Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default vinegar weed killer- result

I said I would try it and post back...

For the test I used a pint of white vinegar + a teaspoon of salt, in a
small spray bottle. It sort of worked on the lighter weeds after two
days, killing the leaves, but not the stem. It had no noticeabel effect
at all on the woodier weeds. It has been constant heat and sun for the
past week since applying, until a light rain shower this morning - if
that might have made any difference.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
. uk...
I said I would try it and post back...

For the test I used a pint of white vinegar + a teaspoon of salt, in a
small spray bottle. It sort of worked on the lighter weeds after two days,
killing the leaves, but not the stem. It had no noticeabel effect at all
on the woodier weeds. It has been constant heat and sun for the past week
since applying, until a light rain shower this morning - if that might
have made any difference.

Yes. I have been trying the same thing with brown malt vinegar and after a
few applications it has worked.

I don't have any big weeds to try it on.
It did not work on blades of grass though.
No rain.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/07/2013 14:29, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
I said I would try it and post back...

For the test I used a pint of white vinegar + a teaspoon of salt, in a
small spray bottle. It sort of worked on the lighter weeds after two
days, killing the leaves, but not the stem. It had no noticeabel effect
at all on the woodier weeds. It has been constant heat and sun for the
past week since applying, until a light rain shower this morning - if
that might have made any difference.

Sounds like it would have been more useful on fish and chips! g

--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
. uk...
I said I would try it and post back...

For the test I used a pint of white vinegar + a teaspoon of salt, in a
small spray bottle. It sort of worked on the lighter weeds after two days,
killing the leaves, but not the stem. It had no noticeabel effect at all
on the woodier weeds. It has been constant heat and sun for the past week
since applying, until a light rain shower this morning - if that might
have made any difference.

Put it in a red can, attach a spray gun and sell it to B&Q as "Weedol
Rootkill" at a tenner a pop, it sounds about as effective.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
I said I would try it and post back...

For the test I used a pint of white vinegar + a teaspoon of salt, in a
small spray bottle. It sort of worked on the lighter weeds after two
days, killing the leaves, but not the stem. It had no noticeabel effect
at all on the woodier weeds. It has been constant heat and sun for the
past week since applying, until a light rain shower this morning - if
that might have made any difference.

...of course use of unapproved substances in the garden is an offence :-)

from HSE

"Approvals for Pesticides in the UK

The law requires that only plant protection products authorised by
Ministers shall be sold, supplied, used, stored or advertised."

But then I guess no-one has paid for dihydrogen monoxide to be approved
for use in the garden.

Chris K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris K wrote:
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
I said I would try it and post back...

For the test I used a pint of white vinegar + a teaspoon of salt, in a
small spray bottle. It sort of worked on the lighter weeds after two
days, killing the leaves, but not the stem. It had no noticeabel effect
at all on the woodier weeds. It has been constant heat and sun for the
past week since applying, until a light rain shower this morning - if
that might have made any difference.

..of course use of unapproved substances in the garden is an offence :-)

from HSE

"Approvals for Pesticides in the UK

The law requires that only plant protection products authorised by
Ministers shall be sold, supplied, used, stored or advertised."

But then I guess no-one has paid for dihydrogen monoxide to be approved
for use in the garden.

Chris K

Maybe safe from jail time for the moment, see

https://secure.pesticides.gov.uk/gar...21190&pageno=1

:-)

Chris K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:

I said I would try it and post back...

For the test I used a pint of white vinegar + a teaspoon of salt, in a
small spray bottle. It sort of worked on the lighter weeds after two
days, killing the leaves, but not the stem. It had no noticeabel effect
at all on the woodier weeds. It has been constant heat and sun for the
past week since applying, until a light rain shower this morning - if
that might have made any difference.

Why anyone would expect that to work is beyond me. The salt may do some
damage, but it will also damage your soil to a greater extent than any
commercial weedkiller. Another case of an idiot who knows no chemistry
whatsoever ****ing about with two chemicals he doesn't understand.

