.uk/support/arrangeservice.aspx

"Our fixed charge vacuum cleaner service of £79.00 (inc VAT) is fully
inclusive of spare parts and labour (excluding accessories and
filters)."

I doubt they pee about cleaning the old motor with the risk it may
have other faults after overheating. Quicker to swap the motor and
any other bits that are worn or bust will also be replaced.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/07/2013 20:53, Jim K wrote:

et voila - an hour later it started up again - for another 1/2 hour then did same thing - conked....

diagnosis & treatment please?

Sounds like lack of air flow, and hence cooling. Check and clean /
replace any filters, and make sure there are no blockages.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Jim K" wrote in message

me dyson stopped mid hoover - as if someone turned off the socket - which

they didn't & it still works a test lamp.

There's (at least on mine) an internal thermal cut-out which should re-set

itself after half an hour or so.

Yeah ours smoked enough for me to put it outside and it worked ok

after it cooled down

et voila - an hour later it started up again - for another 1/2 hour then
did same thing - conked....

diagnosis & treatment please?

cheers
Jim K

Blocked filters perhaps? If the filter for the motor is blocked it'll
overheat quickly.

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 7/26/2013 2:16 PM, Tim Streater wrote:

Mine is a DC01 and is 20 years old so **** to all those whingers who say
they fail after five minutes.

I have a DC01, too.
Perhaps we take better care of our stuff?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 7/26/2013 1:21 PM, Bob Eager wrote:
On Fri, 26 Jul 2013 18:12:34 +0100, Gefreiter Krueger wrote:

I saw the title and thought you meant the inventor had died.

In regards to the vacuum, throw it out and buy something not made in
Britain.

They're not made in Britain.

Mine was, but it's a DC01.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jim K writes:

diagnosis & treatment please?

Filter is blocked, caused by either it's never been washed (should be
done every 6 months with typical use), or the dust canister has been
overfilled, causing dust spill into the filter and clogging it.

Another possibility is one of the tubes is blocked.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 26 Jul 2013 20:22:07 GMT, DerbyBorn wrote:

Might also be worth looking at the post-motor filter - if this is
blocked then cooling air will not pass through the motor - in fact any
blockage wil reduce motor cooling.

True enough buta pre-motor blockage will also reduce the load on the
motor as it's not working shifting loads of air.

Still say it's not worth peeing about with a full, in home, service
costing just £79. How many hours is the OP going top spend faffing
about and probably still have to buy parts. A DC04 motor is £42...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Jim K" wrote in message
me dyson stopped mid hoover - as if someone turned off the socket - which
they didn't & it still works a test lamp.

There's (at least on mine) an internal thermal cut-out which should re-set
itself after half an hour or so.

Yeah ours smoked enough for me to put it outside and it worked ok
after it cooled down

You can have a service for 65 quid from dyson. Don't know anyone who
has ever had one though.

I had one once - our DC14 suffered a motor failure. Chap came, replaced
motor, fixed / replaced anything else that looked worn, and departed. A
couple of bits he did not have in stock with him, so they were delivered
a couple of days later mail order.

DC09 here - been serviced twice - first time it just "wasn't right"
- I'd gotten it for free after it had been used on a building site -
the Dyson chappie stripped it, cleaned it, gave us a new cyclone and a
new hepa filter (although we had to pay additional for that) It was
mainly the filters that were knackered as the removable one had never
been cleaned and that clogged the 2nd one.

2nd time the motor blew - quite spectacularly as I recall. He (same chap
that came 3 years prior) replaced the motor, gave us a Mk 2 cyclone,
replaced the brush and belt and some other widget. Removed the mains
flex, shortened it slightly and re-fitted it with a new terminal block
(I think). This was all included in the servicing price.

It's now 11 years old and still going strong.

Gordon

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim K" wrote in message
me dyson stopped mid hoover - as if someone turned off the socket - which
they didn't & it still works a test lamp.

Used me Bosch multi detector to establish there is mains in the dyson flex
so fuse is OK...

took a few bits off it & the motor feels warm/hot but not hugely...

Now what?

Cheers
Jim K

Assuming switches & flex OK, next most likely thoing is brushes (on motor)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
On Fri, 26 Jul 2013 20:22:07 GMT, DerbyBorn wrote:

Might also be worth looking at the post-motor filter - if this is
blocked then cooling air will not pass through the motor - in fact any
blockage wil reduce motor cooling.

True enough buta pre-motor blockage will also reduce the load on the
motor as it's not working shifting loads of air.

Still say it's not worth peeing about with a full, in home, service
costing just £79. How many hours is the OP going top spend faffing
about and probably still have to buy parts. A DC04 motor is £42...

--
Cheers
Dave.
====================================
My DC04 motor started cutting out - no obvious blockage or dirty filters -
then burnt out.
Replacement was £20 on ebay -
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DYSON-DC04...E-Vacuum-MOTOR
-240-/160733418125
various fitting instructions on Youtube - been working fine ever since

Chris

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Sorted. Fire ashes in the motor filter.
10 mins 79 saved plus the costs of titting abt waiting for repair man etc

Thanx all

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim K wrote:

et voila - an hour later it started up again - for another 1/2 hour then
did same thing - conked....

diagnosis & treatment please?

It's overheating.

Remove and clean or replace every filter in the thing.

Squirt a jet of water into the conical cyclone assembly, or better,
slosh it around in a bathtub of warm water to help loosen and eject
stuff that can't be shaken out. Let it dry thoroughly.

Daniele
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The cost of the full service seems good value. If it was a Miele then
people would be raving about it as being great service.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Miele then
people would be raving about it as being great service.

If it were a Miele, it wouldn't have broken in the first place.

.....because the owners would have been having them serviced!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, July 27, 2013 8:37:04 PM UTC+1, DerbyBorn wrote:
Miele then

people would be raving about it as being great service.

If it were a Miele, it wouldn't have broken in the first place.

....because the owners would have been having them serviced!

mmm but for how much & how often? IOW - what price smugness? ;)

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2013-07-27, DerbyBorn wrote:
The cost of the full service seems good value. If it was a Miele then
people would be raving about it as being great service.

If it were a Miele, it wouldn't have broken in the first place.

If it were a Miele the dust would still be on the floor.

Nothing sux like a Dyson D.M. Procida UK diy 15 January 1st 09 04:07 PM
vacuum cleaners (our Dyson finally died) Colin Wilson UK diy 20 October 15th 07 04:16 AM
Dyson's at it again. The Medway Handyman UK diy 44 November 16th 06 08:44 PM
Dyson DC4 ken UK diy 1 June 24th 06 01:00 PM
Looking for source of spare parts for Dyson appliances (other than Dyson!) [email protected] UK diy 7 April 5th 06 02:43 AM