Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default TOT; Salt & Vinegar controversy.

A controversy is raging at our local chippie.

Should you put the salt on first or the vinegar?

My view is that the vinegar should go on first.

That way, the salt sticks to the moisture & remains in place. If you
put the salt on first, the vinegar washes it down to the bottom of the bag.

Never mind Royal babies, this is important.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

A controversy is raging at our local chippie.

Should you put the salt on first or the vinegar?

My view is that the vinegar should go on first.

That way, the salt sticks to the moisture & remains in place. If you
put the salt on first, the vinegar washes it down to the bottom of the bag.

Never mind Royal babies, this is important.

I put salt on, then vinegar, then salt again. Then maybe some more
vinegar and then salt. But always finish with salt.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 23 July 2013 21:55:19 UTC+1, The Medway Handyman wrote:
A controversy is raging at our local chippie.

Should you put the salt on first or the vinegar?

My view is that the vinegar should go on first.

That way, the salt sticks to the moisture & remains in place. If you
put the salt on first, the vinegar washes it down to the bottom of the bag.

Never mind Royal babies, this is important.

I agree, it's the only logical method. Freud and Jung had a lot to say
about the salt-firsters.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

A controversy is raging at our local chippie.

Should you put the salt on first or the vinegar?

My view is that the vinegar should go on first.

That way, the salt sticks to the moisture & remains in place. If you
put the salt on first, the vinegar washes it down to the bottom of the bag.

Never mind Royal babies, this is important.

Do not put either on.

Take them where you are going to eat them, then put them on in either
order. That also allows choice of apple cider vinegar, wine vinegar, sea
salt, pepper, or whatever else. Because that also avoids leaving the
chips with vinegar on them for more than a brief time, sogginess is
largely avoided.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Piers wrote:

A controversy is raging at our local chippie.

Should you put the salt on first or the vinegar?

My view is that the vinegar should go on first.

That way, the salt sticks to the moisture & remains in place. If you
put the salt on first, the vinegar washes it down to the bottom of the bag.

Never mind Royal babies, this is important.

I put salt on, then vinegar, then salt again. Then maybe some more
vinegar and then salt. But always finish with salt.

Oh I like that technique!

I am a salt-first man: the vinegar carries the salt down to the lower
chip-layers, which would otherwise be boringly bland.[1]

However I like Piers' version.

Mind you, oop ere, (which is even further North than F&C heaven, the
West Riding), they often put the S&V on for you, so you don't get chance
to exercise your preferences.

J.

[1] For the same reason: sugar on cornflakes first, milk to wash it
down into the lower layers. Pier's Principle seems a good one to apply
here, too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 23 Jul 2013 22:25:57 +0100, Another John wrote:

Mind you, oop ere, (which is even further North than F&C heaven, the
West Riding),

That's south BWTH!

... they often put the S&V on for you, so you don't get chance
to exercise your preferences.

Ooo, I hate that. I don't like "vinegar"(*), just salt. Getting in
with "Just salt, please" before they add the salt and vinegar
simultaneously can really throw some servers. B-)

(*) Which is really nearly always non-brewed condiment, ie diluted
industrial acetic acid with a bit of colour/flavouring.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 23 Jul 2013 21:55:19 +0100, The Medway Handyman
wrote:

A controversy is raging at our local chippie.

Should you put the salt on first or the vinegar?

My view is that the vinegar should go on first.

That way, the salt sticks to the moisture & remains in place. If you
put the salt on first, the vinegar washes it down to the bottom of the bag.

Eschew vinegar - disgusting stuff.

Problem solved.
--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

A controversy is raging at our local chippie.

Should you put the salt on first or the vinegar?

My view is that the vinegar should go on first.

That way, the salt sticks to the moisture & remains in place. If you
put the salt on first, the vinegar washes it down to the bottom of the bag.

Eschew vinegar - disgusting stuff.

Problem solved.

This is what you should have.
http://edinburghsauce.com/brown-chippy-sauce.php

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Should you put the salt on first or the vinegar?

Never mind Royal babies, this is important.

Never mind that, what colour should they be?

JGH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message o.uk, Dave
Liquorice writes
On Tue, 23 Jul 2013 22:25:57 +0100, Another John wrote:

Mind you, oop ere, (which is even further North than F&C heaven, the
West Riding),

That's south BWTH!

... they often put the S&V on for you, so you don't get chance
to exercise your preferences.

Ooo, I hate that. I don't like "vinegar"(*), just salt. Getting in
with "Just salt, please" before they add the salt and vinegar
simultaneously can really throw some servers. B-)

They'll be Microsoft, then. I'll try and find me coat.