Still, it's all a big consipracy that agrochemical companies employ
people who know what they are doing.

--
Burn Hollywood burn, burn down to the ground
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, July 21, 2013 2:29:25 PM UTC+1, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
I said I would try it and post back... For the test I used a pint of white vinegar + a teaspoon of salt, in a small spray bottle. It sort of worked on the lighter weeds after two days, killing the leaves, but not the stem. It had no noticeabel effect at all on the woodier weeds. It has been constant heat and sun for the past week since applying, until a light rain shower this morning - if that might have made any difference. -- Regards, Harry (M1BYT) (L) http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Try adding a bit of DX grease
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
Kipper at sea writes
On Sunday, July 21, 2013 2:29:25 PM UTC+1, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
I said I would try it and post back... For the test I used a pint of
white vinegar + a teaspoon of salt, in a small spray bottle. It sort
of worked on the lighter weeds after two days, killing the leaves, but
not the stem. It had no noticeabel effect at all on the woodier weeds.
It has been constant heat and sun for the past week since applying,
until a light rain shower this morning - if that might have made any
difference. -- Regards, Harry (M1BYT) (L) http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Try adding a bit of DX grease

http://www.hswalsh.com/product/molyc...grease-hg60200

Is this effective against all types of weed? I feel that wee need to
know more after seeing the cost.

--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Firth wrote:
Harry Bloomfield wrote:

I said I would try it and post back...

For the test I used a pint of white vinegar + a teaspoon of salt, in
a small spray bottle. It sort of worked on the lighter weeds after
two days, killing the leaves, but not the stem. It had no noticeabel
effect at all on the woodier weeds. It has been constant heat and
sun for the past week since applying, until a light rain shower this
morning - if that might have made any difference.

Why anyone would expect that to work is beyond me. The salt may do
some damage, but it will also damage your soil to a greater extent
than any commercial weedkiller. Another case of an idiot who knows no
chemistry whatsoever ****ing about with two chemicals he doesn't
understand.

Oddly enough workmen's **** does kill grass:-).

The place I am working at has no toilet. It does however have 4.3 acres of
garden. But the only place you can have a **** in private is behind the
summerhouse (I suppose you could walk to behind the stables if you fancied
the long walk). The grass behind the summerhouse is as dead as the foliage
around a Napalmed Vietnamese village. Possibly worse chemicals were used by
us than the US.

--
Adam

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Chris Hogg
writes
On Sun, 21 Jul 2013 14:29:25 +0100, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:

I said I would try it and post back...

For the test I used a pint of white vinegar + a teaspoon of salt, in a
small spray bottle. It sort of worked on the lighter weeds after two
days, killing the leaves, but not the stem. It had no noticeabel effect
at all on the woodier weeds. It has been constant heat and sun for the
past week since applying, until a light rain shower this morning - if
that might have made any difference.

Battery acid (i.e. conc. sulphuric acid) is very effective at burning
off top growth. Farmers regularly use it on potato crops to burn off
the foliage and prevent the transmission of blight down to the tubers,
which can then be left in the soil until the farmer is ready to lift
them. Cheaper than most of the other defoliants, but won't deal with
deep-rooted weeds such as dandelions or docks; they'll just re-sprout.

Said to seriously annoy ladies crossing such fields wearing nylon
stockings.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Firth wrote:
Harry Bloomfield wrote:

I said I would try it and post back...

For the test I used a pint of white vinegar + a teaspoon of salt, in
a small spray bottle. It sort of worked on the lighter weeds after
two days, killing the leaves, but not the stem. It had no noticeabel
effect at all on the woodier weeds. It has been constant heat and
sun for the past week since applying, until a light rain shower this
morning - if that might have made any difference.

Why anyone would expect that to work is beyond me. The salt may do
some damage, but it will also damage your soil to a greater extent
than any commercial weedkiller. Another case of an idiot who knows no
chemistry whatsoever ****ing about with two chemicals he doesn't
understand.

