mikee

Default Salt and Vinegar - Rust removal from cast iron

I've tried the vinegar saturated with salt method to sucessfully remove
rust from steel items.

Does anyone know if the same vinegar/salt solution can be used can be
used on cast iron pieces?

Mike Eberlein

Grant Erwin

mikee wrote:

I've tried the vinegar saturated with salt method to sucessfully remove
rust from steel items.

Does anyone know if the same vinegar/salt solution can be used can be
used on cast iron pieces?

Mike Eberlein

I'd be surprised if it didn't work. Steel is 98% iron after all. - GWE
Leo Lichtman

"Grant Erwin" wrote: I'd be surprised if it didn't work. Steel is 98% iron
after all. - GWE
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Furthermore, iron oxide is iron oxide, and that's what you're dissolving.

jim rozen

In article , mikee says...

Does anyone know if the same vinegar/salt solution can be used can be
used on cast iron pieces?

It worked for me. Degrease as well as possible before
doing this.

Jim

please reply to:
Gerald Miller

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 16:29:34 -0800, Grant Erwin
wrote:

mikee wrote:

I've tried the vinegar saturated with salt method to sucessfully remove
rust from steel items.

Does anyone know if the same vinegar/salt solution can be used can be
used on cast iron pieces?

Mike Eberlein

I'd be surprised if it didn't work. Steel is 98% iron after all. - GWE

Just don't try to de-rust spring steel.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

bw

"Tim Williams" wrote in message
news
"Grant Erwin" wrote in message
I'd be surprised if it didn't work. Steel is 98% iron after all. - GWE

More accurately, iron is 95% steel

(Yep, it's weird like that...)

Tim

I don't see your joke. Maybe you are confusing "cast iron" with elemental
Iron.

mikee

Thanks, Jim. I was hoping someone had actually tried it. I've got a
relatively expensive casting I want to derust, and it was either the
vinegar solution or beadblasting to remove the stuff.

Mike Eberlein

jim rozen wrote:

In article , mikee says...

Does anyone know if the same vinegar/salt solution can be used can be
used on cast iron pieces?

It worked for me. Degrease as well as possible before
doing this.

Jim

please reply to:

DoN. Nichols

In article , mikee wrote:
Thanks, Jim. I was hoping someone had actually tried it. I've got a
relatively expensive casting I want to derust, and it was either the
vinegar solution or beadblasting to remove the stuff.

Or -- electrolytic rust removal.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
jim rozen

In article , DoN. Nichols says...

In article , mikee wrote:
Thanks, Jim. I was hoping someone had actually tried it. I've got a
relatively expensive casting I want to derust, and it was either the
vinegar solution or beadblasting to remove the stuff.

Or -- electrolytic rust removal.

I've used both to good advantage. Honestly the
electrolytic method does have an edge over the
salt/vinegar approach, as the residue left behind
is a bit less troublesome. Though it is somewhat
more trouble as it requires a power supply, etc.

Jim

please reply to:
SteveF

"jim rozen" wrote in message
In article , DoN. Nichols says...

In article , mikee
wrote:
Thanks, Jim. I was hoping someone had actually tried it. I've got a
relatively expensive casting I want to derust, and it was either the
vinegar solution or beadblasting to remove the stuff.

Or -- electrolytic rust removal.

I've used both to good advantage. Honestly the
electrolytic method does have an edge over the
salt/vinegar approach, as the residue left behind
is a bit less troublesome. Though it is somewhat
more trouble as it requires a power supply, etc.

Jim

No, Jim. It means you have a good reason to buy a 12v battery charger to
add to the tool collection.

Steve.

Harold & Susan Vordos

"bw" wrote in message
"Tim Williams" wrote in message
news
"Grant Erwin" wrote in message
I'd be surprised if it didn't work. Steel is 98% iron after all. - GWE

More accurately, iron is 95% steel

(Yep, it's weird like that...)

Tim

I don't see your joke. Maybe you are confusing "cast iron" with elemental
Iron.

I have to agree. The iron used in making laminations for motors and
transformers typically is carbon free.

Harold

Harold & Susan Vordos

"mikee" wrote in message
Thanks, Jim. I was hoping someone had actually tried it. I've got a
relatively expensive casting I want to derust, and it was either the
vinegar solution or beadblasting to remove the stuff.

Mike Eberlein

jim rozen wrote:

In article , mikee says...

Does anyone know if the same vinegar/salt solution can be used can be
used on cast iron pieces?

It worked for me. Degrease as well as possible before
doing this.

Jim

The bead blasting offers a (minor) benefit due to the peening action, and
will generally improve the surface, so given a choice between the two, if
you're trying to improve the object, I think I'd choose the bead process.

Harold

jim rozen

In article , Harold & Susan Vordos says...

The bead blasting offers a (minor) benefit due to the peening action, and
will generally improve the surface, so given a choice between the two, if
you're trying to improve the object, I think I'd choose the bead process.

The trouble with bead blasting is, solid metal is removes as well
as oxide. For machine tools it's obvious to try to maintain as
much accuracy as possible when doing this - as a very smart person
once pointed out to me.....

The electrolytic method does not touch the unoxidised metal.

Jim

please reply to:
Harold & Susan Vordos

"jim rozen" wrote in message
In article , Harold & Susan Vordos says...

The bead blasting offers a (minor) benefit due to the peening action, and
will generally improve the surface, so given a choice between the two, if
you're trying to improve the object, I think I'd choose the bead process.

The trouble with bead blasting is, solid metal is removes as well
as oxide. For machine tools it's obvious to try to maintain as
much accuracy as possible when doing this - as a very smart person
once pointed out to me.....

The electrolytic method does not touch the unoxidised metal.

Jim

Chuckle!!
Ok, I agree, assuming it's a machine tool he's talking about. If it's a
rusty old water pump that he wants to paint for display, I might feel
differently. He didn't really say. I'm not sure any of the procedures is
as good as never having to deal with the problem in the first place.

Bead blasting is supposed to remove little to nothing from the base metal,
but with cast iron I'm not convinced it doesn't. For certain it removes the
free graphite from the surface. I know it has precious little affect on
stainless.

Harold

molasses (say a cup) in a bucket of water also works well, if slow ( think a
week or two...) and tends to be smelly.....

Leaves the cast completely clean back to grey, after a brush up. Will rust
again though...

russ

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message
In article , mikee