(*) Which is really nearly always non-brewed condiment, ie diluted
industrial acetic acid with a bit of colour/flavouring.

--
Nick (=----)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman scribbled...

A controversy is raging at our local chippie.

Should you put the salt on first or the vinegar?

My view is that the vinegar should go on first.

That way, the salt sticks to the moisture & remains in place. If you
put the salt on first, the vinegar washes it down to the bottom of the bag.

Never mind Royal babies, this is important.

First - are the chips worth the effort ?
Second - is the vinegar so watered down it tastes like gnats **** ?
Third - too much salt isn't good.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ scribbled...

wrote:

A controversy is raging at our local chippie.

Should you put the salt on first or the vinegar?

My view is that the vinegar should go on first.

That way, the salt sticks to the moisture & remains in place. If you
put the salt on first, the vinegar washes it down to the bottom of the bag.

Eschew vinegar - disgusting stuff.

Problem solved.

This is what you should have.
http://edinburghsauce.com/brown-chippy-sauce.php

Nearly as bad as the Welsh, who either drown the chips in gravy or curry
sauce. Philistines.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
A controversy is raging at our local chippie.

Should you put the salt on first or the vinegar?

My view is that the vinegar should go on first.

That way, the salt sticks to the moisture & remains in place. If you put
the salt on first, the vinegar washes it down to the bottom of the bag.

Never mind Royal babies, this is important.

You are correct. No doubt about it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Another John" wrote in message
In article ,
Piers wrote:

A controversy is raging at our local chippie.

Should you put the salt on first or the vinegar?

My view is that the vinegar should go on first.

That way, the salt sticks to the moisture & remains in place. If you
put the salt on first, the vinegar washes it down to the bottom of the
bag.

Never mind Royal babies, this is important.

I put salt on, then vinegar, then salt again. Then maybe some more
vinegar and then salt. But always finish with salt.

Oh I like that technique!

I am a salt-first man: the vinegar carries the salt down to the lower
chip-layers, which would otherwise be boringly bland.[1]

However I like Piers' version.

Mind you, oop ere, (which is even further North than F&C heaven, the
West Riding), they often put the S&V on for you, so you don't get chance
to exercise your preferences.

It is not vinegar BTW.
It is "Non brewed condiment"

Some concoction of acetic acid.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-brewed_condiment

Real vinegar is expensive.
Most of the supermarket **** is not vinegar either.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

jgh put finger to keyboard:

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Should you put the salt on first or the vinegar?

Never mind Royal babies, this is important.

Never mind that, what colour should they be?

The chips or the royal babies?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim+ wrote:

This is what you should have.
http://edinburghsauce.com/brown-chippy-sauce.php

I was just about to say: Salt & Sauce?

Pakora and chilli sauce was a good alternative though. Can't get good
pakora down here in Devon )-:

Gordon (from that part of the world, now displaced somewhat)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"harryagain" wrote:

It is not vinegar BTW.
It is "Non brewed condiment" -- Some concoction of acetic acid.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-brewed_condiment

AYE but!!! Chip Shop vinegar is part of the Chip Shop experience! As
is eating them out in the open air, as soon as you leave the shop.

However, all variations of the Chip Shop theme are acceptable treats
(esp these days, when we can only afford to go once a month, if that)

Also Artic said:

Third - too much salt isn't good.

Aye: we know. Hence the extra-specialness of the monthly Chip Shop treat
:-)

J.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2013-07-23, The Medway Handyman wrote:

A controversy is raging at our local chippie.

Should you put the salt on first or the vinegar?

My view is that the vinegar should go on first.

That way, the salt sticks to the moisture & remains in place. If you
put the salt on first, the vinegar washes it down to the bottom of the bag.

I agree, although I prefer Henderson's Relish to vinegar if it's
available.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, July 24, 2013 1:38:01 AM UTC+1, Artic wrote:
Tim+ scribbled...

wrote:

A controversy is raging at our local chippie.

Should you put the salt on first or the vinegar?

My view is that the vinegar should go on first.

That way, the salt sticks to the moisture & remains in place. If you

put the salt on first, the vinegar washes it down to the bottom of the bag.

Eschew vinegar - disgusting stuff.

Problem solved.

This is what you should have.

http://edinburghsauce.com/brown-chippy-sauce.php

Nearly as bad as the Welsh, who either drown the chips in gravy or curry

sauce. Philistines.

The Belgians prefer Mayonnaise. Its quite nice too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , fred
writes

wrote:

A controversy is raging at our local chippie.

Should you put the salt on first or the vinegar?

My view is that the vinegar should go on first.

That way, the salt sticks to the moisture & remains in place. If you

put the salt on first, the vinegar washes it down to the bottom
of the bag.

Eschew vinegar - disgusting stuff.

Problem solved.

This is what you should have.

http://edinburghsauce.com/brown-chippy-sauce.php

Nearly as bad as the Welsh, who either drown the chips in gravy or curry

sauce. Philistines.

Don't knock it till you've tried it!

The Belgians prefer Mayonnaise. Its quite nice too.

But I draw the line at that. [Reaches for the sick bucket]
--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, July 24, 2013 10:38:26 AM UTC+1, fred wrote:
The Belgians prefer Mayonnaise. Its quite nice too.

I like tartar sauce. It's got a tartness that helps cut through the grease. (I don't like vinegar.)

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2013-07-24, Ian Jackson wrote:

The Belgians prefer Mayonnaise. Its quite nice too.

But I draw the line at that. [Reaches for the sick bucket]

Shame on you. Mayonnaise on chips is lovely.

I would agree but that doesn't obviate the need for salt and vinegar
(and salt) as well.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2013-07-23, The Medway Handyman wrote:

A controversy is raging at our local chippie.

Should you put the salt on first or the vinegar?

My view is that the vinegar should go on first.

That way, the salt sticks to the moisture & remains in place. If you
put the salt on first, the vinegar washes it down to the bottom of the bag.

I agree, although I prefer Henderson's Relish to vinegar if it's
available.

Mayonnaise is better than all of them

Mayo is good too (not at the same time).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

A controversy is raging at our local chippie.

Should you put the salt on first or the vinegar?

Vinegar first... then extra vinegar, and you can forget the salt
altogether after that ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jethro_uk wrote:
While we're talking about chip shops, why is Rock Salmon unheard of in
the Midlands

Because the Midlanders know what it actually is?

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2013-07-24, Ian Jackson wrote:

The Belgians prefer Mayonnaise. Its quite nice too.

But I draw the line at that. [Reaches for the sick bucket]

Shame on you. Mayonnaise on chips is lovely.

I would agree but that doesn't obviate the need for salt and vinegar

(and salt) as well.

What about pepper, I occasinaly add black pepper as well as S&V but chippies rarely have it.
Oh and garlic suace on kebabs I don't really like chilly sauce.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
A controversy is raging at our local chippie.

Should you put the salt on first or the vinegar?

Vinegar first... then extra vinegar, and you can forget the salt
altogether after that ;-)

I like a few chips with the salt and vinegar.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/07/13 13:45, John Williamson wrote:
Jethro_uk wrote:
While we're talking about chip shops, why is Rock Salmon unheard of
in the Midlands

Because the Midlanders know what it actually is?

Because they call it 'cod' :-)

--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc-ra-cy) €“ a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 24 July 2013 13:07:39 UTC+1, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Wed, 24 Jul 2013 12:33:48 +0100, Tim Streater wrote:

In article ,

On 2013-07-24, Ian Jackson

wrote:

The Belgians prefer Mayonnaise. Its quite nice too.

But I draw the line at that. [Reaches for the sick bucket]

Shame on you. Mayonnaise on chips is lovely.

+1

But we also have to distinguish between the proper french fries type of

chips and the chip shop soggy rubbish we get here.

A Dutch colleague told me that british chips get soggy 'cos they're only

cooked at 180 instead of 200 (or was it 160 instead of 180. Can't

remember).

Am I weird in preferring chip shop chips to be soggy ? If I wanted fries,

I'd got to McDonalds.

Yep, they ain't even proper chips aren't they made from corn starch rather than potaotoes.

While we're talking about chip shops, why is Rock Salmon unheard of in

the Midlands

No idea, is it salmon, I've had Rock n'n chips which is a sort of dogfish IIRC that has a lareg bobe down the centre which some cats love to chew on.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jethro_uk wrote:
While we're talking about chip shops, why is Rock Salmon unheard of
in the Midlands

Because the Midlanders know what it actually is?

Because they call it 'cod' :-)

Not round here, they don't. Rock cod in some places, maybe, but cod
round here is definitely not the same thing. It may be just some random
white fish, but it definitely ain't Rock Salmon.

I don't remember ever seeing it for sale much north of Luton.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Huge wrote:
On 2013-07-24, Ian Jackson
wrote:
[...]

That's the stuff. Dogfish. The chewy bit that cats love is the
cartilagous spine.