Still, it's all a big consipracy that agrochemical companies employ
people who know what they are doing.

It might be Australian vinegar, or it could be some weird
agrochemicalvinegar which was banned by those bottoms in parliament, but not
before he ordered 5000 litres of it for this very purpose?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:

Dog **** is more effective, Dalmatian **** more so.

The place I am working at has no toilet. It does however have 4.3 acres of
garden. But the only place you can have a **** in private is behind the
summerhouse (I suppose you could walk to behind the stables if you fancied
the long walk). The grass behind the summerhouse is as dead as the foliage
around a Napalmed Vietnamese village. Possibly worse chemicals were used by
us than the US.

Well the greens claim you can find glyphosate herbicide in the urine of
everyone in Britain, maybe that's it? I mean the greens wouldn't tell
lies, would they?

--
Burn Hollywood burn, burn down to the ground
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/07/2013 14:29, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
I said I would try it and post back...

For the test I used a pint of white vinegar + a teaspoon of salt, in a
small spray bottle. It sort of worked on the lighter weeds after two
days, killing the leaves, but not the stem. It had no noticeabel effect
at all on the woodier weeds. It has been constant heat and sun for the
past week since applying, until a light rain shower this morning - if
that might have made any difference.

Weed killer - salt & vinegar. One is designed for use on chips, one is
designed to kill weeds.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 21 Jul 2013 17:25:42 +0100, Chris K
wrote:

"Approvals for Pesticides in the UK

The law requires that only plant protection products authorised by
Ministers shall be sold, supplied, used, stored or advertised."

Really? Now that kind of turns on its head the principle of English
law which is generally that everything is ok unless it's specifically
outlawed.
I really dislike these pieces of catch-all legislation, dreamed up by
busybodies in government cupboards. Getting very European, if you ask
me.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, July 21, 2013 2:29:25 PM UTC+1, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
I said I would try it and post back...

For the test I used a pint of white vinegar + a teaspoon of salt, in a

small spray bottle. It sort of worked on the lighter weeds after two

days, killing the leaves, but not the stem. It had no noticeabel effect

at all on the woodier weeds. It has been constant heat and sun for the

past week since applying, until a light rain shower this morning - if

that might have made any difference.

--

Regards,

Harry (M1BYT) (L)

http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

For many years we have wiped down the window surrounds on a boat as an annual treatment before we lay it up for the winter. It is very effective at keeping moss growth at bay. (I'm calling it moss as that's what it looks like to me, could be elephant grass for all I know.)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jethro_uk wrote:
On Sun, 21 Jul 2013 20:06:29 +0100, ARWadsworth wrote:

Steve Firth wrote:
Harry Bloomfield wrote:

[...]

ISTR that nettles flourish with a regular ****ing - it's a sure sign
of prolonged human activity in an area.

Wild toimato plants are another good indication. Tomato seeds
pass through the human gut quite unaffected.

Jim Hawkins

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Mentalguy2k8 wrote:
"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
. uk...
I said I would try it and post back...

For the test I used a pint of white vinegar + a teaspoon of salt, in
a small spray bottle. It sort of worked on the lighter weeds after
two days, killing the leaves, but not the stem. It had no noticeabel
effect at all on the woodier weeds. It has been constant heat and
sun for the past week since applying, until a light rain shower this
morning - if that might have made any difference.

Put it in a red can, attach a spray gun and sell it to B&Q as "Weedol
Rootkill" at a tenner a pop, it sounds about as effective.

:-)

--
Adam

How does weed killer work? Stan Brown Home Ownership 0 May 20th 12 02:15 PM
What is most available, easy to use weed killer? Robert Macy[_2_] Home Repair 33 April 23rd 12 04:06 AM
Weed killer ... ?? Arfa Daily UK diy 47 May 29th 11 08:25 PM
Weed Killer ROANIN[_2_] Home Repair 41 October 1st 10 02:19 AM
spot weed killer? tenplay Home Repair 32 July 7th 10 05:32 PM