Harold & Susan Vordos

"jim rozen" wrote in message
In article , Harold & Susan Vordos says...

The bead blasting offers a (minor) benefit due to the peening action, and
will generally improve the surface, so given a choice between the two, if
you're trying to improve the object, I think I'd choose the bead process.

The trouble with bead blasting is, solid metal is removes as well
as oxide. For machine tools it's obvious to try to maintain as
much accuracy as possible when doing this - as a very smart person
once pointed out to me.....

The electrolytic method does not touch the unoxidised metal.

Jim

Chuckle!!
Ok, I agree, assuming it's a machine tool he's talking about. If it's a
rusty old water pump that he wants to paint for display, I might feel
differently. He didn't really say. I'm not sure any of the procedures is
as good as never having to deal with the problem in the first place.

Bead blasting is supposed to remove little to nothing from the base metal,
but with cast iron I'm not convinced it doesn't. For certain it removes the
free graphite from the surface. I know it has precious little affect on
stainless.

Harold