Hmmm... Apparently, the local ones are endangered.

http://www.sharktrust.org/en/rock_salmon

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 24 Jul 2013 12:33:48 +0100, Tim Streater wrote:

But we also have to distinguish between the proper french fries type of
chips and the chip shop soggy rubbish we get here.

That's the problem with chip shops, the chips are very variable. I
like a crisp and golden on the outside, hot and medium fluffy on the
inside chip. Not the barely warm slimey thing that some chippies
serve.

A Dutch colleague told me that british chips get soggy 'cos they're only
cooked at 180 instead of 200 (or was it 160 instead of 180. Can't
remember).

Quite possibly and not par-boiling before frying.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/07/2013 08:56, Nightjar wrote:

Take them where you are going to eat them, then put them on in either
order. That also allows choice of apple cider vinegar, wine vinegar, sea
salt, pepper, or whatever else. Because that also avoids leaving the
chips with vinegar on them for more than a brief time, sogginess is
largely avoided.

+1

+2 I use lemon juice and black pepper

The chips have also got to be real chips - not those matchstick things
that always taste of cardboard, irrespective of what you put on them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/07/2013 10:38, fred wrote:

The Belgians prefer Mayonnaise. Its quite nice too.

Catering Mayonnaise is more like an emulsion of water and lard. In my
works canteen the cook thinks that all salad items need to be pre-coated
in this stuff - sod healthy eating choices.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/07/2013 15:01, alan wrote:
On 24/07/2013 08:56, Nightjar wrote:

Take them where you are going to eat them, then put them on in either
order. That also allows choice of apple cider vinegar, wine vinegar, sea
salt, pepper, or whatever else. Because that also avoids leaving the
chips with vinegar on them for more than a brief time, sogginess is
largely avoided.

+1

+2 I use lemon juice and black pepper

The chips have also got to be real chips - not those matchstick things
that always taste of cardboard, irrespective of what you put on them.

Blame the Belgians for those. They taught American soldiers how to make
frites during WW1. American knowledge of geography being what it is,
they called them French fries. SFAIK, only Britain and Greece make
proper sized chips.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Streater wrote:
A Dutch colleague told me that british chips get soggy 'cos they're only
cooked at 180 instead of 200 (or was it 160 instead of 180. Can't
remember).

Chips are supposed to be about half an inch thick, crisp on the outside
and fluffy/soft/slightly soggy on the inside. Soggy chips comes from
(re)heating the oil as you cook them, you need to put the potato straight
into hot oil.

JGH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/07/2013 09:14, Another John wrote:

Also Artic said:

Third - too much salt isn't good.

Aye: we know. Hence the extra-specialness of the monthly Chip Shop treat
:-)

J.

But is the amount you'd get in a chippy "too much"? There are quite a
few people who need to consume more salt than is usually quoted as the
maximum "allowed" - for example, sufferers of Addison's. And there are
serious question marks over the assertions that we all need to reduce
our salt intakes.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2013-07-23, The Medway Handyman wrote:

A controversy is raging at our local chippie.

Should you put the salt on first or the vinegar?

My view is that the vinegar should go on first.

That way, the salt sticks to the moisture & remains in place. If you
put the salt on first, the vinegar washes it down to the bottom of the bag.

I agree, although I prefer Henderson's Relish to vinegar if it's
available.

Mayonnaise is better than all of them

Mayo is good too (not at the same time).

They have a clinic for that in the USA... :-)

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2013-07-24, Ian Jackson
wrote:

The Belgians prefer Mayonnaise. Its quite nice too.

But I draw the line at that. [Reaches for the sick bucket]

Shame on you. Mayonnaise on chips is lovely.

+1

But we also have to distinguish between the proper french fries type of
chips and the chip shop soggy rubbish we get here.

A Dutch colleague told me that british chips get soggy 'cos they're only
cooked at 180 instead of 200 (or was it 160 instead of 180. Can't
remember).

Am I weird in preferring chip shop chips to be soggy ? If I wanted fries,
I'd got to McDonalds.

+1

While we're talking about chip shops, why is Rock Salmon unheard of in
the Midlands

Hake?

Obama's Middle Name Controversy Jim Thompson Electronic Schematics 9 March 2nd 08 09:24 PM
Obama's Middle Name Controversy JosephKK[_2_] Electronics Repair 0 March 2nd 08 07:20 AM
DIY controversy Boothbay Home Repair 7 May 10th 06 07:33 PM
Salt and Vinegar - Rust removal from cast iron mikee Metalworking 14 January 28th 05 12:59 PM
Salt and vinegar for rust removal Paul O. Woodworking 89 May 21st 04 09:20 PM