Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fibreglass mould plug - what material?

Purely hypothetical:

Say I wanted ot make a custom waterfall spillway filter tank, like:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/314eAZp48zL.jpg

(I don't but I might in a year or two)

Assuming it was a one off, and I was happy to take a single cast from a male
plug negative - what would be a good material to use for the plug?

Something carvable/shapable would probably be necessary - there is some
internal detail not apparant in that picture.

Some sort of hard foam would be easy to work with - not sure if it is
suitable as a GRP plug though??

Reading this on the web? See:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/07/13 17:51, Tim Watts wrote:
Purely hypothetical:

Say I wanted ot make a custom waterfall spillway filter tank, like:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/314eAZp48zL.jpg

(I don't but I might in a year or two)

Assuming it was a one off, and I was happy to take a single cast from a male
plug negative - what would be a good material to use for the plug?

Something carvable/shapable would probably be necessary - there is some
internal detail not apparant in that picture.

Some sort of hard foam would be easy to work with - not sure if it is
suitable as a GRP plug though??

oh it is.

BUT it depends what finish you want to achieve.

you can rough in foam and then use body filler to get a decent finish,
and then dip the thing in wax for a release agent.

gel coat., lay up the **** and away you go.

--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc-ra-cy) €“ a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday 24 July 2013 18:04 The Natural Philosopher wrote in uk.d-i-y:

On 24/07/13 17:51, Tim Watts wrote:
Purely hypothetical:

Say I wanted ot make a custom waterfall spillway filter tank, like:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/314eAZp48zL.jpg

(I don't but I might in a year or two)

Assuming it was a one off, and I was happy to take a single cast from a
male plug negative - what would be a good material to use for the plug?

Something carvable/shapable would probably be necessary - there is some
internal detail not apparant in that picture.

Some sort of hard foam would be easy to work with - not sure if it is
suitable as a GRP plug though??

oh it is.

BUT it depends what finish you want to achieve.

you can rough in foam and then use body filler to get a decent finish,
and then dip the thing in wax for a release agent.

gel coat., lay up the **** and away you go.

Oooh - yes, I should have said - finish is not hugely important. This type
of device is submerged in water and hidden with rocks mostly.

All that matters is it is strong (to resist ground pressure and freezing
over winter).

By "dip in wax" do you mean literally coat with melted paraffin wax?

Reading this on the web? See: